Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of bad pet shop advice

Options
  • 07-09-2006 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,being a reptile owner myself im disgusted at the advice some pet shop in ireland are giving out when selling these animals,they need special care. Pet shops in Ireland are still selling Lizards on the same day they sell the Vivaruim,the tank needs setting up at least a week before just to get the heat and humidty right depending on repitle. However have found this site for Irish peolple,least it gives people chance to get right advice. http://www.forumsvibe.com/reptiles/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Watching Naked Camera once, guy goes into Paddy's Pet Shop on Parnell St. saying he needs something to guard the house because his dog is gay. The guy in the shop tries to sell him an enormous snake, saying it'll attack any intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

yeah, i think its a disgrace, i went to one pet shop and i keep lots of different royal pythons and know alot about them so i don't know who she was trying to fool. anyway she told me (believe it or not) that all i needed for heating was a 50w bulb that needed to be on for only 2 hours each day or else they would get dehydrated :eek: and thats it. needless to say i was shocked and felt really bad for the diff. reptiles that she was keeping. the government needs some sort of system in place like good inspectores so this can't happen:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Animal welfare laws in this country aren't fit for a pet brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Ill never forget asking a question to a seller in a pet store (Dublin), many years ago, I asked "OK, so what do I need to feed it, how much and how often?"..... I was asking about a simple garter snake!
    I alwready knew but wanted to see if they did as I suspected the owners had'nt a clue.
    I was right, I was told, believe it or not, "Oh just chop a peice of raw chicken, about the size of a dice, and give it to him once a month!"

Reported them immediately, 10 years later, they still have animals for sale and are no better.
    There is a big need for regulation in this country, I even heard recently that the DSPCA now are overrun with reptiles they cannot home!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

B I have no idea of the DSPCA being over run with reptiles - I tried calling once when they had a common boa that needed a home & no one ever answered the phone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Faye,
    Just heard that about 2 weeks ago from a friend who had been told when she visited (she couldnt get an answer on the phone either!).... but it *is* hearsay, so dont go making any big trips till you're sure. Ill try get some info on monday from her. (I am beginning to think they never answer their phones!).

B

Thanks hun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Nala wrote:
    Animal welfare laws in this country aren't fit for a pet brick.

HAH!

I think the worst thing I saw recently was in a pet shop that was selling a 3foot wooden viv with all lights, heat & substrate etc for €300 it came with a FREE nile monitor! There was no mention at how big these lizards get!!! I can just see a heap of niles being up for adoption soon!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I know how you's feel.There's a pet shop in Ballymena Co. Antim that lost its pet shop license.I believe he lost his license because he was keeping terrapins with no water in the tank and a cape cobra in the window of his shop in direct sunlight.I've also been told he also sold a guy a beardie and a water dragon to keep in the same tank.The real disgusting part is he reopened a few months later under a new name,he just put the license in some else's name.

• Advertisement

We actually do not need licences over here.

Advertisement