Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!

Options
  • 07-09-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I've about 60k € in different bank accounts and would like to do something with it. Thing is I'm clueless to the various investment options available.
    Is Eddie Hobb's Loot book any good?
    Anyone recommend any reading material that would be a help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Have a a browse and ask questions on askaboutmoney.com .

I'd consider a long term investment fund or use the money to make AVC's to your pension as you get great tax benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

What tax advantages is there if you use the money for the purpose of AVc's, as I'm assumming that tax has already been paid on this savings? Will you be able to claim the tax back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

There is tax relief on AVC's, not unlimited so u should take advice.

OP:

IMHO: The key factors in investment are
    1 what is ur attitude to risk?
    2 Do you need access to the money at all times or can u lock it away.
    3 All other things being equal, which they are rarely, if ever, long term investmenst yield higher returns.

While property may look v attractive and people will snow u with lies, damn lies, statistics and bull**** when it comes to comparing property versus equities. [The one I like best is "in the long term bla bla bla], as the reality is in the long term we are all dead.] what I like about equities is that u can get ur hands on a small bit of your investment if u need to, where as if it is locked up in a property that is not easy
    There are property based unit trusts etc but thats another story.

If u are taking advice, get independent advice and not from a tied agent

Advertisement