Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

very slim i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks draffodx. I'll be watching my speed from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

kano476 wrote:
    ive been driving for only a few weeks and i got caught doing 94km/h in a 60km/h zone. it was the outer ring road in waterford which is a dual carriageway and is ridiculously slow

madness is all you can say about the speed limit on that road. 60km for a road with 2 lanes going both ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mossy Monk wrote:
    madness is all you can say about the speed limit on that road. 60km for a road with 2 lanes going both ways
    All the side roads off of it have an 80km/h limit. :eek:

Bond-007 wrote:

same as the dual carriageway i got done on, 60kmh speed limit, like shooting fish in a barrel and not doing anything to actually improve road safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bond-007 wrote:

they interviewed some idiot from the council about it on the radio when it opened... seems the road is designed for 70kph , but thats not a speed limit...

then he was asked did the road from superquinn out to the ring road get less safe (it changed from 100kph to 60kph)... he had no answer...

and how about the bog roads connected to with the 80kph limit... no answer there either....

the new speed limits are a joke, theres windy bendy roads with a 100kph limit and then nice straight roads with 80kph.......talk about alienating the motorist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Heh. I got 4 altogther - 2 sets of 2 for doing 80 on the Naas Road in a 60 zone. The really annoying thing was that they raised the speed limit to 80 a month later. I can't complain though... I've really changed my driving style since, because I think it was obvious that I needed to. Having said that, the Garda approach to cash-cow roads, the the general decisions on speed limits are hard to fathom. The section of the Naas Road I was caught on has 4 lanes (if you count the bus lane), and yet it only had a 60kph limit? And the best bit was that it took the Gardai so long to send out the notice of the first offence, I was caught again in the meantime.

Like I say though, it was my own fault for not being observant enough and looking at the roadsigns. You can't blame the Gardai for that. I renewed my insurance policy last week, and it didn't make any difference to the premium, so as long as I don't go nuts and get myself banned, it would seem that everything is hunky dory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

i did hear of someone who lost their licence in a week. seemingly they built up the 12 points in 6 days. part of it was that they got caught speeding 4 times on the same atretch of road and had lost their licence before the first notification had arrived. imagine getting 6 notices in the post one after the other!!! i think if that happened to me i'd think that it's mates of mine trying to wind me up.

D.

btw i'm like the runner up in the eurovision with nul point.

In fairness that guy should have legged it up north and got himself a UK licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Can you get a UK licence if you live in the south? That'd be dead handy.

markdunne wrote:
    Can you get a UK licence if you live in the south? That'd be dead handy.
    No. But there are ways to do it. I shall say nomore as a ban may ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

connundrum wrote:

Another occasion saw me being threatened with 8 points in the one go for No seatbelt, Driving with a Prov on the Motorway, Driving without a Licenced passenger, Dangerous Driving and Speeding. But he let me off all of them.. after I sh1t me pants :o

AFAIK you get the highest single offence in points, eg.speeding, no seat belt through a red light would incur 2 points..... sounds like that guard didnt know what he was on about.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also, they haven't yet introduced penalty points for driving unaccompanied or driving on the motorway, even though the Road Traffic Act allows for them.

Advertisement