Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Patton hates Wolfmother

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oi, don't knock Evergrey!

But yeah, there's absolutely loads of good stuff out there, I just named off a few things that came to my mind first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Lads arguing about music is mostly futile, like politics and religion. However I must argue the case here-Mike Patton does bring alot to music, if there wasn't lunatics like him pushing the envelope it would be a boring world indeed. Saw Faith No More 4 times and each one was special. Met the band and they were quite sound.
    Of course the band were hit and miss but some classics also:
    Caffeine, RV, Crack Hitler, King for a Day, Digging the Grave, Zombie Eaters, As the worm turns, The Crab Song among my faves.
    Some of the Mr Bungle stuff is also brilliant - not metal but still. The whole "California" album to me their most acomplished and features Patton at his vocal prime.
    Fantomas are interesting. I love their latest "Suspended Animation" it is bonecrushingly heavy mixed with sesame street interludes! "The Directors Cut" and the first album are also good- however "Delirium Cordial" is beyond me.
    Tomahawk are just a decent rock band - some good stuff.
    I love Pattons work with Bjork on "Medulla" a vocal album with no music, very different. Check out the Melvins also.
    Pattons 2 solo albums are interesting and probably worth the money. Some of the tracks that feature John Zorn on trumpet are fantastic. Of course there is a lot of junk but when you hit a gem its special.
    I think its great to see a mainstream vocalist turning the other way and choosing independent and underground music as his livelihood- he set up a record label that has some very decent bands Ipecac.
    Melt Banana from Japan are excellent as is The Locust.
    Without Patton alot of these artists would have disappeared.
    He is the opposite of a sellout.
    Well thats music next religion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

buck65 wrote:
    Lads arguing about music is mostly futile, like politics and religion.

That's what's so great about it. If there was a definitive answer one way or the other, discussions would be incredibly boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

buck65 wrote:
    Saw Faith No More 4 times

i hate you so very much right now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Karl and LID have basically just supported my point, in that yes, there are numerous good bands that have sprung up in the last decade, but if you compare their lists that have been posted to a list of trailblazing bands from the previous three decades the difference in quality shows.

I myself am a big fan of a number of the bands listed but that doesn't change the fact that there was much more to shout about back in the day. Surprised that no-one will acknowledge that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I still don't get what you mean about there being more to shout about back in the day. It's not like all of a sudden great bands stopped appearing and only good ones exist now. It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight that Pink Floyd, Can, King Crimson, etc. were legends but I'm sure at the time there was a hippy version of AlanOB saying: "Man, these modern bands are good and all but they sure ain't no Elvis." The thing about living through a cultural explosion is that you don't know it's a revolution until it's over and you look back. We could be all saying in 20 years: "Yeah, I was there when Radiohead freaked out and bought synthesisers."

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Hindsight is overrated.

The passage of time isn't going to make Radiohead's music anymore interesting than it already isn't.

Nor has the passage of time made Rush's music greater than it already was.

And I seriously doubt my 70's version would be pining for Elvis. I'd be revelling in the explosion of cerebral, complex rock music.

Then again, being that you are the mod of the Alternative forum we're probably never going to come to a consensus anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

AlanOB, you come across as extremely closed minded.

Rush, Yes, Tull, Floyd etc. are great in one way, Radiohead, Dinosaur Jr. , Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Aphex Twin, Lightning Bolt and many more bands from the last 15 years or so are great in other ways. Music changes, embrace it. Nowadays you generally have to venture futher than the charts to find decent stuff. But I don't see where you're coming from when you say the 70s was better for music. Better for classic/claassic prog rock music maybe, but not for music in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

As for modern bands being derivative of other stuff that came before it, all music is derivative if something. Prog bands derived their "sophistication" by using techniques applied in jazz or classical music to rock (and folk too). Modern bands do the same, deriving their sound by using the derivations of King Crimson or Pink Floyd or Yes to create an even more layered or sophisticated soundscape. We are beings of reference, we can never create something totally new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

haha,thats deadly,saw peeping tom last week in new york,quirte impressed i must say

• Advertisement
Advertisement