Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP from digiweb

Options
  • 07-09-2006 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

I'm on the digiweb metro 3Mb product and yesterday mailed them to request my static IP address. I got the follwoing email:

Your static IP is XXXXX
    This will only be assigned to the device connected now which has MAC address XXXXX

Now my girlfriends laptop would have been connected at that time so will I be able to use this or will I have to contact them with my own mac address and ask them to change it? If so, where does one get the Mac address from. Apologies if this seems a little dumb!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Are you sure the mac address they specified wasn't the mac address of your modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Oh right, I'll check that out. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If its windows on the laptop open up a command line box ( Start-->Run and type cmd in the box to get one going afaik) then type
    ipconfig/all

Somewhere in the text you get back will be the MAC of the ethernet/wireless of her laptop.

If its a linux laptop get to a command line and go

ifconfig

and you will see it , MACs look like XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

If they have locked it to the wrong box , you can either phone them or change it (not ideal though)

Advertisement