Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 - Build5600

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Peteee wrote:
    Yeah I've noticed this. Try plugging in a USB flash drive into a USB port (Funnily enough!) and enabling ready boost.

This will make Vista use the flash drive as a 'half way house' between the RAM and the HD.

Once I find a flash drive that works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I found out what the problem was with installing RC1 on my laptop.. I didnt realise that it requires 512mb ram. I only have 256mb!!

I want to see what it is like, but I cant decide if I should install it on my desktop (which meets system requirements!). Anyone any advice? I only have one hard drive so I would have to update my XP installation to keep files easy to get at!!

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mathew wrote:
    I found out what the problem was with installing RC1 on my laptop.. I didnt realise that it requires 512mb ram. I only have 256mb!!

I want to see what it is like, but I cant decide if I should install it on my desktop (which meets system requirements!). Anyone any advice? I only have one hard drive so I would have to update my XP installation to keep files easy to get at!!

Thanks
    Don't forget it DIES when the beta period is over. <--- FULL STOP

So you'd be looking at a reinstall of your old OS to get your files , Even if you bought the retail version you are not guaranteed it will work and may have to do a clean install anyway.

If you can't afford the RAM upgrad to 512KB, how are you going to afford to buy a copy of Vista when it comes out ??? :confused:

do you have much space on your driver, investigate putting it in a separate folder to get a dual boot system. Since you value your files I'll assume you have a backup so you could look at resizing a partition to free space for a new partion for vista as another option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Don't forget it DIES when the beta period is over. <--- FULL STOP

So you'd be looking at a reinstall of your old OS to get your files , Even if you bought the retail version you are not guaranteed it will work and may have to do a clean install anyway.

If you can't afford the RAM upgrad to 512KB, how are you going to afford to buy a copy of Vista when it comes out ??? :confused:

do you have much space on your driver, investigate putting it in a separate folder to get a dual boot system. Since you value your files I'll assume you have a backup so you could look at resizing a partition to free space for a new partion for vista as another option

Thanks

I have some backups.. however my knowledge of partitioning and dual booting is very limited. Its not that I "value" my files its just the hassle of reinstalling.. does partitioning involve formating? How do i go about seting up for dual boot?

I would upgrade my RAM but the laptop doesnt facilitate upgrades.. its a dell inspiron 1000... very basic stuff..

I was thinking of getting a second hard drive for the desktop and putting Vista on that, and using dual booting, then when it expires i just have extra space... but im not too sure bout the idea.. how long more is the Beta due to last?

Thanks agian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The beta/RC kills itself in June or July of 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Stephen wrote:
    The beta/RC kills itself in June or July of 2007.
    Aye, 1st of June 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

Has anyone in dublin setup the Media Center part of Vista.
    It asks me for signal type (Cable), County (Dublin), Provider (NTL Analogue)
    It comes up correctly with the EPG guide but the signals aren't tuned correctly.
    There is a flicking/shifting picture with sporadic sound.
    Is there a way of getting it to manually search for signals ?
    In XP I ended up editing the registry entries to get them right

thanks
    Ronan

Dual Boot : XP & Vista
    Build 5600
    Tuner : ATI Theather Tuner 550
    1GB Ram
    3Ghz CPU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

RC2 (build 5744) is out now. It's not publicly available yet, only to "technical beta testers".

They say the public download will be posted "shortly":
    http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/archive/2006/10/06/Windows-Vista-RC2-is-now-available-to-technical-beta-testers_2100_.aspx

I'd say the full final RTM will leak by the end of November anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

will give this a whirl on my laptop when it's publicly released seeing as i formatted just there so if it arses up i don't lose a lot of files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Very happy with 5600, may hang on for a little loager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

Yeah i noticed the churning tongiht as well.
    Was a good 5 mins. I opened up the resource manager and it was eating up 2gb ram and doing close to 12gb a min to my hard drive (svchost/explorer was the culperate). Once it ended memory usage dropped back to just under 500mb.
    I wonder what it was doing.

This is the first time its happened and it happened just after my explorer stopped respnonding. They may or may not be linked, i dunno.

Stephen wrote:
    Good man. I presume the same product key (as was given with Beta 2 & RC1) is still good for this?

Should be, yeah.

Anyone have it yet?

How's it going so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I downloaded Vista RC2 yesterday. A good three hours. A fine test for my new broadband connection ... Have a product key for RC1.

Anyway, passed integrity check and I burned it to DVD at 4x using Nero [K3B in Linux failed twice].

When I run setup.exe from the DVD's root directory, I get a full-screen, green-coloured background and a message telling me to wait. And waited I have ... for too long. Nothing happens.

I've also tried to boot the DVD. It works. Just one problem, I'm hounded for drivers. It seems my Sony DRU800A DVD recorder isn't being recognised by Vista. Apparently, I can select a driver. I don't see myself running RC2 any time soon at this rate.

god's toy wrote:
    Anyone have it yet?

How's it going so far?
    Installed it today and it went fine. Upgraded the existing RC1 install & took 27 minutes.
    I hadn't much time to play yet but their seems to be less admin pop-ups.
    The beta2 & RC1 product key works aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Interesting thread.
    Havent downloaded or installed any version of it thus far and might leave it for a while yet till I check it out.
    From what I can see from the posts many of the "Complaints" comments are similiar to that which were around before XP and XP SP2. Too many prompts, security warnings, driver loading etc, all were worries before XP.
    As mentioned all of these things can be modifed/customised by the more advanced user. Of course there will be a large amount of user who will have minor issues but no less than the issues that were there prior to XP.
    I imagine if its this irriating at retail out of the box, many MIS dept. with have their hands full with helpdesk calls too.
    Interesting comment.
    Does anyone know or has anyone seen the interaction between Vista and Active Directory? Have any new ADM policies become available for review etc? I wonder does AD have more power over the OS than it had in XP? Anyone know anything about this?
    What I am trying to alude to is many corporate organisations will most likely turn off many of the "annoying" features through GPO's etc and this may not be as big an issue to helpdesks. I think the key, as with any OS deployment is good planning before hand to make use of the most relevant features and switch off the non-relevant ones.
    The corporate market spends a lot on MS products so I am sure MS will be working closely before release with these bodies.
    I'll follow this thread with interest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/06/microsoft_windows_vista_rc2/
    Microsoft today made available a new test build for Windows Vista, the mythical desktop operating system of legend. It's called RC2, or Release Candidate 2 (build number 5744), and it really is only for diehard Vista testaholics. And the stupid.

The download page comes with a warning in bold type:

Please note: This build may not have the same level of support or servicing via Windows Update as RC1, and you may not be able to upgrade from this build to the final version of Windows Vista.

Still interested? Then click this way. http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm

Microsoft had previously said that RC1 (build 5600) would be its last pre-release build to be made public. Opened for download business early last month, RC1 was expected to attract six million testers.

Windows Vista is supposed to launch in January 2007, but seeing is believing. With Vista, Microsoft has bust more deadlines than a deadbeat journalist

The European Corporate market seems to be very uninterested in VISTA until the first service pack. Don't forget that the OEM license on VISTA will almost certainly allow XP installs (or you will get the choice on first boot) so sales of VISTA won't reflect what corporate users will actually use on the first batch of machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Anyone notice readyboost making any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can this be installed as part of a triple boot system?

windows xp pro x64
    ubuntu 6.10
    windows vista

won't bother trying if it can't.

will a product key from a 32bit beta i got work with x64?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i got a core duo x6800 so can I use the 64bit version of vista??

core2duo is 64bit yes, so yes u can.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    core2duo is 64bit yes, so yes u can.

thanks, thats what i wanted to know, very little info about the x6800 to be found, well to be honest i just googled x6800 64bit, and didn't get any spec sheets so gave up

anyone use the 64bit version, is it any better, and whats the compatability like

mukki wrote:
    thanks, thats what i wanted to know, very little info about the x6800 to be found, well to be honest i just googled x6800 64bit, and didn't get any spec sheets so gave up

anyone use the 64bit version, is it any better, and whats the compatability like
    I haven't tried the 64bit version but have read that there is alot of problems finding 64bit drivers for some hardware to work with Vista.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Installed it today and it went fine. Upgraded the existing RC1 install & took 27 minutes.
    I hadn't much time to play yet but their seems to be less admin pop-ups.
    The beta2 & RC1 product key works aswell.
    Thanks for your reply, happy to see it's going ok for you and is bugging you (us all) a little less.

Now can anyone tell me where has Vista RC2 download links (working ones) gone too? it's not on the Microsoft site anymore, just a link to RC1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As I understand it, RC2 was on a much more limited release than RC1 was. It may already have been pulled.

I had been made aware of issues earlier with people being unable to connect, but assumed that it was a cookie baed problem, as clearing my own cookies and cache left me unable to enter the link above.

kaizersoze wrote:
    I haven't tried the 64bit version but have read that there is alot of problems finding 64bit drivers for some hardware to work with Vista.

read that with download at 80% do'h

I'm using the 64bit version and while i got everything pretty much working i do have to disable digital driver enforcement thingy everytime i start up.
    Also had to mix and match drivers as the exact ones i needed in many cases werent available (tho that would prob apply to 32bit vista too).

I'd say that 32bit is less of a headache.

• Advertisement

well i downloaded the entire 64bit version last night, got up today saying it was complete but their was an "mismatch" so it deleted the iso for me??

downloading again from a torrent site, much more reliable

gonna stick with the 64bit, because rumor is that its faster once its working

Advertisement