Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth messaging - URGENT

Options
  • 07-09-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone knows how to send a message to a bluetooth device so that i can then send on this message as a text message to a mobile phone in java....
    Would really appreciate some help!
    Thanks,
    Pam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

pamegan wrote:
    Was just wondering if anyone knows how to send a message to a bluetooth device so that i can then send on this message as a text message to a mobile phone in java....
    Let me get this straight, a message is sent to a Bluetooth enabled device, which in turn relays it (using Java) to a mobile?

Off the top of my head, the simplest solution would be a PC with a Bluetooth key or equivalent as the ‘device’. This would typically mean that incoming messages would be written as text files when received and could then be opened and read using your Java app. After this you could relay (via SMS) them either through a direct connection to a GSM modem or a HTTP connection to a third party provider (or even deep linking into one of the operators free Web services).

Using a phone rather than a PC would be considerably trickier, and TBH I don’t know if you could do it with Java, as J2ME would not allow you to read incoming messages, let alone send them. There a Symbian or Pocket PC based application might be your only option.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pamegan

Thanks for that, was originally going to use javax.comm but no serial port on my laptop so that idea went out the window!!!

Hopefully i will get something working!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamjam42

Not sure if your doing what i think you are but,

I use an apple mac with a blue tooth nokia and i can send a recice text files no problem, but im not to sure about on a pc.

Advertisement