Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google searching within Flash

Options
  • 07-09-2006 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Since when did Google start searching within Flash.swf files? I just did a search and found a hyperlink to my site that I had put inside a .swf file on someone elses site. The google result gives the result as it does with PDFs - ie [FLASH] result link::

Has this been going on for a while and I'm out of touch or is it a new thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nah, its been happening a while, AFAIK. Pretty popular interview about it here.

Flash developers, don't get too excited. It only indexes full URLs (iirc) so it still won't be able to index your entirely Flash built site properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

can google index xml files? if it can then flashers can use xml to store content and for menu purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Flash developers, don't get too excited.
    Bet you loved typing that!

Interesting though, I've never seen a flash result on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

can google index xml files? if it can then flashers can use xml to store content and for menu purposes

Yep, there's a specific format that they can index:
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/protocol.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

My mate Anthony is a fairly well learned conduit for information pertaining to Flash content visiblility (and particularly accessibility) so he'd be worth contacting if you want to know more about the extensibility of Flash on the wider web... and he's very approachable - http://www.cisnky.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement