Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contract up with Three - Any suggestions what I should do?

• 07-09-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

As title suggests contract up in couple of weeks.

Found service good and price plan seemed good value too.
    No on line texting though and can't check balance or anything else online either.
    Also can't use sim in my other phone which is not 3g.

Just rang three and asked them what Nokia phones I would get discount on
    6280 - €99
    N70 - €189
    N80 - €329

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

My advice?
    Run, boy run....

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

mayhem# wrote:
    My advice?
    Run, boy run....

E.

Why do you say that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sneachta wrote:
    Why do you say that?

Because he is having problems with Three at the moment and as such he's going to be very biased.

I';m with Three since Dec and I'm thinking of switching to 3pay when my contract is up, I suppose I;'ll see what they'll over me.

I'm curious what phone you have at the moment?
    Also what price plan are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Cabaal wrote:
    Because he is having problems with Three at the moment and as such he's going to be very biased.

I';m with Three since Dec and I'm thinking of switching to 3pay when my contract is up, I suppose I;'ll see what they'll over me.

I'm curious what phone you have at the moment?
    Also what price plan are you on?

I have the 6680 and I am on the €25 deal for 200 minutes a month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sneachta wrote:
    I have the 6680 and I am on the €25 deal for 200 minutes a month.

Hmm ok so....you should be paying
    6280 - 179 (you were offered €99)
    N70 - 229 (you were offered €189)
    N80 - 399 (you were offered €329)

If the N70 is anything like the 6680 size wise (which I also have) then I'd keep away from it and instead go for the 6280, friend of mine has it and its pretty nice and you'd be getting it for a good price.

Although the N80 would be really nice its far too expensive imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

If N80. I would consider sim free for resale value. Get a 6280 or N70 and sell it immediately as well as your old model to finance a sim free N80 or such. Little bit long winded maybe but better resale value on the sim free model down the line.
    N80 is not subsidised heavily by the looks of it thru Three.
    jus me 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

3 phones have little resale value as they are all locked and difficult to get unlocked.

I'd go for the N70 as it's a great S60 phone. 6280 is alright. Nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Sneachta wrote:
    As title suggests contract up in couple of weeks.

Found service good and price plan seemed good value too.
    No on line texting though and can't check balance or anything else online either.
    Also can't use sim in my other phone which is not 3g.

Just rang three and asked them what Nokia phones I would get discount on
    6280 - €99
    N70 - €189
    N80 - €329

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

N70 or N80, both are Symbian Series 60 (N80 S60 R3), 6280 is Symbian Series 40, so far less applications.

However unless Three change, you wont be able to unlock them when your contact is up.

Perhaps go into one of their stores and look at the various phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ron Burgundy

hold off for another few weeks the christmas battle will begin soon, better offers and hopefully price plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The N73 should be coming out soon enough as well, my prediction either late Sept or mid Oct. It is IMHO a much better phone then the N80, the only big difference is that the N73 lacks WiFi which isnt an issue for most people.
    That is being priced on 3's upgrade at €179 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I'm with 3, contract up in november but I think I am back to Meteor or O2 after primarily due to the fact my phone EATS battery, and on top of that the fact that the service is just not that good - Multiple SMS deliveries, poor 2G coverage, poor roaming availablity, wall-gardened network (even the current 'internet sites' offering) just not happy.

Meteor and O2 both cost me alot less and I had zero problems ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

My contract is up with 3 aswell. I think myself in the initial stages they had problems like every new company has. I think i will change to meteor anytime as the battery in 3g phones suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's not a faultless service for sure, but I can't think of anything cheaper particularly when the UK calling and roaming deal is taken into consideration. Meteor is not an option for me as I have experienced significant gaps in their rural coverage and that's not acceptable to me and I hate pre-paying.

While 3's walled garden crap is just that, a nice thing is that you can access the internet stuff when roaming for the same price as here if you're on a 3 network. I sat at an airport in Italy the other day and could browse away for free for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

IMHO, O2 prepay is very good value, mainly due to the fact that they offer i-mode (which is great for email on your phone), and that you can choose your off-peak call times, so 90% of the time you're calling at off-peak rates... about 15cents per minute. They also often run promotions and good deals like 1c DVD's all summer, 1c O2-to-O2 calls, 59c roaming even in the US, etc.

Best customer service as well (Meteor have the worst customer service I've ever come across, though I've never been a 3 customer).

IMHO, O2 prepay is very good value, mainly due to the fact that they offer i-mode (which is great for email on your phone), and that you can choose your off-peak call times, so 90% of the time you're calling at off-peak rates... about 15cents per minute. They also often run promotions and good deals like 1c DVD's all summer, 1c O2-to-O2 calls, 59c roaming even in the US, etc.
    Unfortunately its not for me. All my family are on Vodafone so its 63c per minute to call them...

Since my contract is up in November I decided I'd call them today and see what offers they could give me..more so want to know how much they'll give me the K800i for :)

Unfortuntaly it appears they can't tell me untill November because the discount goes on your last three months bills which is a shame as I've started choosing my provider now.

Abit concerned about trying to get my 6680 unlocked as I've yet to hear of anybody succesfully getting a unlock code from Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Karsini wrote:
    Unfortunately its not for me. All my family are on Vodafone so its 63c per minute to call them...

I pay 19c per minute to call Vodafone from my O2 prepay phone from 2am until 6pm (basically all day long), and 12c per minute at the weekends.

However if you're calling them a lot, you might want to get Vodafone 400. It's not cheap (69 euros a month), but it includes 400 minutes to other networks and UNLIMITED free Vodafone-to-Vodafone calls "for life".

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Think its worth waiting until close to xmas to see what offers are out there.
    Is there really no way to get 6680 unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cabaal wrote:
    Since my contract is up in November I decided I'd call them today and see what offers they could give me..more so want to know how much they'll give me the K800i for :)

Unfortuntaly it appears they can't tell me untill November because the discount goes on your last three months bills which is a shame as I've started choosing my provider now.

Abit concerned about trying to get my 6680 unlocked as I've yet to hear of anybody succesfully getting a unlock code from Three.
    they won't do it. they're still pretending they don't have codes for it. they're trying to make us believe that although nokia put the lock on at their request, they have no idea how to take it off. they'll send you out a different phone that they've admitted to being able to unlock

the phone they'll send you out will be of lesser value. also, it'll be "refurbished" i.e. previously faulty, and they'll still lie to you and fob you off and make you wait a month for the unlock code. they won't give it to you when they're arranging for it to be delivered, you have to wait a week for it to be delivered and then phone them back and then they "send off" for the unlock code which apparently takes another three weeks. the fourth person i talked to about it walked across the room and generated the code on the software that the other three people told me they didn't have

• Advertisement

"make you wait a month for the unlock code. happened to me"

Unlock code for replacement phone or 6680?
    Did you get it unlocked in the end or not?

the fourth person i talked to about it walked across the room and generated the code on the software that the other three people told me they didn't have

So they do have the ability to generate codes and their lieing outright about it?
    Oh thats lovely, anyone gone to comreg about this yet?

If they do have the ability to gen codes, I'm curious what phone you have?

Advertisement