Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derry PSG Match Live on UK TV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shame on RTE.

A team from our own national league playing in Europe against PSG and our national broadcaster can't cover it, it takes a broadcaster from a foreign jurisdiction to do it.

Well done BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

While...........

For anyone who's interested, Derry City's next European opponents are in action on Setanta Sports this Sunday at 20.00 v Marseille. Should be good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

As discussed elsewhere, BBC's vision of public service broadcasting extends to sport. RTE's clearly doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Is the BBC broadcasting this exclusively live? Where does it say RTÉ will not be covering it also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well if RTE's sterling coverage of previous UEFA cup matches involving irish teams is anything to go by....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

shame on RTÉ?

jesus, be happy that someone is showing it. what makes you think that the BBC didn't outbid RTÉ

similar to how RTÉ have the rights to GAA coverage in Northern Ireland. shame on BBC up there? i don't think so

More ot the fact RTE have shown 0 matches involving any of the UEFA CUP participants from Ireland this year. Hell the last Drogs match was all the many thousands of miles away in Phibsboro. Hard job to send an O/B unit all the way there

Eircom league soccer is not british so its not cool to show. rte only show cool foreign stuff these days like the classy eastenders (which is also on BBC at same time), home and away (which is 12 months behind home and away in australia), english premiership soccer (which is already been beamed into our country via Sky, bbc and itv).

It doesn't make sense to promote Irish soccer because if they did that it may become cool too and more people would watch it and they wouldnt want their ratings going up now would they.

some of you are blowing this out of all proportion. imagine if it was Sky who had the rights? at least the BBC is available on every cable system in the country and free on satellite (unlike RTÉ)
    finnpark wrote:
    english premiership soccer (which is already been beamed into our country via Sky, bbc and itv)

this English premiership soccer being beamed in on Saturdays and 3pm, what UK channels shows us those games?

oh yeah. none of them

This doesnt address the fact that the NATIONAL broadcaster doesnt make any effort to show one of the biggest matches a team in our NATIONAL league. Who knows maybe they will show it but I woudnt hold ones breath. Lord knows I can watch football from the Oman league on their channels. Funny old world.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:

this English premiership soccer being beamed in on Saturdays and 3pm, what UK channels shows us those games?

oh yeah. none of them

Surely you of all people mossy know they cant show the games in the UK due to legal issues.

i know that. i was pointing out that the live soccer on RTÉ is not shown by any English channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

johnos wrote:
    As discussed elsewhere, BBC's vision of public service broadcasting extends to sport. RTE's clearly doesn't.

The Beeb's involvent in sport has been notoriously lax in recent times. No live domestic soccer (in scotland or england apart from FA Cup), no cricket at all, no domestic rugby, no formula 1, no pro boxing, the list goes on. They may thrump up their showpiece events (Wimbledon, British Open, Six Nations) but behind those is lots of mediocre filler.

Okay RTE may have dropped the ball this time, but they offer more in the way of decent sports coverage than the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

dohboy wrote:
    Okay RTE may have dropped the ball this time, but they offer more in the way of decent sports coverage than the BBC.

Their "coverage" of domestic soccer is pathetic.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Their "coverage" of domestic soccer is pathetic.

yes it is. i agree that the Eircom League should get proper coverage but to blast RTÉ because another freely available channel is showing a UEFA Cup tie is wrong imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

Not arguing that. Just pointing out that the BBC isn't exactly a paragon of virtue when it comes to covering it's own national sports. In fact it's pretty poor.

And besides, no one cares about domestic soccer in Ireland except a few nerdy, navel-gazing football mad proles and a scattering of degenerate rustics. Let it rot, I say, let it rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mossy Monk wrote:
    yes it is. i agree that the Eircom League should get proper coverage but to blast RTÉ because another freely available channel is showing a UEFA Cup tie is wrong imo

Its not even that, they didn't show the Derry/Drogheda games in the last round either. Or the round before that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

How anyone can back RTE is beyond me. RTE are our national broadcaster and should be obliged to show the Derry-PSG match.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

dohboy wrote:
    And besides, no one cares about domestic soccer in Ireland except a few nerdy, navel-gazing football mad proles and a scattering of degenerate rustics. Let it rot, I say, let it rot.
    Do I hear a can of worms opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

dohboy banned 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dohboy wrote:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was more disapointed with Setanta Sport when they failed to televise the Drogs/IK Start game, they were showing highlights of French Ligue 1 matches :rolleyes:

2nd Leg Live from France on Setanta Sports

LIVE ON BBC2(NI)
    LIVE ON Canal+Sport(FRA)
    LIVE ON Sport 1(UKR).

Also British Eurosport (UK) are in talks about showing the match live.

Setanta (UK and Ireland) will be showing the 2nd leg live.

FROM www.psg.fr

Brandywell Stadium holds a capacity of 7700 places. Nevertheless, the conditions of safety not being the same ones for the European competitions, this one is brought back to 3 400 places for the match of Thursday. If the PSG espérit to evolve/move in a larger stage, Lansdowne Road of Dublin (32 000 places) for example, the leaders of Derry preferred to maintain the meeting in their cave in order to complicate the task of the Parisian ones. Paris will be able however to count on the support of approximately 400 fans Rouge and Blue. PSG.FR proposes to you to follow as of Wednesday the Parisian ones in Derry through reports and exclusive photographs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just checked the Sky planner and this match is also live on Eurosport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

finnpark wrote:
    is that off the official site? Is it a translation via one of those free websites?

Calling the Brandywell a cave is a bit harsh - its a kip alright (they're looking to get a new uber-stadium built!), but cave? :eek: :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

With regard to RTE not showing this, would there be a conflict of TV rights between BBC Northern Ireland and RTE if both wanted to show it? Or does Northern Ireland fall under UK TV rights?

In all fairness we can't be suprised that RTE are not showing it, just look at there champions league coverage, they only ever show Liverpool or Man Utd matches just for the ratings. They then pick the hype games to show also e.g. Barca vs Chelsea etc...

RTE have turned themselves into a sponsorship driven hooker! Ratings and sponsorship thats all, public service indeed! :rolleyes:

Advertisement