Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble setting up a POP3 account within Outlook Express

Options
  • 06-09-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can any of you help me out here please, I'm pretty sure that I'm doing something stupid but I can't figure it out.

I am attempting to set up an e-mail account in Outlook Express, I'm trying to connect to my NTL POP3 account but I cannot get it working.

I go into tools and then accounts on Outlook express and then hit the Add button, I give it my display name and on the next screen I specify that my incoming mail server is a POP3 server.

I enter pop.ntlworld.ie as the Incoming mail server, I enter smtp.ntlworld.ie as the ougoing mail server. I then give my account name as christian.surname and enter the password, any boxes that are not clicked by default by the setup Wizard I leave alone.

So that's it, it should work but whenever I try to receive or send messages all I ever get are the following error messages

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.ie', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.ie', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
    A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.ie', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.ie', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

To be honest this is starting to drive me mental, what am I doing wrong? Should I be entering some pre-fix on the server names or wha? I've been through the help on NTL and on Outlook Express and I can't find a solution.

I have a hotmail account setp correctly as a HTTP account and it's working perfectly everytime from within Outlook Express.

Any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

aoa321 wrote:

So that's it, it should work but whenever I try to receive or send messages all I ever get are the following error messages

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.ie', Server: 'pop.ntlworld.ie', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19
    A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'pop.ntlworld.ie', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.ie', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

To be honest this is starting to drive me mental, what am I doing wrong? Should I be entering some pre-fix on the server names or wha?
    The problem is caused by your anti-virus software (Norton?).

A quick google for 0x800CCC19 turns up a Microsoft KB article which points to a link on the Symantec website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Foxwood,

Thanks a million for the information, I'll give it another try when I get home tonight. It won't be the fist time Norton AntiVirus has caused me trouble - it's more hassle than it's worth.

aoa

Advertisement