Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student ID?

Options
  • 06-09-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong section, but was wondering about howto apply for my student ID now that I am starting college so I can avail of student reduction pricing on travel fares.

College have issued me with a card to prove I am a student there, but afaik you need a proper one issued under the government. Can I bring this card, and a letter from my college that states I am a full time student into some office somewhere and get a proper card? I think it's something like that anyway. I will be in Dublin on Friday, so would be looking for said office
    (if such exists) for then.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ha?

The card the college issues will suffice for student fares on Bues Eireann.

For the train you need the CIE student card. SU in college should have application forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Is there such a thing as just a student id though? or is a "valid student id card" the one the college issues you? prtty sure the cie travel card isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hey, just to clarify for you....

1) Your college issues you a student photo ID which has your student number on it and as mentioned, this ID is sufficient to avail of Bus Eireann discounted fares.

2) If you wish to buy student tickets for DublinBus/Irish Rail/Luas then you'll need to buy a Student Travelcard (12Euro per year). This is done by filling out the application form HERE.

It'll then need to be stamped/signed by the college, and sent off with 2 photos.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Governemnt student card? I have never heard of such a thing before.

Maybe you mean an isic card?

www.isic.org or the cie travel cards as mentioned before.

Advertisement