Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 - Build5600

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭BKtje

its faster when its using 64bit apps (such as archiving software, video encoding, 64bit web browsers etc) and/or you got over 4gb(?) of ram.

For games, word etc etc it wont make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just installed the RC2 beta there, and have been playing around with it for the past half hour or so.

i have to say i'm impressed. it's really responsive, the aero theme looks pretty sweet and the general feel of it is nice.

although i won't use this as a main o/s until it comes out but i've got a feeling i may make the jump to vista quicker than i had intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cremo wrote:
    just installed the RC2 beta there, and have been playing around with it for the past half hour or so.

i have to say i'm impressed. it's really responsive, the aero theme looks pretty sweet and the general feel of it is nice.

although i won't use this as a main o/s until it comes out but i've got a feeling i may make the jump to vista quicker than i had intended.

Am thinking the same myself man. Very impressed.

Has much changed from RC1?
    RC1 is pretty stable here and would prefer not to change unless theres a good reason too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I did an upgrade install from RC1 to RC2, and it took ages. A clean install is way faster. I installed it on my laptop and it picked up all of my hardware OK. I just had to install drivers for my graphics card and I was away. (Thanks nVidia for making this bloody awkward for mobile graphics cards, you gimps.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I removed a kernel extension which allows me to read and write to ext3 partitions. I now got further with the Vista installation -- I was overjoyed just to get an error message. I'm being told I don't have enough storage space for the temporary files [untrue] when I run setup.exe from the root directory of the DVD. I think the install program was extracting files to my ext3 partition.

I've tried rebooting and booting in safe mode. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Any ideas? I'm dying to try Vista out, or so I say now.

I've read there's still one major security flaw in the OS [that we're aware of at this time]. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Run Disk Clean up. Even if you don't have space problems, it might fix the issue as it'll update how much space you have and might fix it where the problem occurred.

Trying just to reboot wouldn't hurt either.

Did you try to Google the problem?

Personally I couldn't be bothered with Vista. I expect it to be a disaster of an OS from the previews and user reviews so far. I'm half thinking of migrating to Ubuntu instead.

brim4brim wrote:
    Run Disk Clean up. Even if you don't have space problems, it might fix the issue as it'll update how much space you have and might fix it where the problem occurred.

Trying just to reboot wouldn't hurt either.

Did you try to Google the problem?

Personally I couldn't be bothered with Vista. I expect it to be a disaster of an OS from the previews and user reviews so far. I'm half thinking of migrating to Ubuntu instead.

I defragmented. That didn't work.

I read lots of posts in Microsoft's support forum for Vista. It seems around "one million" people are having problems with drivers for their DVD drives [if there even are that many testers].

Here's what enabled me to install Vista RC2. Hope it'll be of use to someone:
    1. installed Windows Server 2003 over XP. I downloaded a six-month trial of Server 2003. Knew it would come in handy
    2. when installation of Server 2003 finished, I just inserted the Vista DVD and did a clean install. There were no problems with storage space or drivers.
    Just can't figure out how to enable the Aero eye-candy. I have a decent PCI-E graphics card [NVIDIA 6200].

I'm very impressed that all my favourite programs work on Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Alt+Tab to use the 3D windows thingy. Areo is enabled by default if your card supports it.

Close on 5 million RC1 downloads btw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote:
    Here's what enabled me to install Vista RC2. Hope it'll be of use to someone:.
    stupid question, can you just copy the files from the DVD to the HDD and run the install from there ?
    Hopefully it also means not having to look for the disk later.

• Advertisement

i installed it using daemon tools without a problem.

stupid question, can you just copy the files from the DVD to the HDD and run the install from there ?
    Hopefully it also means not having to look for the disk later.

That's exactly what I tried when I was still running XP. It didn't work for me -- I was still getting error messages about not having enough memory, etc. But I'd imagine it'll work for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I'm in need of a reinstall of XP, but I think I might give vista a try. I'd perfer to do the 'upgrade' - can anyone tell me if this works ok am I asking for trouble? Is it that much better to do a clean install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Zascar wrote:
    Guys I'm in need of a reinstall of XP, but I think I might give vista a try. I'd perfer to do the 'upgrade' - can anyone tell me if this works ok am I asking for trouble? Is it that much better to do a clean install?
    the upgrade on RC2 beta iso was greyed out and i couldn't select it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Zascar, if you need a reinstall of XP, then I assume something is wrong with the current installation? If that's the case, upgrading the OS will probably just bring the problem with it. I'd just do a clean install.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

yes you are probably right, i think I'll just take the time to backup all settings etc and do it properly.

BTW, I downloaded RC1 - I found no mention of RC2 availible for download. Am I mising this somewhere? I've just spent ages downlaoding RC1, it it worth waiting and downling RC2 or will i just go with what I've got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Zascar wrote:
    yes you are probably right, i think I'll just take the time to backup all settings etc and do it properly.

BTW, I downloaded RC1 - I found no mention of RC2 availible for download. Am I mising this somewhere? I've just spent ages downlaoding RC1, it it worth waiting and downling RC2 or will i just go with what I've got?
    They had it available (although not to the public) for a few days last week but pulled it for some reason. Go ahead with RC1 and if RC2 becomes available again you can do the upgrade. I presume you have a valid product key?

Yes they sent me a key to my hotmail address.

One question: In my pc I have 2 hard drives. The first hard drives is partitioned into two: C is for system files, and D is for data/personal files. The other hard drive is for older files. When installing can I just delete the C partition and install over that, or will there be any possible problems. I don't want to end up loosing hundred of gigs of imporant data because I do something stupid...
    Cheers

OK I've installed successfully, all going well so far. Looks pretty slick I'm liking it. Will take a little getting used to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

I'm still finding it a bit difficult to get used to the UI changes they made to Vista. I mean the way folders look. How easy-to-find things have been buried into weird places etc. It will take some getting used to.

• Advertisement

I'm still finding it a bit difficult to get used to the UI changes they made to Vista. I mean the way folders look. How easy-to-find things have been buried into weird places etc. It will take some getting used to.
    I'm annoyed that, with the introduction of tabs in IE7, Windows Explorer still lacks tabs. Come on -- how many years has this been in Konqueror under KDE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

ethernet wrote:
    I'm annoyed that, with the introduction of tabs in IE7, Windows Explorer still lacks tabs. Come on -- how many years has this been in Konqueror under KDE?
    I was hoping that would be in with IE7. I do love tabbed browsing with Konqueror.

Advertisement