Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland

• 07-09-2006 12:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there's a thread about the 3-2 victory tonight, but I want to gain a bit of respect for Northern Ireland, as a team, and as a great group of supporters.
    Most people thought the England 1-0 victory was a complete fluke, but from the 3-0 defeat by Iceland, beating Spain 3-2 (and coming from behind twice) was really something else, you have to admit...

You probably won't want to admit, but that was a great result - true we have to do that every time, but give us some credit - for a "nation" that has a quarter of the population and even less players in the better leagues...

Beat yourselves up, and discuss as you wish, but give credit where credit is due.

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Fair play to them. What an atmosphere there seemed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

The North are having a good year, and had a good few wins on the bounce at home until last weekend, i was expecting a decent performance, but not a win.
    Some touch by Healy for the last goal, even if was the greatest Wimbledon goal not scored by Wimbledon. Considering their manager, I probably shouldn't have been surprised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yay! wooo! great win, does it matter in the grand scheme of things, no.

1 small country with 2 international sides is beyond stupid. both sides should be unified imo.

it generally works out when ireland need a striker, n.ireland have one, if ireland need a right winger, n.ireland have one etc

combine the 2 sides, god knows both could use the bigger talent pool to chose from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

el rabitos wrote:
    yay! wooo! great win, does it matter in the grand scheme of things, no.

1 small country with 2 international sides is beyond stupid. both sides should be unified imo.

it generally works out when ireland need a striker, n.ireland have one, if ireland need a right winger, n.ireland have one etc

combine the 2 sides, god knows both could use the bigger talent pool to chose from

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Best supporters in the world as well, well apparently.

Not like in Landsdowne Road, where you get an odd look if you cheer on your team.

I'm sure a unified team will happen in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Fair play to Northern Ireland what a fantastic win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep well done to the Northies, stopped watching it when they went 2-1 down, my bad :(

Spanish manager may resign over the result as well.

(its nice to see one of the teams from this island play with a bit of passion, I hope Stevie was watching that game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

zabbo wrote:
    Best supporters in the world as well, well apparently.

Not like in Landsdowne Road, where you get an odd look if you cheer on your team.

I'm sure a unified team will happen in the future.

Well if there's still pushing for an All-Ireland league, an all-Ireland team will have to follow. Special dispensation may be given in the short term, but overall it would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Great win...it really was
    Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Northern Ireland 3-2 Spain
    Healy 20, 64, 80 - Xavi 14, Villa 52

A big congratulations and well done to Northen Ireland for this result which was a deserved win and played with some style and panache and definitely determination. The fans were outstanding as well and were the 12th man. Healy's 2nd goal was well worked and finished with aplomb. The 3rd goal although being route 1 from a Taylor kick-out was finished superbly by Healy.

Spain werent 100% at the races and didnt like the atmosphere. Only having 20 fans at the match or something with the vast bulk of their mere 300 ticket allocation returned meant that Windsor was a cauldron. But to be very fair to the Norn Iron fans, they didnt produce a hostile atmosphere and there was a lot of positivity in the air and celebration. Spain did ok at times but weren't set-up at the back well enough and paid the price.
    sinecurea wrote:
    I'm sure there's a thread about the 3-2 victory tonight, but I want to gain a bit of respect for Northern Ireland, as a team, and as a great group of supporters.
    Most people thought the England 1-0 victory was a complete fluke, but from the 3-0 defeat by Iceland, beating Spain 3-2 (and coming from behind twice) was really something else, you have to admit...

You probably won't want to admit, but that was a great result - true we have to do that every time, but give us some credit - for a "nation" that has a quarter of the population and even less players in the better leagues...

I think anyone that follows football impartially will give NI credit where credit is due, and they deserve their credit for this victory.

In terms of the suggestion that the associations should be united and merged to create one team, this will only happen AFTER both areas are joined as one country. The rift between the IFA and the FAI was huge at one point but has cooled in recent years, but they are well aware of the differences in the fan bases and their audience, etc. Time, maybe, we'll see.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

redspider wrote:
    In terms of the suggestion that the associations should be united and merged to create one team, this will only happen AFTER both areas are joined as one country. The rift between the IFA and the FAI was huge at one point but has cooled in recent years, but they are well aware of the differences in the fan bases and their audience, etc. Time, maybe, we'll see.

I would love to see it happen as I think that the rugby squad is hugely strengthened by the presence of the Ulster lads, but soccer is another story. I really can't see both teams merging comfortably. If I was a N. Ireland fan last night watching my team getting such a great result, I'd be kinda pissed that Ireland were trying to take over the lot 'for the good of us all'.

Maybe if N. Ireland go on a string of 20 losing matches they will really consider it :o I don't really know :(

Fair play to the lads last night though, goals 2 and 3 were class! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't stand Nothern Ireland but for some reason I found myself happy that they get the win last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Splitting is far easier than merging.

Too many people with too much to lose, especially officials at IFA and FAI. No chance of the lads in Belfast ceding control to the lads in Dublin, or vice versa.

IMO it won't happen before the country is politically united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

I think we could produce the same type of performance. Compare the performances of Robbie Keane captain of Premiership Spurs with the "world class" David Healy of Championship Leeds and maybe Robbie might stop running around like a headless chicken deflecting balls into his own net and concentrate on scoring goals. Also if we did unite (unlikely) first up who would make it onto our team apart from Healy and of course the manager because he has experience of that kind of thing.

patmac wrote:
    I think we could produce the same type of performance. Compare the performances of Robbie Keane captain of Premiership Spurs with the "world class" David Healy
    hehe. The panalist last night described Healy as their one world class player. :D To me there's 100 world class players in the world (about 10 for each position - Same as 10 world class 100m sprinters). Healy's not even Leeds United's first choice striker. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

It was brilliant to watch, Northern Ireland see to able to drum up these performances at Windsor that defy any norml thinking. Healy was brilliant, when was the last time you saw Robbie Keane play like that for Ireland? The North's players seem to play with a bit off attitude, a bit of who the **** do you think you are, and that's great to watch. I though Stev Davis was brilliant aswell.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done NI alright, my mates up there were going mad!

It is a shame that our bunch or heartly wimps would not take a leaf out of their book on how to play with passion.
    Healy was brilliant, an EX United reserve I think?

Healy played a handful of games with the United first-team, almost always as sub. He always looked good to me when he came on, all action and dangerous. But he was never given a real chance, and was sold very quickly. I'm surprised he hasnt done better for himself in his club career - he would have done a job in the premiership had he been given the chance.

Saying Ireland didnt give their all against Germany is codswallop. Yes, Norn Iron did very well against Spain, but Germany played a hell of a lot better against us than Spain did against NI. Norn Iron's first goal was a total gift from Alonso, there is no way on earth Germany would have conceded the third goal, and whether they would have given Healy the space to crack home his second is doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

it was nice to see the spain fans staying on and applauding the northern irish team after the match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Healy played a handful of games with the United first-team, almost always as sub. He always looked good to me when he came on, all action and dangerous. But he was never given a real chance, and was sold very quickly. I'm surprised he hasnt done better for himself in his club career - he would have done a job in the premiership had he been given the chance.

Saying Ireland didnt give their all against Germany is codswallop. Yes, Norn Iron did very well against Spain, but Germany played a hell of a lot better against us than Spain did against NI. Norn Iron's first goal was a total gift from Alonso, there is no way on earth Germany would have conceded the third goal, and whether they would have given Healy the space to crack home his second is doubtful.

Totally, agree with second part. I don't understand all the doomlords on here. get behind your team instead of complaining. Germany are an excellent team, as their new european record scorline, and 3rd place in the world cup suggests, and had it not been for a dubiouse line up we very easily could have got something from the game. In fact had it not been for an extremely dubious free kick we would have.

Good win for NI that's all I'm saying about that. They do have an extremely hard group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Agree I thought it was an improved performance passion wise from Ireland just think Keane needs to concentrate on doing what he does best. Norn Ireland will probably lose to Liechenstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Northern Ireland deserve congratulations for their victory.

I have never been to Windsor Park but some (Catholic) friends of mine who live in Belfast have started going back there in the last two or three years. They say the atmosphere is far less menacing than it was in the past. One thing they have pointed out is the almost complete absence of Rangers and Linfeld shirts – almost every fan wears the Northern Ireland jersey. Compare this to Lansdowne Road where a significant percentage of our supporters refuse to wear the Ireland shirt, instead preferring to don the colours of a foreign club team – Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Yeah, Ireland put in a lot of effort against Germany, but effort isn't good enough to me. Yesterday, Northern Ireland, with inferior players, played with loads of effort, but also with purpose and direction and that was what was most impressive. Yes, Spain weren't as good as Germany were, but most of those Northern Irish players wouldn't get on for the Republic.

nlgbbbblth wrote:

I have never been to Windsor Park but some (Catholic) friends of mine who live in Belfast have started going back there in the last two or three years. They say the atmosphere is far less menacing than it was in the past. One thing they have pointed out is the almost complete absence of Rangers and Linfeld shirts – almost every fan wears the Northern Ireland jersey. Compare this to Lansdowne Road where a significant percentage of our supporters refuse to wear the Ireland shirt, instead preferring to don the colours of a foreign club team – Celtic.

There is a massive difference between wearing a Rangers jersey to a Norn Ireland Game and wearing a Celtic Jersey to a Rep Ireland.

Yeah, Ireland put in a lot of effort against Germany, but effort isn't good enough to me. Yesterday, Northern Ireland, with inferior players, played with loads of effort, but also with purpose and direction and that was what was most impressive. Yes, Spain weren't as good as Germany were, but most of those Northern Irish players wouldn't get on for the Republic.

So can I ask you if effort isn't enough for you what is?

Alex Ferguson has a framed quote in his office. He's had it since he was a manager at Aberdeen and it goes.

'Hard work will beat talent if talent fails to work hard' This is the difference between the two games. Ireland worked hard in their match but so did Germany. Germany have undoubtedely greater pool of talent.

Norn Ireland worked ridicuously hard in their match against Spain but as usual the Sainards didn't work at all. It was a great win for them and fair play but these things happen.

the problem for me with Rep Ireland they tend to play well against the big boys and sh1t against the mediocre boys.

AthAnRi wrote:
    There is a massive difference between wearing a Rangers jersey to a Norn Ireland Game and wearing a Celtic Jersey to a Rep Ireland.
    Please explain what the "massive difference" is in your opinion.

I'm not a Celtic supporter but about 10-15 years ago when I was a teenager I occassionally wore my brother's Celtic jersey to Irish games. Purely because it was green. I also occassionally wore a green Liverpool jersey, again for the same reasons. I didnt have an Irish soccer jersey. Now I wear an Irish rugby jersey when I go. However I would never wear a Celtic jersey now that I'm older and perhaps wiser. And the amount of Celtic jersies going to Ireland games has significantly reduced over the last 15 years.

nlgbbbblth wrote:

I have never been to Windsor Park but some (Catholic) friends of mine who live in Belfast have started going back there in the last two or three years. They say the atmosphere is far less menacing than it was in the past.
    The same goes for Linfield supporters. It's probably why my hatred for them is fading. :)
    I wouldn't say it's a massive difference but I'd say it's something to do with the fact that the Northern Ireland support at Windsor park was almost exclusively protestant (don't know exactly what it's like now). Supporting Celtic and Rangers in Northern Ireland is completely down to religion and they want to keep that out of football. It seems to be changing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wouldn't say it's a massive difference but I'd say it's something to do with the fact that the Northern Ireland support at Windsor park was almost exclusively protestant (don't know exactly what it's like now). Supporting Celtic and Rangers in Northern Ireland is completely down to religion and they want to keep that out of football. It seems to be changing though.

You'd wonder what it was like 20 years ago when they had Pat Jennings, Martin O'Neill and Gerry Armstrong on the team?

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    You'd wonder what it was like 20 years ago when they had Pat Jennings, Martin O'Neill and Gerry Armstrong on the team?
    What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

nlgbbbblth wrote:

Or even what it was like more recently than that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

And the amount of Celtic jersies going to Ireland games has significantly reduced over the last 15 years.

And your extensive research has shown this?

If you are enough of a pedant to criticise someone for saying “massive difference” you better be ready to defend/ define your statement of “significantly reduced”.

Back on topic:

Fair play to Northern Ireland. It should be a good lesson that, hopefully, will encourage our team to believe that we can punch above our weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

they cost me about 300 quid winnings :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

AthAnRi wrote:
    No there isn't. Trust me, I've seem both, been to both. It's exactly the same.

And your extensive research has shown this?

If you are enough of a pedant to criticise someone for saying “massive difference” you better be ready to defend/ define your statement of “significantly reduced”.
    Whats biting your balls fanny?

"you better be ready to defend/ define your statement " :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My post wasnt criticising Athenry. I was just interested to hear his opinion of what the massive difference is.

I went to almost every Ireland home game in the period 1985 to 2005, so I'm qualified to give my view based on my experiences. There is no doubt in my mind that in the period 85-88 Celtic jersies outnumbered Ireland jersies, and it was probably 50-50 until the early 90s. These days there are still Celtic jersies at Ireland games, but far fewer, and the number of Ireland jersies bears no comparison to the mid and late 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    significant percentage of our supporters refuse to wear the Ireland shirt
    Have to agree with the Rooster on this one, vast majority of jersey's worn are Ireland ones.

the difference is that Wearing a Rangers Jersey to a Norn Ireland Game is the same as wearing a celtic jersey to a Norn Ireland game. It's a political statement. Also if it was a case that Norn Ireland played in Blue then it could be argued that it was an innocent mistake. Which I'm sure for a small minority it is.

Wearing a Celtic Jersey isn't so political because the vast majority of Rep Ireland supporters are Catholic. Meaning wearing a celtic Jersey as a political message is absolutely pointless. Hence it is merely done, by the vast majority of Irish supporters, as the colors are the same. Secondly while celtic is a Club based in Scotland it has a massive Irish connection including the fact that it was set up by a sligo man. Rangers and Celtic have little or no connection with Norn Ireland other than their Religion.

In germany there was a lot of Celtic Jerseys but there were also a lot of Cork City Jerseys, I seen a few Limerick GAA jerseys too. They were all green and white.

Whether the wearer of a jersey is aware of it or not, the simple fact is that the wearing of a Rangers or a Celtic jersey (at events not involving either club) is viewed by many people as a stamp of Protestantism or Catholicism, and thus sectarian.

When the Protestant/Orange march happened in Dublin the amount of Celtic jersies worn by the protesters was extraordinary. Purely worn for sectarian reasons, and so it rammed home to me that it is used by many for sectarian reasons, and I can fully understand how a protestant can view a Celtic jersey in exactly the same way as many of us view Rangers jersies at NI matches or at Protestant funerals etc.

Many of us view Rangers jersies at NI games as sectarian. Many NI fans view Celtic jersies at ROI games as sectarian, which is understandable. Therefore neither jersey should be worn at those games in my opinion. But of course it is up to individuals to make their own decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

In fairness, and in perspective, that is probably the worst Spanish performance in decades, regardless of opposition, a lot of weak teams would have beaten them.

The first two goals, infact all 3 goals, would be the worst goals you will ever see Spain concede from a defensive point of view. I am extremely conident no one can tell me a worse goal Spain have conceded, again, from a defencive point of view, than any of those.

But fair play to N.Ireland, and Healey. 3rd goal was a gem and a world class finish. He really is a top class player and his scoring record at international level is phenominal! Why he is not playing in the PL is beyond me, but he would be a great signing in the January window should any club decide to swoop.

He's the first N.Ireland player to score a hatrick in 30 odd years and the last one was George Best...says it all really, he is already one of the all time greats of Northern Irish soccer.

But well done N.Ireland, great performance, passion and finishing chances...I can safely say you're better than your southern counterparts at those aspects anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont really think theres a sectarian, catholic connection to wearing a celtic jersey at an ireland match. For one thing i would say for the majority of ROI people, religeon doesn't even cross your mind, pretty much ever. At the last ireland game i got tickets for there was 3 of us went up, one wore a Celtic jersey, one a cork city jersey and me a Real Betis jersey (grown out of the old ireland one sadly), all simply because they're green. There are a lot more ireland jerseys then long ago, but thats just cause more people own them following a period of success and interest, where nearly everyone owned a celtic jersey before. Sure have you ever seen the crowd at a Cork GAA match, theres always southern cross flags and USSR flags and chinese flags, but its just cause they're red, nothing to do with peoples political beliefs. I would say there might be a sectarian element to NI people coming down to an ireland game wearing a celtic jersey, but for the majority of us for whom the whole catholic/protestent divide plays no part in our lives, a green jersey is simply a green jersey.

Just my opinion and feeling anyway.

Incidentally, well done to NI! Fantastic performance, was delighted for them (though also angry as had spain in an accumulator!)

• Advertisement

Absolutely rebel, but the point is wearing Celtic jersies at non Celtic events is seen by many to be sectarian, even if the wearer doesnt intend it. Celtic jersies are certainly used as sectarian symbols by some.

In my opinion its difficult to make the case that Celtic jersies at Ireland games are not sectarian but Rangers jersies at NI games are sectarian. Therefore I wouldnt wear a Celtic jersey. But of course its up to everyone to make their decision

I'm not justifying it but there's a difference between sectarianism at an Ireland match and sectarianism at a Northern Ireland match. Why? Republic: 88% Catholic, around 3% Protestant. Northern Ireland: 53% Prosestant, 43% Catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Whats biting your balls fanny?

"you better be ready to defend/ define your statement " :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My post wasnt criticising Athenry. I was just interested to hear his opinion of what the massive difference is.

apologies. i stupidly thoght you were critisising someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT RELIGION PLEASE?
    Jesus - and you always accuse us of starting everything!
    I started this thread about football *on the pitch*, not religion.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm not justifying it but there's a difference between sectarianism at an Ireland match and sectarianism at a Northern Ireland match. Why? Republic: 88% Catholic, around 3% Protestant. Northern Ireland: 53% Prosestant, 43% Catholic.

While your point may be vaild, and Norn Iron may have a different sociologicaly make up to the rest of the uk, wearing a Celtic Jersey to a game in support of the Republic of Ireland is a bit daft. It may be green etc, but in all fairness, criticising the Norn Iron Supporters for wearing Rangers Jerseys while defending Ireland fans for wearing Celtic jerseys is a bit daft, is it not?.
    It should not be about religion, really it shouldn't.

eirebhoy wrote:

This is exactly what i'm getting at. People wear/wore celtic/rangers jerseys to Norn Ireland matches to cause trouble. While a lot of Norn Ireland Catholics support Rep of Ireland, many of them support NI. So to wear either Jersey to this match is asking for trouble. Considering there is such a high percentage of both religons in the country.

Wearing a Celtic jersey to a Rep Ireland match, while it may be in a very small minorities mind to be a political statement, most people wear it because it is the same color and they happen to support celtic. Either way it's gonna cause f'all trouble.

Also as side issue Rangers has absolutely no direct connection with NI apart from the religious connection, while Celtic has a massive one with Ireland. It's effectively an Irish club on foreign soil. Ala Boston Celtic, Hibernians, London Irish etc...

Blackjack wrote:
    While your point may be vaild, and Norn Iron may have a different sociologicaly make up to the rest of the uk, wearing a Celtic Jersey to a game in support of the Republic of Ireland is a bit daft. It may be green etc, but in all fairness, criticising the Norn Iron Supporters for wearing Rangers Jerseys while defending Ireland fans for wearing Celtic jerseys is a bit daft, is it not?.
    It should not be about religion, really it shouldn't.

Is wearing a Cork City to a Rep Of Ireland Match Daft? Is wearing a Connaught Rugby jersey to a London Irish Rugby game Daft? Is wearing a London Irish Jersey to a Ireland rugby game Daft? I don't think so.

Is wearing an Ireland Jersey to a Rangers match daft? Is wearing a Celtic jersey to a Norn Ireland Game daft? Is wearing a Rangers Jersey to a Norn Ireland Game daft? Is wearing a Rangers Jersey to a Rep of Ireland math Daft? Yes indeed.

Honestly I can't see the difference between a Republic Of Ireland Jersey and a Celtic one. It symbolises exactly the same thing. Irishness. It also symbolises Catholism wether you like it or not. Walk down the wrong parts of Glasgow or Ediburgh with a Republic of Ireland jersey, then walk down the same area of the same cities with a Celtic jersey. Compare the differences.

AthAnRi wrote:
    Is wearing a Cork City to a Rep Of Ireland Match Daft? Is wearing a Connaught Rugby jersey to a London Irish Rugby game Daft? Is wearing a London Irish Jersey to a Ireland rugby game Daft? I don't think so.

Is wearing an Ireland Jersey to a Rangers match daft? Is wearing a Celtic jersey to a Norn Ireland Game daft? Is wearing a Rangers Jersey to a Norn Ireland Game daft? Is wearing a Rangers Jersey to a Rep of Ireland math Daft? Yes indeed.

Honestly I can't see the difference between a Republic Of Ireland Jersey and a Celtic one. It symbolises exactly the same thing. Irishness. It also symbolises Catholism wether you like it or not. Walk down the wrong parts of Glasgow or Ediburgh with a Republic of Ireland jersey, then walk down the same area of the same cities with a Celtic jersey. Compare the differences.

First off, wearing the Jersey of a Scottish Club to an Irish International game is daft, in my opinion. You may as well wear a Man U Jersey or a Tampa Bay Rowdies for all the significance, but they're not playing at Ireland Internationals, and neither are Celtic. Whether Celtic and Ireland as one and the same in Scotland is not the issue here. Read my post again, my point was related to the criticism of some Norn Iron fans wearing Rangers Jerseys while it seems OK for Celtic Jerseys to be Worn at Ireland Games.

Absolutely rebel, but the point is wearing Celtic jersies at non Celtic events is seen by many to be sectarian, even if the wearer doesnt intend it. Celtic jersies are certainly used as sectarian symbols by some.

In my opinion its difficult to make the case that Celtic jersies at Ireland games are not sectarian but Rangers jersies at NI games are sectarian. Therefore I wouldnt wear a Celtic jersey. But of course its up to everyone to make their decision

I think it's important for me to emphasize that I'm not trying to single out rangers fans or Protestants. I'm trying to get people to understand that I believe the if you are/were to wear either a celtic or rangers jersey to a NI match is equally crazy because sectarianism is/was such a problem there.

Sectarianism is not a problem in Ireland at the moment. I believe The large majority of people that wear Celtic jerseys at an Ireland match are not wearing it to cause trouble or to show there catholicisim.

BTW I'm not a Celtic supporter either. Nor have I ever worn a celtic jersey to an Ireland match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Id agree with Athanri there, although still I wouldn't wear a Celtic jersey to an Ireland game, becasue I dont support Celtic, nor do I assiciate supporting Celtic with Ireland. As said sectarianism is not a problem, so it doesn't cause problems in Ireland, where in Northern Ireland, it obviously does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement