Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Sunny 1991

Options
  • 06-09-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

hi guys, i saw a nissan sunny 1991 1.4L on buyandsell, NCT 02/08

any idea about? is this a reliable car? how about the running cost?

anywhere i can find the detail about this car?

thanks mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hi guys, i saw a nissan sunny 1991 1.4L on buyandsell, NCT 02/08

any idea about? is this a reliable car? how about the running cost?

anywhere i can find the detail about this car?

thanks mil!

I had one of these many years ago. It was my first car. Great little car, the only problems I had with it were that it needed replacement front wheel bearings which cost £140. The heater also got stuck on cold air which was a little pain in the winter time. Didn't bother getting it fixed though. I bought it for £3,500 and sold it a year later for £2,850.

From http://www.honestjohn.co.uk:

What's Good:
    Better looking than previous model. Reliable, easy to drive, reasonable build and decent equipment levels. 143 bhp 2.0e GTi is quick

What's Bad:
    Nondescript 'Golf clone' styling, with excessive rear overhang for a car of this type. Apart from GTi, uninvolving to drive. 'K' reg 'carb and cat' combination is troublesome.

What to Watch Out For:
    Carry out reverse turn test for driveshaft clonks. Look for oil leaks. Check for uneven front tyre wear signifying suspension misalignment or damage from kerbing by elderly owners. Never pay extra for ultra-low mileage. Look for front end damage on GTi from falling off the road. Best cars will have a full service history with oil changes every six months and coolant and brake fluid changes every two years, but most will have been serviced once a year if the owner remembered. Vital to see a recent MOT emissions check on K reg 'carb and cat' cars as they are very difficult to get through this test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 LuciferGary

thanks BAZZ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Make sure which Sunny it is (are there pictures of it on the B&S?) - the old crappy boxy model (introduced in like '86 or '87) was still sold up until 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I have a 94 sunny which is a direct injection model. The 91 model will have a carburettor.

I only have mine for over a month now and am finding it grand as a first car. This car really doesn't inspire confidence in me though when driving. The steering is very light and abit unresponsive. It bounces around quite abit on the road at times. Im getting between 40-45MPG from it which is good.
    They also have a chain for engine timing rather than a belt so that may save you some money.

Other than that, no complaints really.

Make sure which Sunny it is (are there pictures of it on the B&S?) - the old crappy boxy model (introduced in like '86 or '87) was still sold up until 1991.

no pic.
    i heard that the boxy model sold up till 1991,thanks for reminding me. i will ask about it!

i will leave it if it's boxy one.;)

• Advertisement

junii wrote:
    I have a 94 sunny which is a direct injection model. The 91 model will have a carburettor.

I only have mine for over a month now and am finding it grand as a first car. This car really doesn't inspire confidence in me though when driving. The steering is very light and abit unresponsive. It bounces around quite abit on the road at times. Im getting between 40-45MPG from it which is good.
    They also have a chain for engine timing rather than a belt so that may save you some money.

Other than that, no complaints really.

thanks ! is that good for motoway?

Have driven it on dual-carraigeways and its grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Just wondering about the NCT, how does a odd year car have a even year nct? Possible a 07 NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Could have been imported from the UK? You'd have to NCT it as soon as its imported if its over 4 years old at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

thanks ! is that good for motoway?

It is fine on the motorway, I did a steady 85 all the way up the m7 with 5 people in the car, no bother to it. My sister now drives the car, the only mechanical thing it has needed is a new water pump, I also put 4 new tyres on it, and a new passenger door due it being broken into.

They are a great car, but you should ensure that you get a 1.4lx ( or at least make sure the engine is fuel injected, twin cam, 16 valve ). This is a great engine, its more economical than the 1.4 carb and also more powerful. Revs to 7200 rpm if you want it to, nearly 60 in second gear :)

With so many of them about, it makes no sense to take the lesser of the 2 engines.
    A quick search on buyandsell turns up a page full of them, go for a 92 - 95 car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Stephen wrote:
    Could have been imported from the UK? You'd have to NCT it as soon as its imported if its over 4 years old at that time.
    Could be a Japanese import too, which would mean it's really a Nissan Pulsar (and they just said "Sunny" in the B&S to avoid confusion/having to explain), or possibly even a Japanese Sunny (looks different but prob. mechanically similar) - though they both were only available with 1.3 and 1.5 litre engines...

Gerry wrote:
    I did a steady 85 all the way up the m7 with 5 people in the car, no bother to it.

Mine shakes alot around 80-90. Maybe the extra ppl stopped it from shaking so much in yours. :D

The extra people helped the car feel a bit more planted ( though not terribly safe, it felt like a missile ), but its a pretty smooth car, no vibrations through the wheel. If yours shakes its likely to be wheel balance, get the front wheels balanced.

thanks guys, i will see the car in 2 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The_Magoo wrote:
    Just wondering about the NCT, how does a odd year car have a even year nct? Possible a 07 NCT?
    I has a 91 micra and its NCT is out in 07/08. Spent all its life in Ireland too.

Gerry wrote:
    The extra people helped the car feel a bit more planted ( though not terribly safe, it felt like a missile ), but its a pretty smooth car, no vibrations through the wheel. If yours shakes its likely to be wheel balance, get the front wheels balanced.

Oh right, Ill check that out.

Just out of interest whats the clutch like in your sisters. The biting point on mine does not seem to be that defined. It can be a little jumpy unless im very careful.

Yep, the clutch isn't great on it either. Take up is very late and not very progressive. You should be able to get used to it though. Check if the clutch has ever been replaced . On my sisters car, the pedal also vibrates at certain rpm, even though I've adjusted the cable according to the haynes manual.

Advertisement