Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moviestar.ie? is this another screenclick company?

Options
  • 06-09-2006 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I just seen an online ad for moviestar.ie and just wondered are they anyhing to do with screenclick. they seem to use the same images on thier page adn have the same kind of 2 week free offer? Does anybody know about them? As i dislike screenclick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Use Search -- as far as I know there scammers!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The people who have set up moviestar.ie made their money (quite a lot of money) from phone in competitions: you know the ones ªCongratulations you are a winner in our fabulous competition: phone bla bla for our prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Buyer beware, a lot of complaints regarding this company. A few threads in Bargain Alerts related, one that Karoma linked has a good deal of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

wont be signing up to them then thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I've just signed up with crowd called Busybee DVD they seem to be associated with CD Wow there was a mix up with the sign up details but it's sorted now and I'm about to receive my first 2 DVD's so it's early days yet - I wasn't happy with Screenclick either and I don't paritcularly want those Moviestar people to have my money especially seeing where their own money has come from (that's karma people!). Problem with Screenclick is if you rent two DVD's and send them back they don't send you back 2 straight away (can take up to 48 hours before they send the second so you still only end up getting about 2 a week apparently Busy Bee send new DVD's as soon as they get the last 2 back plus they're slightly cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

The 'Moviestar' crowd are already in hot water (from Sunday Business Post);

Dublin brothers reported for renting out retail DVDs

10 September 2006 By Kieron Wood
    Two Dublin brothers who set up a DVD-rental business have been reported to film companies for breaching copyright by renting out retail DVDs.

Two Dublin brothers who set up a DVD-rental business have been reported to film companies for breaching copyright by renting out retail DVDs.

Gavin and Iain McConnon launched their online DVD rental service, Moviestar.ie, last month. However, the company has been unable to obtain sufficient copies of rental DVDs from film companies and has been buying DVDs from shops and renting these out instead.

‘‘DVD suppliers were unable to provide any rental copies of certain titles, as they are only manufactured to order once, when the title is released,” said Gavin McConnon, the managing director of Moviestar.ie. ‘‘We asked our suppliers to contact the studios directly to obtain advice, and they confirmed that there are no rental copies available.

‘‘You cannot run a DVD rental business without having all the movies released in the last year, and we did everything we could to obtain rental copies.

“When the studios and suppliers were unable to supply us with rental copies we had no choice but to obtain sale [retail] copies.”

But Frank O’Grady, the chief executive of Screenclick.ie, a competitor to Moviestar.ie, said: ‘‘We have to predict product demand months in advance.

If you predict that you will need 200 rental copies and you end up needing 400, you may have difficulty getting stock.

‘‘Buying is key to what we do. It’s not fair that a company can set up in competition and, if it finds that has miscalculated the demand, it just goes and buys extra retail copies and rents them out. Rental DVDs are about three times the price of ‘sell-through’ - or retail - DVDs.

‘‘Almost all retail DVDs have a warning on the DVD and on the cover that they must not be rented out. A colleague rented a retail copy of Scary Movie 4 from Moviestar.ie last week, and we have informed Miramax and Disney about this.”

Gavin McConnon said: ‘‘We asked a senior counsel to look into this for us and his opinion was that it was just a contractual issue and was not illegal.”

Solicitor Paul Lambert, who is a board member of the Copyright Association of Ireland, said: ‘‘Potentially, there could be copyright infringement.

“The licence given by the studios to buyers of retail DVDs is for personal use only.”

The McConnon brothers are also directors of Promocom Ireland, which was accused by the Office of Fair Trading in Britain of running misleading prize promotions.

The brothers have now promised the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to stop running such schemes in Britain.

In April 2004, the Irish regulator, Regtel, shut down lines for Parcel Plus, another McConnon company. It had sent misleading postcards telling recipients to phone a premium rate line for details of a package awaiting delivery.

Promocom’s registered office is at one of Gavin McConnon’s apartments on Clarion Quay in the IFSC, Dublin. Falcon Telecom, which is registered at the same address, was fined stg£10,000 by the British premium rate regulator, Icstis, a year ago for a misleading promotion.

Falcon is owned by MCC Print & Promotions, of which the McConnon brothers are also directors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shaptakster

eamon234 wrote:
    I've just signed up with crowd called Busybee DVD they seem to be associated with CD Wow there was a mix up with the sign up details but it's sorted now and I'm about to receive my first 2 DVD's so it's early days yet - I wasn't happy with Screenclick either and I don't paritcularly want those Moviestar people to have my money especially seeing where their own money has come from (that's karma people!). Problem with Screenclick is if you rent two DVD's and send them back they don't send you back 2 straight away (can take up to 48 hours before they send the second so you still only end up getting about 2 a week apparently Busy Bee send new DVD's as soon as they get the last 2 back plus they're slightly cheaper

Do you find busy bee a bit slow turning around the dvds though.
    I only get them turned around about every 10 days. Since the postal service is supposed to be faster than that i'm putting the blame with busy bee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Paddy P

Don't reward these scammers for all the people they've ripped off in the past.. One of these guys drives a lambourghini, or at least did, no doubt paid for by all the old age pensioners who got scammed with their junk mail. Don't support their current 'business venture'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pol o gallachoi

Beware! Steer clear! I signed up with moviestar-all was fine. Received email saying my account was moved over to screenclick (I wasn't asked). Had to chase them for refund cos i got charged twice at the change over. Screenclick are a little slower but that didn't bother me.
    This week i was sent an email by moviestar claimimg i still had one of their dvds. I told them to sort it out as i hadn't even received that title. Last night they said there was a mix up and are now claiming that I have a different title and that I will incur a replacement fee. Screenclick are trying to sort it for me. Hate giving over my bank details to online companies but I'm in a rural area and love my movies so it seemed like a good option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement