Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees...

Options
  • 06-09-2006 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I have to repeat a year in college; I'm transferring from UL and UCC and wasn't able to pass the year in UL.

I don't think I can afford the fees. I'm not really well enough to work through college and my Dad is retiring soon. It will be really hard to pay for them but I doubt I'm eligible for any kind of grant.

It says that if you have evidence of serious illness they can be wavered.

The reason I'm repeating the year and transferring is because of crippling depression and other mental health issues. The problem is, I don't see these people accepting "being sad" as a valid reason even though it's probably the most valid one - after all, if you're very ill it's on a rare occasion still possible to study, but if you're depressed to the point where you're often physically ill anyway there's no way you can concentrate.

So I'm wonderring if it's possible to make a case. I've been seeing a psychologist and psychiatrist at least 2 twice, sometimes 3 or times a month and I'm wonderring if we can work something out and how I'd go about it.

Thanks.

Comments

There isn't anyone here who can 100% tell you one way or another. The only advice I can give is that if you apply for a grant, the more information/documentation you can provide which relates to any mental health issues etc. the better. If that includes certified notes from a psychologist and psychiatrist, so be it.

At the very least, give your Council or VEC a call. There's nothing to lose from it.

[edit]

It might be worthwhile talking to someone within your college, by the way - most colleges allow you to repeat free of charge if it is on medical grounds. AFAIR this is a national policy. But check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Myth wrote:
    There isn't anyone here who can 100% tell you one way or another. The only advice I can give is that if you apply for a grant, the more information/documentation you can provide which relates to any mental health issues etc. the better. If that includes certified notes from a psychologist and psychiatrist, so be it.

At the very least, give your Council or VEC a call. There's nothing to lose from it.

[edit]

It might be worthwhile talking to someone within your college, by the way - most colleges allow you to repeat free of charge if it is on medical grounds. AFAIR this is a national policy. But check.

Yeah, it's definitely for Medical grounds, but they tend to **** you around with these things, they put them down in writing to look all progressive and fair, but then they'll claim later that psychiatric issues don't count unless there's some kind of specific disability or syndrome. Irish services for you :/

Advertisement