Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable Windows Company

Options
  • 07-09-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I am planning on installing new front windows and doors in a house in West Dublin (2 bay windows, 1 small bathroom window and a new front and back door). Can anyone recommend a company that they have used before and if possible what you got installed and how much it cost. From reading other threads I understand that the cost all depends on the size of the windows and doors.
    Also I am planning on digging up the front lawn and driveway and putting down cobble lock or crazy paving. The dimensions are as follows:
    Front lawn: 4.2m wide by 7.1m long
    Driveway: 2.7m wide by 10.2m long
    Again if anyone can recommend a reliable company, which they have already used before and a rough cost of what they got done I would really appreciate it. I am not planning on doing any of the work myself - I would not like to kit something under the driveway or lawn!

Thanks in advance,

Barty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

I am currently using a company called Produkt.

They are really good and the windows that they provide are really high quality and therefore also expensive. It depends on what you are looking for. They are roughly the same cost as Marvin windows but IMO far far superior.

Check them out on www.produkt.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

avoid Senator, long delays, rudeness, poor finish, shoddy installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Hi twenty8,
    Thanks for the info - can you tell me what you are getting them to do and how much it costs? If you would prefer not to say it's no problem - just thought that I'd ask. What I am looking for are uPVC windows and doors - but I could be convinced to look at other options.

Thanks,
    Barty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

I've been through this recently and sent months checking out the different options. Got all kind of quotes but by far the best was from a company caled Mourne Windows in Co. Down. I paid €5,500 for replacing all windows and doors in light oak PVC. 6 windows, 1 set of french patio doors and 1 front door. Good job, good price.

Thanks Conleth - were all the 6 windows you got installed single windows with double glazing? What I am looking for is one small single window and 2 bay windows (about 3 windows wide - if that makes sense?) and the two doors are just normal doors - ie neither are patio doors. I would like them in white uPVC - mainly because the side windows and rear windows are white uPVC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conleth

Barty 4 of the windows were typical 1 fixed pane and 1 side opener about 4 foot by 4 foot. The living room window was much wider with 1 central fixed pane and two side openers. The bathroom window was not very high, probably 3 foot high by 4 foot wide. All were double glazed with all the usual features - didn't go for the best glass type they were offering, just the standard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

avoid Senator, long delays, rudeness, poor finish, shoddy installation.
    Is that from your own experience, or is that a general comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

delly wrote:
    Is that from your own experience, or is that a general comment?

That's from experience

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That's from experience
    Ah grand, just have to be careful these days, i.e. real life experience which is ok versus unstantiated hearsay which can't be backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I also had a bad experience with Seantor.
    Have had them back more than 5 times about a PVC door and also I was not happy with the workmanship (plaster emptied into my flower beds - twice, window boards cut through, poorly fitted front door)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Barty,

Did you try Grady Ltd in Charlestown, Co. Mayo. They go all over Ireland and have a very good product and service.

We got a quote for:
    PVC Mahogany with WRAP glas.
    1 x Frenchdoors 1400 x 2100
    3 x Fixed windows 1000 x 1500
    3 x double fixed windows 2000 x 1500

€3939.51 incl VAT, delivery and fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

Hi All,

I did my livingroom window and the porch door (I've doubled my entrace door with two french doors plus a letter box in one of them) for 2650 euro, with a guy that was recomended by someone across the road from me, Abbey Crafted Window Systems based in Lucan.
    Out of this 2650 euro , I've paid 340 euro for two small side windows (25cmX35cm) and 75 euro for the georgian insertion for the livingroom window ( I had to pay a deposit of 650 euro).

It was very expensive but I had to do them as soon as possible.

Apart from the fact that the guys were smoking in the house during the instalation, the job was done well and quick.

The pvc white frames are from a company from N. Ireland ( Camden Group) and the glass from an irish company First Glass Limited (strange crowd, they've broken two windows, the second one was to replace the first one, but they replaced them next day).

They did the back of the house of my neighbour (two french doors, one bedroom window, one bathroom window and one kitchen window) for 4500 euro and the whole house of another neighbour for 9500 euro.

Regards,

Mendo

Hi All,
    Thanks for all the info - it's very much appreciated. At the moment I am just looking around - if anyone else can recommend other companies please do (especially if you have got them to do work and they did a good job)

Thanks again,
    Barty

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Barty,
    We got Mahon Windows in Athlone - We got 22 windows and 2 doors for about the 9k mark.
    Very happy with them, they are a black bog oak window.

Advertisement