Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 07-09-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Ok for all you drivers out there? Who has the most penalty points on their licence and does anyone have any funny stories about how they got them?

I have 2 but no funny story to go with it... I just got caught speeding. :rolleyes:

And wouldn't it be nice if you had one of these ":mad: " for every point you have stuck to your licence? Just as a reminder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have two :o:o for doing 140 on a 100 road.
    80 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Am getting 2 for doing 61kph on a 50kph road...speeding is speeding though.:o

I was told that they expire after 2 years? is this true? These are on my provisional licence will they transfer to my full licence when i get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

kodute wrote:
    Am getting 2 for doing 61kph on a 50kph road...speeding is speeding though.:o

I was told that they expire after 2 years? is this true? These are on my provisional licence will they transfer to my full licence when i get it?

I think I was told 3 years. And i've no idea about what happens when you get your full licence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I got 12 all in one go, do I win? :D

Clean license though once I got it back 18 months later and I've been a relatively good boy since.

How did you get 12 all in one go? you must have been Speeding, No Seatbelt, On Phone, picking your nose... etc. all at the same time??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Got two for speeding in a 50km/h zone aswell, think I was doing 72 km/h. Was well pissed off as it was a bank holiday monday and raining. That is the time when you least expect them out doing speed checks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

robinph wrote:
    I got 12 all in one go, do I win? :D

Clean license though once I got it back 18 months later and I've been a relatively good boy since.
    You should be proud. No, really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if you got 12 all at one go how are you still on the roads???

I have 4 for speeding!!

If you get 6 on a provisional you are off the road and 12 on a full!!
    Also points will be removed off your lisence after 3 years and they will tranfer to your full lisence!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

markdunne wrote:
    How did you get 12 all in one go? you must have been Speeding, No Seatbelt, On Phone, picking your nose... etc. all at the same time??
    Crashed into an off duty copper whilst pissed.

The one and only time that I ever happened to have keys to a vehicle on me at the same time as drinking and then thought it was a good idea to drive back home from my mates that I was supposed to be staying at that night.
    jonny24ie wrote:
    Well if you got 12 all at one go how are you still on the roads???
    Was on a UK license many years ago.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

robinph wrote:
    Crashed into an off duty copper whilst pissed.

The one and only time that I ever happened to have keys to a vehicle on me at the same time as drinking and then thought it was a good idea to drive back home from my mates that I was supposed to be staying at that night.

Was on a UK license many years ago.
    I trust you've learnt your lesson...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Got 2 for speeding on the way out of Thurles one morning, doing 87mph in the 30 zone (no excuse :( ) but the guard who caught me said that he was trying to get me to stop for 2 miles. I didn't cop him at all as I had the 2000watt sound system up to full.. God did I do some grovelling then!

Funny thing was though I didn't pay the fine in time, and belted it down to Thurles station 3 weeks after the payment date had expired. Who did I see on the desk only Mr 2 mile chase. I just paid the extra fine without a whimper :p

Another occasion saw me being threatened with 8 points in the one go for No seatbelt, Driving with a Prov on the Motorway, Driving without a Licenced passenger, Dangerous Driving and Speeding. But he let me off all of them.. after I sh1t me pants :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have two from last summer... But I'm sort of waiting for another 2 to come through the door because I'm 90% sure I was caught speeding about a month back.. Was on an 80K stretch of road, was doing about 90 when I spotted yer man with the hair drying so I slowed down but think I was still at about 84 as I passed him.... I know its been a month but last time it took longer than that to arrive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

this is a great thread! makes me feel like a great driver! :D

Does anyone have any experience with avoiding the points? For example my speeding (60 in a 50 zone) my speedometer is broken (displaying 10mph slower) and the garage are being b******s about fixing it. I was going to try using that excuse to avoid the points. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kodute wrote:
    this is a great thread! makes me feel like a great driver! :D

Does anyone have any experience with avoiding the points? For example my speeding (60 in a 50 zone) my speedometer is broken (displaying 10mph slower) and the garage are being b******s about fixing it. I was going to try using that excuse to avoid the points. :cool:
    In my experience you'll gett away with a few kph over the limit. I have a GPS system in my car that tells me my speed and when the car says i'm doing 105kph, the GPS says i'm only doing 95!! So which is right? the Car or the GPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

motor forum tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've 2 points(i think) for 78 in a 60.
    Did anyone here get any sort of notification after paying the fine that the points are now officially on your licence?
    I could be wrong but i thought I read somewhere that you'll be sent such a notice.
    If I am wrong then I DO have 2 points.:(

I didn't get any notice saying that I now had points, but then again I got mine going through Kilmacanogue which was on the news a couple of months ago saying that it wasn't a legal speed limit and anyone who was given points would automatically have them taken off. I didn't get notified if this happened either and do you think I can find anyone to speak to about it??? Not a chance, every department and Garda fobbed me off onto another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yeah, the points start from the week after you receive the notice :( which is a tad unfair considering how long it takes them to send the damn things out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

ive been driving for only a few weeks and i got caught doing 94km/h in a 60km/h zone. it was the outer ring road in waterford which is a dual carriageway and is ridiculously slow. basterds caught me at the top of the hill just as i was pulling back into the laft hand lane finishing overtaking some knobend doing 50km/h. I heard that if you get 6 points on a provisional lisence youre off the road is this true?

anyway its made me paranoid on the road now :) me slow the feck down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kano476 wrote:
    i
    anyway its made me paranoid on the road now :) me slow the feck down!

Job done then.

MrP

Is there anywhere people can actually ring or a website they can go to to find out how many points they have/when they will expire etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I got my notification of points in the post, filed it. Then a police man rang me to ask me where I lived. Stupid me told him. Oh great he said I will be around with a summons. The court date was 3 days away. I told the police man I never got the first post. He said we there have been problems with the post tell the judge. I was gonna use this stratergy but as it turned out the police didn't show up in court so nil point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

markdunne wrote:
    In my experience you'll gett away with a few kph over the limit. I have a GPS system in my car that tells me my speed and when the car says i'm doing 105kph, the GPS says i'm only doing 95!! So which is right? the Car or the GPS?

On a straight & flat road, I'd trust the GPS more.

You may get a but of leeway from a manned checkpoint, but if they have the gatso pointed at you, then it probably just takes a picture of anyone over the limit, even if it's 1kmh over. Unless the Gardai calibrate it to 55kmh instead of 50kmh I suppose...
    connundrum wrote:
    Got 2 for speeding on the way out of Thurles one morning, doing 87mph in the 30 zone (no excuse )

Seriously? you were doing nearly 90 in a 30 zone? I'd be hesitant doing 90mph/144kmh on the M50 let alone in a residential area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

xzanti wrote:
    I have two from last summer... But I'm sort of waiting for another 2 to come through the door because I'm 90% sure I was caught speeding about a month back.. Was on an 80K stretch of road, was doing about 90 when I spotted yer man with the hair drying so I slowed down but think I was still at about 84 as I passed him.... I know its been a month but last time it took longer than that to arrive :o

As far as i know he would have had to stop you if it was the hand held job
    camera. Its fixed cameras and gatso's that do you in the post! I got 2 points on the M1 coming into the airport, 81km in a 60km zone, its on a bend
    and the gatso was was waiting for me! smile.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

omega man wrote:
    As far as i know he would have had to stop you if it was the hand held job
    camera. Its fixed cameras and gatso's that do you in the post! I got 2 points on the M1 coming into the airport, 81km in a 60km zone, its on a bend
    and the gatso was was waiting for me! smile.....
    Apparently two districts (Louth and Laois) have hand held cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

2 just got the notification of them today, they'll be on my licence a whole 162 days after i committed the offence, bit of a joke thats nearly half a year i could have gone on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

omega man wrote:
    As far as i know he would have had to stop you if it was the hand held job camera.
    Yeah, they have to pull you over to catch you with the hairdryers. For this reason, you're much more likely to receive points if caught on camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, they have to pull you over to catch you with the hairdryers. For this reason, you're much more likely to receive points if caught on camera.

Is that right? I'm gutted because I was doing 55 kmph today in a 50 kmph zone, just spotted yer man with his hairdryer.
    He was sat in the 80kmph part of the road.
    What do you think are the chances of me getting points?

Advertisement