Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi though USB1.1

• 07-09-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting a wifi usb dongle for an old p3 laptop. I'm wondering if I'll have enough bandwidth to stream live video with it. I'm talking standard avi's and divx files. I heard somewhere that you'd need at least 8mbit/sec to fully stream a DVD.

So considering a 54mb/s wifi card (lets say 24mb/s at a software level) and USB 1.1 is said to have a max transfer of 12mbit/sec so I'm sure I'd have enough. Has anyone tried this? I don't want to waste money on the dongle if it wouldn't be fast enough

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is there no PCMCIA slot you can use for the Wifi card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to wireless forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

PCMCIA would give you anywhere from 66 to 122 Mbps (depending on how old the card is your using and data encapsulation it implements).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

There's something wrong with it, its not working at all! I thought it would be handy to use the laptop as a kind of media center, seen as the rest of it is grand, but I don't want to have to bring an ethernet cable from the wifi router upstairs to the front room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Well, I'm using a P2 laptop as a sort of smoothwall sharing the connection between all my other machines, through a USB 1 wireless network adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Deadly, so it would be good enough? Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Zapho wrote:
    Deadly, so it would be good enough? Thanks for the help
    Well, its good enough for me. The max speed I got out of it running Majestic12 (see sig) was 1.5-2 Mbps. Now unless you want to run gigabit stuff ove a lan, 1.5-2 should be good enough for Broadband etc. Hell, I even streamed an episode of lost across my own network into WMP10 on that laptop from my main rig. Ran perfectly. ;)

EDIT: i just re read your opening post. When you think about it what the max throughput of USB 1? About 1Megabyte per second. Multiply by 8 and you have your max Megabits per second. Around 8Mbps.

Advertisement