Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New driver - Upsizing

Options
  • 06-09-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I've just been browsing and found this.
    My car is registered mine but in practice my mothers as we share 50/50.

This is mine
    PICT0007.JPG

My dad is downsizing to a Yaris and 2 small cars is a bit much for my liking.

Is it worth it for me to drop the 5 years top have a more solid cars to use for longer journeys

(*=edit)

*Forgot the whole point. I've only had my licence since september and mam only has hers 18 months but has 20 years driving (don' ask), will the insurance skyrocket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ninty9er wrote:
    Forgot the whole point. I've only had my licence since september and mam only has hers 18 months but has 20 years driving (don' ask), will the insurance skyrocket

No, I'd say it will be the same or maybe even cheaper. 1.6 carina will be dog slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mloc123 wrote:
    No, I'd say it will be the same or maybe even cheaper. 1.6 carina will be dog slow.

Compared to the corsa it'd be like a cheetah racing a snail

You'd be suprised. But the insurance should be no different, what company are you with?

Only Hibernian would take us

Ah okay, not sure then. I know with Quinn when I went from a 1.2 clio to a 1.6 Megane it was a couple of euro cheaper so you might be lucky.

• Advertisement

you never know, i'll price it anyway. The policy will be switching to my name next march I'll be 20 but it'll be my 1st insurance.

My main reason is I still owe 3k on the corsa and want to get it down to about a grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My brother has a Carina GLi 1.6. Effecient car, well specced, cheap to insure but a bit dull. You don't say what engine your Corsa has, but if it's the 1.0 or 1.2 the Carina will be noticeably more pokey.

My wife had a '99 Corsa 1.0. Slowest car I ever drove (0-60 in 19.9 sec IIRC), and on top of that it handled like soap. After that model ended GM admitted they made a huge boo-boo with the chassis. It was even voted worst handling car of all time in one magazine readers' poll.

Go for the Carina. My brother's has 155,000 miles on it now and apart from a rusty brake line and an burst CV boot he has had no problems with it whatsoever.

P1ss easy car to service/maintain too (I do that for him).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Taxi driver's favourite - my uncle is one and has had at least 2 of em. I take it they're reliable, but of you'd want to check that mileage is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That one is a bit pricy imo. Shop around there are other Carinas out there not too far away from you:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=398770
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=466769

The 1996 facelifted model has twin airbags and electric windows as standard.

bazz26 wrote:
    That one is a bit pricy imo. Shop around there are other Carinas out there not too far away from you:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=398770
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=466769

The 1996 facelifted model has twin airbags and electric windows as standard.

It's a bit higher spec than the SLi, I was fairly sure the GLi didn't come in 1.6 though. I'd have to get a CD player anyway and the engines go till about 350,000 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ninty9er wrote:
    It's a bit higher spec than the SLi, I was fairly sure the GLi didn't come in 1.6 though. I'd have to get a CD player anyway and the engines go till about 350,000 anyway.

Not really much difference in specification between a pre 1996 GLi and a 1996 facelifted SLi. The GLi had extras like rear electric windows, rear centre arm rest and velour seats, thats about it really.

Just watch the gearbox as Toyota had a few problems with them back then in the Carina E. Some were known to pack in at around 100k miles.

Might leave it til march when the insurance is due...my uncle has a 98 passat 1.6 auto on the lot at €3.5k, but it's got a few tiny rust spots and a good few scrapes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ninty9er wrote:
    Might leave it til march when the insurance is due...my uncle has a 98 passat 1.6 auto on the lot at €3.5k, but it's got a few tiny rust spots and a good few scrapes

What you can't see on the Passat is that it doesn't have the legendry reliability of the Carina E. The Passat is not remotely close to the Carina.

JHMEG wrote:
    What you can't see on the Passat is that it doesn't have the legendry reliability of the Carina E. The Passat is not remotely close to the Carina.

This is true, but it was the mark III(a) 97-00 which has had less reliability trouble than the 01-05 model

Advertisement