Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for portable machine.

• 07-09-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for a small, portable laptop, around a 12" screen or whatever people would reccomend? Not sure on budget yet, want to get a feel for what's availible. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

There is a great deal going on Dell.ie. An Inspiron 640M. 100 euro off, free double memory (1GB-2GB) and free shipping. You wont get a better deal than that on a 14" laptop. Im getting one myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

MACBOOK...starts at €1052 with a student discount on apple.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Beware, macbooks run pretty hot and apple have just admitted that they are prone to overheating and shutting down (believed to be linked to a poorly designed cable that expands under heat, being too short this causes problems).

I think you can remedy some of the heat issues by reapplying the thermal compound properly (requires a tube of AS5 and some patience).

Ive read reviews that under load the core duo runs into the 70 (Celsius), although its design specs say it is safe up to 100C. Ok for the laptop, bad for your lap (and future children, if male).

EDIT: I too am thinking about the Dell 640m, sure it aint perfect, but it runs cool and quiet. Go to Ars Technica for some good reviews on both the Macbook and the Dell Inspiron 640m

i ordered a macbook, i hate the look of those dells with the buttons on the front...also Macbook was cheapest for the specs I needed. I'm awaiting it's delivery! I'm so excited, my first mac :D

Fairn enough, im not saying go with Dell because i am some kind of Dell-lover (such a thing does not exist) but the facts all indicate that apple have been liberal in their application of thermal paste to achieve more silent machines at the cost of temperature, and potentially system stability.

Go to any Mac forum, it is something any potential buyer should be aware of. I was considering a macbook until i read about this.

• Advertisement

I read about it and decided to take the plunge anyway. They've solved the heat problem with new firmware, it was just released in mid August. Supposedly it's nothing to do with the thermal paste either...I can't exactly remember the full story but I remember a lack of thermal paste being ruled out

Sounds cool, will u tell me how it goes? im on the notebook hunt and am tempted by a macbook, most reviews are quite favorable

Advertisement