Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband.Gov.Ie gets major overhaul

Options
  • 07-09-2006 3:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

But it does not work in FIREFOX lads.

Still, the mapping location clicky thing is a nice feature and the raw data is FAR more accurate now with bang up to date list of enabled exchanges for example * Wireless coverage is not well done, only DSL and Noels favourite, VSAT , but if the wireless operators provided you with a nice Google earth .kml overlay could ye do something for them ? .

I want you to do two things for me Noel

1. In the interests of The security of the state convert your minions to Firefox for testing your own website with and for reasons of hush hush stuff.

2. Fix the thing, it makes all of us irish webby people look really amateurish.

But progress, undoubtedly .

*Oh! and what happened to UTV Clicksilver lads ?????

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Site doesn't seem bad but its extremely poor that it doesn't work in Firefox!
    Very poor work!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

broadband.gov.ie

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/
    It sort of usable in my Firefox. Tested it in IE and same results:

For wireless it offers BBnet (not available) and
    Doesn't offer Digiweb Metro (which I have) nor IBB 10.5GHz product (which I was offered by IBB)

The other offerings are all satellite.

(oddly IBB Ripwave works here: I have tested from here to Limerick 9km using an MMDS dish to boost the signal. Worked perfect at 200k+ all day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grimly

Sponge Bob wrote:
    But it does not work in FIREFOX lads.

Still knackered in FF and also ****e in its coverage of Wireless providers. It's telling me I can get satellite (whoopeedoo) and pay a minimum of 89.99 pm for the privilege. I know for a fact there's at least 2 wireless providers sprung up near me and I'll be on one of them shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grimly

watty wrote:
    (oddly IBB Ripwave works here: I have tested from here to Limerick 9km using an MMDS dish to boost the signal. Worked perfect at 200k+ all day).

What freq and protocols is ripwave on? 5ghz?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

What a load of sh1te.

A simple postcode database would of done the job IMO.

Its also a pitty they don't mention Metro from Digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The old selector of County / Area was much better. The info for wireless operators is still as bad as it ever was and the DSL exchange list is also wrong for some areas.

Another step backwards for dial-up Dempsey and Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's a total disaster of a site on Safari on Mac OS X too. That's nuts given that 99.9999% of sites seem to work fine on it other than this and eircom.ie !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom probably did do the bb site for Noel, stranger things have happened in there.

whoever did do it is the most unprofessional web developer working in Ireland today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Noel is playing practical jokes on us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sponge Bob wrote:
    eircom probably did do the bb site for Noel, stranger things have happened in there.

whoever did do it is the most unprofessional web developer working in Ireland today :(

You checked the validation also? :)

Madness.

Dempsey loves satellite and IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Map viewer doesn't work in Opera either, as well as page layout all over the place ...:(
    And still nothing but satellite for me ...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 anluainn_ru

map is dead for me and thats in IE 6.0. Another quality release from the dept. of comms. Not that I'm going to learn anything new by the sounds of things...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sparky-s wrote:
    What a load of sh1te.

A simple postcode database would of done the job IMO.
    Its also a pitty they don't mention Metro from Digiweb.

Yes a postcode database would be fantastic but as Ireland have not yet fully rolled out postcodes it would be completely pointless at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

watty wrote:
    broadband.gov.ie

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/
    It sort of usable in my Firefox. Tested it in IE and same results:

Oh noes someone done a bad job on their DNS.... dang dns bandits; Their site is runnin on a Windows box (got a nice sql timeout error and showed the location to their IIS Website Directory).

Dublin are AREA codes, not post codes. There are NO publically released post codes. An Post regards that as commercially sensitiive information that gives them an edge on direct mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

By the way, this is working in Firefox for me, and has since I first noticed the update a couple of weeks ago.

And the www bit in the DNS name annoys me. At least Aer Lingus finally got around to fixing it so that the name that they painted on all their planes actually worked (for a year or two, just typing aerlingus.com into your browser would fail). I'm pretty sure http://broadband.gov.ie/ used to work, and it would only take a few minutes to fix it.

It works in Firefox now. It certainly didn't when I posted. It looked crap TBH .

The DNS issue is still live though. Most advertising in th past for this site is for

http://broadband.gov.ie/ and NOT for http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

Noel, please fix BOTH the web server and the DNS so that http://broadband.gov.ie/ works like you said it does. I'm sick of doing your dopey developers work for him and so I am sure is Foxwood !!!!

Also populate it with the wireless carriers PLEASE !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Foxwood wrote:
    By the way, this is working in Firefox for me, and has since I first noticed the update a couple of weeks ago.

Worked fine for me and others on Firefox from the start too.

Plenty of web dev experts giving their opinions on how to do this website right. I expect you'll have worked together as a team and will have a built a better version of this within a few weeks then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Oh, I have the oppertunity for you all to do that work.. *cough*

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Noel, please fix BOTH the web server and the DNS so that http://broadband.gov.ie/ works like you said it does.
    wow that was fairly quick, fixed it is. Thanks Noel. :D
    Also populate it with the wireless carriers PLEASE !!!
    Only live issue now but I am throwing this back to the operators themselves.

Site looks good , has pretty definitive content at last and works , maybe a tool tip linked to the cursor to tell you what to do next if ye feel like enhancing it ???

• Advertisement

Its nice that they read boards and listen to feedback when their site fails to work in Firefox :)

Now if they listed your latitude & Longitude* THAT would be handy for the setting up of VSAT, USALS and ringing up Wireless Operators to ask about coverage..

Or even create a kmz :)

It is perfect now. No formatting errors in Firefox now.

(*More useful than the more modern Irish Grid Reference of either kind)

you got those horrible 'table' formatting errors too Watty did you ??? , some posters have inferred there were no formatting errors in Firefox at all but I assures all that there was. Otherwise I would not have started a thread to get them fixed would I ???

Actually it is intreging...

I think I'm close enough to get ADSL from Raheen exchange (Even BT LLU there). But the village has its own "digital" exchange that I can't even get ISDN on.

About 500m outside village toward Raheen all the ADSL suppliers pop up :)

No IBB or Digiweb Wireless listed, even at Raheen. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I'm sick of doing your dopey developers work for him and so I am sure is Foxwood !!!!
    !

where do you send the invoice for consultancy fees ?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you got those horrible 'table' formatting errors too Watty did you ??? , some posters have inferred there were no formatting errors in Firefox at all but I assures all that there was. Otherwise I would not have started a thread to get them fixed would I ???

No it was strange. One of the titles tranparently on middle of page instead of top. The map bit worked fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

It's a rubbish site anyway. When I put in my location, it gives a list of 6 or 7 DSL providers, none of which can supply me with service because of distance from the exchange and yet it doesn't give the name of the one wireless suppliuer covering the area notwithstanding the fact that they ahev been funded under the Department's GBS! Typical.

watty wrote:
    No IBB or Digiweb Wireless listed, even at Raheen. Odd.

Not odd at all, the WISPs have not told the DCMNR where their coverage is ....with a few exceptions . Now the governments site works nicely for the first time EVER I think they should extend Noel the courtesy of keeping his data up to date.

All those VSAT operators make us look bad....as a country that is .

Vodafone 3g and O2 3g are also unavailable where they should be shown . HSDPA is wireless internet .

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

damien.m wrote:
    Worked fine for me and others on Firefox from the start too.

Plenty of web dev experts giving their opinions on how to do this website right. I expect you'll have worked together as a team and will have a built a better version of this within a few weeks then?

Sounds like you have a Plan Damien :), get me a sql database and some monkeys and you never know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The site was working fine for me in firefox last Sunday, apart from some minor glitches.

The accuracy of the map almost dovetails with what I know about broadband availability in my area. Only Net1 are missing on the coverage map, but they have their own one here. I have to say, it is so accurate that it's basically confirming the existence of a detailed coverage map for DSL as opposed to mere statistics and percentages.

It gets my thumbs up, despite the fact that there are no DSL providers within a mile of me.

Advertisement