Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contrast

• 06-09-2006 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

As a visual comparison I thought I'd post up the two greatest equations in physics.

The first equation describes gravity:
    858bf0b9efec0a48671607fc4a39c774.png

The second equation describes all kinds of matter and the three other fundamental forces:
    Standard Model Lagrangian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Son Goku wrote:
    As a visual comparison I thought I'd post up the two greatest equations in physics.

The first equation describes gravity:
    858bf0b9efec0a48671607fc4a39c774.png

The second equation describes all kinds of matter and the three other fundamental forces:

And people wonder what the appeal of super string theory is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That's it, I'm dropping out ;)

Crucifix wrote:
    That's it, I'm dropping out ;)

Don't worry, you'll never have to do calculations with it unless you go into HEP theory, and even then it's likely you'd only use the full Hamiltonian for simulations.

D'Oh! Just noticed it was the Lagrangian and not the Hamiltonain that Son Goku posted. Well, the same applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen such a long equation. Its quite daunting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Son Goku wrote:

Hey, when I stare at that for a few mins I can see an apple falling from a tree! Do you?

• Advertisement

Hey, when I stare at that for a few mins I can see an apple falling from a tree! Do you?

So you're saying the standard model predicts gravity? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

needless to say I don't see Zanket here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Don't worry, you'll never have to do calculations with it unless you go into HEP theory, and even then it's likely you'd only use the full Hamiltonian for simulations.

D'Oh! Just noticed it was the Lagrangian and not the Hamiltonain that Son Goku posted. Well, the same applies.
    What I love is the contrast between how one is the result of pure thought, an achievement in reason. Where as the other is an achievement of pure phenomenology, i.e. "let's model this phenomenon".

Yes it is quite a contrast. It certainly motivates looking into supersymmetry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Where is the freakin = sign?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

It's implicit. Basically it's L = (the whole thing). Where L is the Lagrangian.

Advertisement