Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 - Build5600

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have had several versions of this fail to work, only one that did was 1st one so im using msft download manaager and maybe just maybe my nforce sata array will be installable :eek:

But i doubt it :

kdjac
    (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

downloading now .. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

will try this when i get my new rig :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

running it since last night and so far I'm loving it (as ronald would say). Had to burn a few DVD's before the install would go OK (in the end it was 8X and track at once).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I installed this about an hour ago. Went perfect first time. Have not had one single problem. Drivers for Vista 64bit seem to be more abundant nowadays thank god.

Im liking it, I have no problems with it at all, but Im not seeing benefits over XP pro tbh. Im sure theyre there, but theyre not making me 'more productive' etc. lol.

I prob wont keep it, but I defo like it. Im not going back to XP though. Linux SUSE 10 will do it for me:D (and its free!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My xp pro media center ed. just went tits up this week, so I need to do a fresh install. Anyone know if the the media center is on this ISO release?

Wouldn't mind giving it a test if it was, otherwise I'll just do a fresh XP install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

So, have they fixed much of what was utterly broken in Beta 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Answering my own question above now: Yes :)

I installed it this evening and was pleasantly surprised. It seems far, far better than Beta 2. Seems much faster, and works properly with my 6800GT, which it wouldn't before. The only hardware I have which it didn't pick up straight from installation was my Audigy 2 zs and the onboard sound chipset that I don't use anyway. Creative have vista drivers which work fine with it.
    I installed the latest nvidia graphics drivers and enabled all the bells and whistles. It seems good, I could actually live with it.

The only game I've tried playing is Team Fortress Classic via Steam. It worked fine. This game uses OpenGL and had no problems. I remember hearing rumblings about MS stripping support for OpenGL out of Vista, guess they didn't. All my usual apps are installed now and everything is working fine.

Fair play to them, they cleaned it up a lot since beta 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i have to say it improves a lot, runs faster and the features are impressive especially the gadget and windows switcher. this is from a PC user point of view. this is my 2 years old pc running Vista RC1 :
    • Intel P4 Prescott 3.2Ghz 800Mhz FSB Socket 478
    • MSI 865PE Neo2-PFISR wt onboard sound
    • Corsair PC3200 2 x 512 and 2 x 256 (1.5GB in total)
    • SATA 160GB Samsung SP1614C 8MB (18GB use on Vista partition)
    • 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
    • Plextor DVD recorder PX-712A

The system rating has changed slightly, it will rate you to the lowest of rated part of your system. In my case, it is 4.2 which comes from the CPU :
    • Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz - 4.2
    • Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB - 4.5
    • Graphics RADEON 9800 PRO - 5.7
    • Gaming graphics 191 MB Total available graphics memory - 4.5
    • Primary hard disk 6GB Free (17GB Total) - 5.2

It doesn't hog the CPU power much on light stuff like reading mails, browsing and viewing medias. Memory usage however still quite high about 35% with no user application running apart from PC-Cilin antivirus and MSN Messenger. I am liking it. Plus, the new Windows Mail, Calendar and Contact spice a little bit the experience. And above of all, it took me less than 1 hour to do clean install replacing the Beta2.

Marty

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm getting 4.0 because of my CPU - Athlon 64 3200+. Was getting 3.2 on beta 2.

I downloaded the Vista RC1 ISO yesterday and gave it a try. I still don't like it. I certainly won't be adopting it, will probably stick with XP until I have to change, and by then it'll either be Apple or Linux.

RC1 is a lot quicker than the beta releases and there are a few good features - Windows finally has its own MPEG-2 codecs. I also like that you can install it without a product key and evaluate for 14 days - gives a good trial period to see if you like it enough to buy a licence.

But I don't think there's any consistency to the interface, it seems to be a case of "throw buttons anywhere" and do away with menus (I know they can be enabled). Speaking from an ex-technician's POV, I can also see BitLocker being a technician's nightmare - if Windows or the motherboard goes kaput the data is potentially screwed.

Got 2.7 on my laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000 - Pentium M 2.0GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 128MB ATI X300. It was the HD that let me down with the system rating, always felt I needed a faster one.

Oh, and the first time I tried to download it was with ReGet and it failed, the ISO was corrupt. Tried a second time with the MS download manager and it was fine. Felt guilty downloading 5 gigs in one day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Got my hands on it at last (first three times didnt work...)

Very happy with it and it's so much faster than before. (got one blus screen of deth but I'm thinking of formatting as I didnt last time)

Using less ram is a good thing too for those with only 1Gig.

Done a clean install of it last night as I was going to restore my PC, first thing I noticed was that the install time has been greatly improved. The system overall looks good and is user friendly for both advance and beginner PC users, it also runs a lot quicker than previous Beta's.
    Personally I think it's a bit too graphical and overly informative, I would of kept it installed on my PC but my broadband modem would not work with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Big improvement in speed and compatability than previous even though beta 2 wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I really like it but I'll have to move back to XP for the time being. A lot of my apps just arent compatible at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

What apps are you having problems with?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Installed the RC1 today (Was running build 5536)

No problems at all with it. Impressed by the fact it installed the latest ATi drivers without the need for a reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

could the mods sticky this plz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Downloaded it today from "my second job" @ 1.7 Mb/s. Sweeeeetttttt.

Was going to install it pretty much straight away, then I read this, and now I'm rethinking whether I need the hassle or not, and whether I should just wait for RC2 or 3.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34268

• Advertisement

The inquirer is a complete rag
    the inq wrote:
    "The partially-transparent windows look nice, but I'd prefer opaque boarders if it meant the performance of XP. The 3D presentation of windows when flipping between programs isn't particularly useful and isn't even the alt-tab default - a thumbnail preview of the window appears, much like the Windows XP powertoy add-on.

Where's the run command gone in the start menu? This is highly annoying, and you often find yourself trying to quickly run a command window but having to resort to the search function.

he start menu no longer expands into an observable tree like it has for the last 11 years, instead each level of the tree appears in the main start menu pop up"

Pile of ****

If he wants non aero, then he can turn it off. If he wants opaque windows in aero he can have it (Personalisation menu)

The run command can be switched on in the start menu properties. And any power user uses winkey-R anyhow. The run menu was removed (By default) becasue common plebs dont use it.

The start menu can be changed back to the old way if he wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Peteee wrote:
    The inquirer is a complete rag

Pile of ****

If he wants non aero, then he can turn it off. If he wants opaque windows in aero he can have it (Personalisation menu)

The run command can be switched on in the start menu properties. And any power user uses winkey-R anyhow. The run menu was removed (By default) becasue common plebs dont use it.

The start menu can be changed back to the old way if he wants it.
    All true.
    @ Stky10, I haven't seen MS mention any more release candidates being released under the CPP. They have only mentioned Beta2 and RC1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just installed it over lunchtime. Dual booting with xp pro. Haven't had a good goo at it yet. The laptop got a perfomance of 3.5. Anyone know how to switch the keys over on a laptop? The fn key is set to always on. Never had to turn it on or off before.

/edit found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

kaizersoze wrote:
    @ Stky10, I haven't seen MS mention any more release candidates being released under the CPP. They have only mentioned Beta2 and RC1.

Thats true, it was just based on reviews of RC1 that said that it wasn't as good as it should be at this stage in development, and that as a result there would have to be an RC2 and possibly RC3. Microsoft may or may not agree, and even if there is an RC2 it may not be widely distributed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

got my new pc working last night and decided to give this a go.
    Its downloading as we speak.

Are there any problems with installing to raid(raid 0 to be precise) drives?
    Read that somewhere but was a while ago and may be wrong.

I dunno if i'd use it as my main OS (am very happy with windows xp 64) but thought i'd see what he hype was about and have a sneak peak before i possibky buy it in january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Anyone got a CD cover image for Vista RC1

I upgraded mine over XP with no problems. Running very nicely on my laptop. Could do with an extra 512MB RAM I'd say. (Just have 512 now)

Aero effects are very nice. How can I make the 3D window switchy thing appears when I press alt-tab?

The Run thing being missing really annoyed me at first, but it's easy to turn it on.

Anyone know if it comes with it's own MPEG4 codec? So that it can Windows Media Player can play XviD out of the box?

Very stable too. I'm not upgrading my desktop because my Geforce4 Ti4200 doesn't support Aero.

plazzTT wrote:
    How can I make the 3D window switchy thing appears when I press alt-tab?

WinKey + tab

Peteee wrote:
    WinKey + tab
    Sweet! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

there's a new release of RC1 with a build no 5728.

here is the link - http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download-5728.htm

Good luck!

mart

Advertisement