Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are we due a speed increase

• 06-09-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

It has been a policy of Eircom and all the other companies that resell theirproduct to give us an extra 1 MB once a yea. Now, I have forgotten when this happened last and do ye think they will up our speeds for the factor of 1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AFAIR, its generally been after New Years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No they won't , NTL have now stopped pushing the speed envelope and there is no new Smart out there either. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

yeah, that seems about right.

What do people want to see for the next update?
    Personally I'd like to see a price reduction + increased upload. I'm more interested in a boost in upload speed than download.

I know that it's early days but here are my (Slightly Optimistic) Predictions:
    2mb/256k -> 3mb/512k - €5 cheaper
    3mb/384k -> 5mb/768k - Same price

Hopefully there will be increases in caps by the resellers too.

Anybody want to add their predicitions?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    No they won't , NTL have now stopped pushing the speed envelope and there is no new Smart out there either. :(
    Really? You think that there wont be a speed-bump/price-reduction early next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I think you're right. There may be a slight price reduction but maybe a line rental increase to cancel it out. Alot of lines are creaking with the current speeds and most wouldn't handle much more.
    The last upgrade happened on the 23rd of January. The next major upgrade will probably be ADSL2+.
    BTW, I noticed a bit of a flurry in alot of exchanges in the last month or 2 so it may be a sign of something happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

abolishment of caps tbh. i'm happy with 3meg/384k tbh.

although that being said that doesn't mean i wouldn't take a price decrease and/or speed increase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Smart's experiment with increased speeds over last Christmas showed a lot of lines creaking and there has been a lot of posts on boards relating to line problems since the last speed increases. I would say that the average bb punter (not your typical boardsie now:) ) is quite content with existing speeds.

dub45 wrote:
    Smart's experiment with increased speeds over last Christmas showed a lot of lines creaking and there has been a lot of posts on boards relating to line problems since the last speed increases. I would say that the average bb punter (not your typical boardsie now:) ) is quite content with existing speeds.
    I'm quite content too but I still wouldn't mind a bit of a boost in upload speed and I'd like to see bitstream resellers increasing the caps. There should be a consumer broadband package with at least 512k up.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Alot of lines are creaking with the current speeds and most wouldn't handle much more.
    Corrrect, they would go to adsl2+ with the same packages in order that they could service more customers off the same exchange (actually its a copper bundle constraint) because adsl2+ lets them.

Basically given Irish line lengths 2 or 3 mbits is top whack for many if not most . They could maybe squeeze another 1 or 2 mbits down there but thats a 50% increase at best and at the cost of pissing people off if it goes wrong. A 1 - 2 mbits upgrade is 100% better.
    BTW, I noticed a bit of a flurry in alot of exchanges in the last month or 2 so it may be a sign of something happening.
    a flurry begod :p tell me more. Are you sure it was not a big union meeting and 11 o clock tea break in one ??

Sponge Bob wrote:
    a flurry begod tell me more. Are you sure it was not a big union meeting and 11 o clock tea break in one ??
    Ha, could be. I haven't been driving around the exchanges at night btw, just keeping an eye on the service bulletins. Maybe it's just regular stuff but there's been alot more of them lately.
    This one caught my eye:)
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/announce/announcement.asp?announcementid=167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

A rollout to ADSL2+ would be quite nice. All BT's Zyxel modems support ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yeah, I was curious about this myself. I thought Comreg force Eircom to upgrade each year and it automatically affects BT and UTV.

I would think the 3mb/384kb connection should go to at LEAST 4mb/784kb

ADSL2 would be lovely, but do all modems and routers support it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Like others I'd prefer an increase in upload speed. Not too bothered about an increase in download speed as 3mbit does me fine (Smart), though the upload I'd like increased to at least 512k.

exiztone wrote:
    I thought Comreg force Eircom to upgrade each year

ROFLMAO :D

Comreg :eek:

No! Smart Magnet and Digiweb Metro and NTL make them upgrade and thats in no particular order

Otherwise we would be where we only 3 years back, 512/128 for €100 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    512/128 for €100 a month
    €? I thought it was £?

(How time flies, etc.....)

I'd like some insider information anyway. Anyone work for Eircom? ;0

exiztone wrote:
    I'd like some insider information anyway. Anyone work for Eircom? ;0
    Who'd want to admit to that? :p
    Gombín was the man for inside info but he hasn't posted here for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

byte wrote:
    Like others I'd prefer an increase in upload speed. Not too bothered about an increase in download speed as 3mbit does me fine (Smart), though the upload I'd like increased to at least 512k.
    Same here exactly.
    Though for a few days Smart had somehow set my download speed to 8Mb :eek:
    It was most agreeable :D
    But yeah, increased upload speed is more needed IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Im on BTs 2mb/256k

Id like to see the upload increased to 512 on my package and 768 on the next
    one up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would love if eircom followed BT's appraoch on the next upgrade and put everybody up to 8mb download speeds and you get what your line can handle, the different packages would be graded by pricing, different upload speeds and different download limits. Eircoms business packages should be put up to 16mb or 24mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

daveyjoe wrote:
    I'm quite content too but I still wouldn't mind a bit of a boost in upload speed and I'd like to see bitstream resellers increasing the caps. There should be a consumer broadband package with at least 512k up.

the only people who want increased upload speed are torrent users, fu(k upload speed just use newsgroups :D

Gonzo wrote:
    I would love if eircom followed BT's appraoch on the next upgrade and put everybody up to 8mb download speeds and you get what your line can handle, the different packages would be graded by pricing, different upload speeds and different download limits. Eircoms business packages should be put up to 16mb or 24mb.

BTs approach?

are BT increasing anything?

im on BT+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the only people who want increased upload speed are torrent users, fu(k upload speed just use newsgroups

remote admin-ing my pc from college works so much nicer with 512kbps upload than with 128. Wow, a non-torrent use of upload.

How about being able to play games without making skype calls skip? Games need a lot of upload these days. 2 people playing WoW and an xbox live game would murder 128kbps upload.

Of course there's the WoW patches which are distributed through bittorrent, but of course as soon as anyone says bittorrent someone else says bittorrent = warez.

So the point of my rambling story is that anyone who wants faster upload (or download) is obviously only needing it to keep their ratio up in their highly illegal bittorrent client downloading highly illegal files.

Shame on you people!

BTs approach?

are BT increasing anything?

im on BT+
    He means BT in the UK.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Is everyones Eircom 2mb+ now? Mines only 1mb d/l.

Started off as 512, then it went to 1mb, then it went to 2mb, and about a month later it was back to 1mb :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

3mb solid since it was upgraded lol.

JNive wrote:
    3mb solid since it was upgraded lol.

same here, BT ftw

How soon do you think we'll know? I'm very anxious.

Btw, better upload doesn't necesserily fuel warez and pirating. We share our Internet connection throughout the house and it goes to **** when somebody sends an e-mail with file attachment or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

We already had an upgrade this year so wouldnt be expecting a new one till at least next year but if your looking for specifics your out of luck no one knows that.

• Advertisement

the only people who want increased upload speed are torrent users, fu(k upload speed just use newsgroups :D

I want a better upload for making video calls. I make a lot of video calls each week, if the upload was pushed to 512k then it would make everything a lot smoother.

Advertisement