Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Bmw 318i

Options
  • 06-09-2006 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I think of buying a 92 model for about 2k. This seems to be a good price looking at the buy and sell. About 100k miles and 15" wheels. Agree/Disagree?

Are the very heavy on fuel? Google reckons about 25mpg.

They are rear wheel drive correct? Is there a major difference in driving a rwd?

Anything else I should know or look out for?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

25????? I'm getting 32 from an Audi 1.8, maybe its the way BMW owners drive ;)

Yes they are RWD which is the purists preference though can catch newbies out esp in the wet on the twisty bits.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

mike65 wrote:
    25????? I'm getting 32 from an Audi 1.8, maybe its the way BMW owners drive ;)
    Lol probally, if i get it im going to turn into a prick and never indicate again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

a 200sx gets 29mpg so 25 - 30 mpg would probably sound about right for the bmw as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nutterireland

I think of buying a 92 model for about 2k. This seems to be a good price looking at the buy and sell. About 100k miles and 15" wheels. Agree/Disagree?

Are the very heavy on fuel? Google reckons about 25mpg.

They are rear wheel drive correct? Is there a major difference in driving a rwd?

Anything else I should know or look out for?

Thanks

hi there not bad on fuel the 318i 30 +mpg depends on how you drive them also have a 200sx lying up wicked car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I am getting between 40 and 43MPG on my 1997 E36 316 4 speed Automatic. 4 door saloon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

That sounds highly, highly unlikely unless you live and work at opposite ends of a deserted motorway.
    My 318 auto gives me ~25mpg normally and might just go the happy side of 30mpg on a trip to Galway or something.

Is that 43mpg figure from your own calculations or from the trip computer?
    How many miles does a full tank get you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I am averaging between 400 and 450 to €50 of Petrol at €.98 in Tesco Killarney, I done calculations on the Trip to Dublin (all-Ireland) and it seems to be getting that anyway. Either or I am very happy with the fuel consumption of my car, I always have a target of anything over 20MPG will do me, my BMW has well surpassed this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

That's impressive! It's 35 - 39mpg by my calculations but it's still ~10mpg more than I'm getting from an E46. I know it's a heavier car but I'd never have thunk there would be that big a difference.

Advertisement