Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

replacing brake shoes on Octavia

Options
  • 07-09-2006 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi can anyone help me on this, was going to replace the rear brake shoes on an octavia, tried to remove the brake brake drum got it removed a little but then seems to have jammed, is it ok to force it off all the way or is there something else holding it apart from the screw that holds it in place. any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

A few slaps of a sledge.

I've never replaced brakes on an Octavia, but usually there's nothing else except that screw holding the drum in place:the shoes hold it in there til you get it past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

AFAIK you need a windback tool, I do remember seeing a picture of a home made one on www.vagdrivers.net or www.vage.ie.

If you serch on www.briskoda.net I have heard it mentioned a lot. Never bother changing them myself, brought it to local dealer.

Just found this, http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/rear_pads.htm from a search on briskoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

GAFF wrote:
    AFAIK you need a windback tool, I do remember seeing a picture of a home made one on www.vagdrivers.net or www.vage.ie.

If you serch on www.briskoda.net I have heard it mentioned a lot. Never bother changing them myself, brought it to local dealer.

Just found this, http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/rear_pads.htm from a search on briskoda.
    He's trying to do shoes, not pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Best way to free a hub is to undo the center hub nut. Give the hub a couple of firm bangs around the edges. Then put the wheel back onl using two nuts. Give the wheel a good pull from side to side and it should pop of easy.

If it doesnt a sliding hammer designed to extract a hub is the next option. Do not use a sledge hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

VeVeX wrote:
    Best way to free a hub is to undo the center hub nut. Give the hub a couple of firm bangs around the edges. Then put the wheel back onl using two nuts. Give the wheel a good pull from side to side and it should pop of easy.

Do you not end up with a handful of bearings and the drum still covering the shoes though?

VeVeX wrote:
    If it doesnt a sliding hammer designed to extract a hub is the next option. Do not use a sledge hammer.

You can use a sledge or lump hammer, the latter being more suitable in close proximity to a car if you place a block of wood or similar between the item in need of persuasion and the persuader.

• Advertisement
Advertisement