Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIT Wireless

• 07-09-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey people.

Just a quick question. Where in the college offers wireless access to the internet (802.11 b/g/?). I remember someone telling me you can use it in the Walton library but is there anywhere else on campus where it is available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Unless the IT department has changed its policies, there are no non-institute PCs allowed to connect to the network........though a bit of cat5 and network point may work anyway......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As far as I know, there isnt anywhere you can use Wireless Internet. At least, definately not all over the college. Maybe in the library but again, not to sure on that one. I heard that someone managed to connect to it in the IT Building but that was a once off. ;)

Im part of the SNET Computing Society and we are going to try and presuade the college (again) to offer it to members of SNET at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

I joined the computer society last year, but heard nothing back from them.

One of the lecturers told me that wireless access was available in the library. It would be a damn good idea if it was made available as it's ridiculous trying to get a free computer during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

I also came across the article below that says the College were working with FON on supplying wireless access. The article is from a Blog, so take what you will from it.
    “the deal is that the college makes FON available throughout the campus, and in return, the students and lecturers will get free Internet access via FON. The university also gets the opportunity to earn revenue.”

You can see the full thing here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Wireless at WIT has been discussed on SNET, but I seriously doubt that the college will let SNET run a wireless network. If we did get one going though, who would use it would depend on who funds the hardware. It would either be restricted to SNET members (most likely) or made available to all students.

The college doesnt want non-institute computers on their network for various reasons even though demand outstrips supply (the main reason bebo was blocked). It wouldnt hurt them to let students bring in their own machines, once they have been checked to ensure they have adequate antivirus, there are plenty of good free av proggies like AOL Defender (Kaspersky AV Pro), AVG and Avira Antivir.

I am more curious to know why the CSD has started blocking Firefox from running on their machines (politics?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I am more curious to know why the CSD has started blocking Firefox from running on their machines (politics?).

even firefox portable??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

the reason would be that they can monitor patches and the like for IE, or the lack of patches. Plus firefox has extensions so it's unpredictable as to what the end user will get up to on it.

@bp_me: They dont block firefox as such, thats not practical. The exception is if WIT decides to impliament a software firewall that can prevent firefox itself from accessing the internet, or a programme that monitors attempts by programmes to run and quietly kills unwanted processes.

@Rollo Tamasi: Firefox doesnt need to be patched like IE does. Firefox auto-updates itself with newer versions periodically, so, its not difficult for WIT's CSD staff to just check each computer remotely (yes they can do that) and make sure firefox has rolled over to the next version. Extensions are not a problem either, if the college provided firefox on their computers, assuming a user could install extensions, they would be lost as soon as they logged off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

As far as I know, "firefox.exe" is blocked from running on the college PCs. At least in the IT Buidling. Hence why Portable Firefox is the way to go, and you can keep extensions / favourites / history etc. all there without any hassle.

Redundo: Yes, so did I. However, its been taken over now. rogue-entity and myself will do our best to get things running as they should this year.

The college opens on Monday, we will know if the college has any plans on Wireless soon enough. I dont feel too optimistic, but if the CSD doesnt get wireless going, perhaps they will give SNET permission to set one up.

• Advertisement

I have been told that this year wireless will be introduced throughout the college. Also, more access to the PCs in regards to Open Source stuff (such as Firefox I believe) will be introduced this year.

Sully04 wrote:
    I have been told that this year wireless will be introduced throughout the college. Also, more access to the PCs in regards to Open Source stuff (such as Firefox I believe) will be introduced this year.
    I wouldnt hold my breath, but if they roll one out.. fantastic.

As for OpenSource... again, I woulnt be surprised, but some things like Firefox are unlikly to appear in the standard images on the PCs. The IT manager told me they only support IE, and by only providing IE, Office etc, they keep their systems homogenous save for department specific software. They could provide Firefox if they really wanted to though.

Advertisement