Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

movies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

trixter wrote:
    I have one hand

How do you get your jeans on?

According to this thread, Meade's is on Oliver Plunket Street. Could be a bit of a walk if it's raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

How do you get your jeans on?
    normally one leg at a time, how do you do it?

While I have one hand, I can do most anything anyone else can, even if I dont possess the talent to do them well. I cannot play classical guitar, but I havent found much else I cant do, although hurling seems like it would be a bit hard for me, I played lacrosse, the net at the end helps and generally the games are similar, although in lacrosse its legal to hit someone as hard as you want with the stick which makes it fun :)

According to this thread, Meade's is on Oliver Plunket Street. Could be a bit of a walk if it's raining.
    meh that isnt a walk, I live *right* across from the gate and walk there almost daily (I get bored, and since I dont know hardly anyone in cork I go over there to try to meet people at the bars and at least have some conversation. :)

Deer wrote:
    If you guys feel like it pop into Meades Wine Bar after the movie - the book club is on there and we probably wont' be talking about books at that stage!!:)

I walked up and down olliver plunkett (once in each direction, and part of it twice) and couldnt find meades. Can you shed some light on where exactly it is?

I know the oven, post office, an brodhran, an brod (no ability to do fadas). I am certain its somewhere in between the oven and an brod, but I just cant find it. I even walked into the dodgy part of olliver plunkett, ya know where the sex shops are and its dimly light, and decided it couldnt be further down that end.

Either a cross street or some sort of landmark. A north/south side of the street might be helpful too. I cant guarantee that anyone else will go, but I will at least show up after if nothing else is going on :)

Thanks

-- edit
    I found that someone lists it as 26 oliver plunkett street, however my map software on my mobile doesnt list anything for 26, but I found someone 'next to the gpo' is 30, or so its claimed, so that tells me where to search. If you feel like providing more precise information that would be great, would make it easier, at least I know roughly where to look now :) Also, once I get inside where do you guys hang out normally? Is there some way I can find the book club?

trixter wrote:
    I walked up and down olliver plunkett (once in each direction, and part of it twice) and couldnt find meades. Can you shed some light on where exactly it is?

Don't look at me - I once walked past a pub three times and still couldn't find it. :o

For the sake of being easy to spot, I'll wear a bright green t-shirt with a small comic strip on the front of it.

Don't look at me - I once walked past a pub three times and still couldn't find it. :o

For the sake of being easy to spot, I'll wear a bright green t-shirt with a small comic strip on the front of it.

I figured people would find me, the hair being easy, but I got sick of it looking like a parrot ... That should make it easy though, and at least we know what came up in rotation today :)

As for meades I still dont know where it is (it probably had too large of a sign and that cause me to miss it) but after considerable google searches I found the rough area (or so I think). I also dont know where the book club will be inside meades (or even who is a member of the book club). Since I am new and all that I dont know anyone and if I end up being the only one that goes I wont know who to say hi to :/

I will be wearing a light tan t-shirt that reads 'I make stuff up' on it. That should be fairly easy to spot coupled with my previous description of myself. Hopefully Deer or someone can help me a bit with the remaining questions.

With all that said, I am glad all of this is finally happening, although it would have been more fun if 20 of us showed up randomly but on short notice that is generally hard to pull off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Trixter - Meades is right across the road from Milanos. I think it is 26 Oliver Plunkett Street. You'll spot us because there will be a book on the table and probably one guy and a load of girls if everyone turns up!!

Gotta go - enjoy crank!! And maybe we'll see you later!:)

Deer wrote:
    Trixter - Meades is right across the road from Milanos. I think it is 26 Oliver Plunkett Street. You'll spot us because there will be a book on the table and probably one guy and a load of girls if everyone turns up!!

Gotta go - enjoy crank!! And maybe we'll see you later!:)

Hoepfully if everything works out :) And 1 guy lots of girls, what is wrong with you other guys for not showing up :P

Meh - I've too many books to read to join a book club.

The movie was ok, turned out only blitzkrieger and myself showed up. Crank is an action movie, there was however some, in my opinion, really bad directing and editing that took away from the movie. I think they also dumbed it down for people in a few different places to try to make it easier for people to understand what was going on. They did this with fairly cheap techniques that almost made it seem like a kids show, however this movie is certainly not suitable for children.

After we went to the book club, and it was a bit awkward at first because we were the only ones that didnt read the book, or know anything about it, but soon after they finished their conversation on the book and it turned into a general conversation it was a lot more fun. I think the book club would have been more fun if we actually read the book. See the link above in this thread for a link to the book club thread.
    (Deer you are welcome for the plug :) )

There was a suggestion that this be made into a club or something where on a semi-regular basis a movie is selected, then people meet at some place that serves some type of refreshing beverage (however you define that) and discuss the movie. Is anyone interested in that?

There's a whole film festival on next month but surely we can come up with something before then. I'm going to be busy at work until the end of the month so I'm only going to be free at odd times. There's some interesting looking films out at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Now that I'm officially back in the city (Joy!) I'll probably be heading to the flicks a bit more regularly and I'd quite happily use it as an excuse to meet some more boardsies, so yeah, a club style thingy would be cool :)
    At the minute, I have plans to catch Children of Men if anyone's interested in joining me. I think its out next Thursday.

Now that I'm officially back in the city (Joy!) I'll probably be heading to the flicks a bit more regularly and I'd quite happily use it as an excuse to meet some more boardsies, so yeah, a club style thingy would be cool :)

Deer has some names of people that were at the book club last night and seemed interested in this as well. More of a go somewhere quiet for a pint after and talk about it type of thing, which I dont know if people are interested in doing, although the social gathering at some watering hole isnt a terrible idea :)

Well, I'm all up for discussing a film afterwards. Although if I thought it was a pile of crap ye'll have to listen to each and every reason as to why it was crap. Ye have been warned!

Sounds good. I'm working until 8 but i'll make it if I can. I can't find anything that confirms if there's previews for Children of Men on Thursday. How about The Black Dahlia as a backup? It's getting some bad reviews but it looks interesting.

Apparently Children of Men is out on the 22nd. Ditto with Clerks 2 (really wanna see that also). That doesn't guarantee that the Gate will have them then though. I'll quite happily watch The Black Dahlia anyway since its on my list fo things to see...

Advertisement