Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiot in Moxy truck between Clane and Barberstown this morning.

Options
  • 07-09-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Did anyone spot that idiot in the big yellow Moxy truck this morning. Waddling along at 25MPH. About 30 cars trying to pass him too, but I made it. This guy obviously had no mirrors or neck to look around and see a carpark behind him. And of course there is always an idiot behind him, too scared to overtake, making it harder for the rest of us to overtake anything.

I thought my morning could not get any worse, but yes it did. 2 assholes on mini tippers(between Barberstown & Maynooth) cruising along at a steady (wait for it) 30MPH. One of them stopped dead on the road, and had a conversation with his mates. Gob****e. Sure of course i lost the head and buried my hand in the horn, and rightly so.

Yes i know they are working on this road, and I should expect some construction traffic, but surely they should not be aloud on the public roads at rush-hour/peak times. Most of these vehicels have insufficient lighting, lack of or no reg plate and without tax disc or insurance disc. Furthermore, I'd bet a you all that the driver of these construction vehicels are not carrying a licence.

I'm sure some of these heavy vehicals are the common reason for our depleting quality roads. Of which they probably don't have road tax.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Not stirring sh!t or anything, but most of that construction traffic cannot move much faster than 30mph, secondly if he had no mirrors, hed be doing very well to see behind him considering there is a big yellow bin on the back of it.
    As far as I know, you are covered to drive one with a W licence(open to correction), and if they are working on the road then thats the site so they dont need insurance disc or tax(technically, they could have arrived on a low loader).
    However I have to agree with your rant about people being to scared to overtake machinery, its just stupid, and can cause accidents, because you have people trying to overtake 6 or 7 or more cars at a go!
    But unfortunately, like you people are only trying to do there jobs, and just because it inconviences you doesnt mean that they should work different hours, because then it may be inconveniencing someone else or themselves.
    Basically, theres nothing can be done bout it.

And as for your sig, yes they can inconvenience others and they do have a headlight effect, but if they angle them lower, they are of very little use, as they will not clear much of the bonets view on the road.
    I get the feeling you enjoy giving out about roads and other road users, you probly suffer from high blood pressure too after most journeys, and its never your fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I have to say that I too find it very annoying when drivers of tractors, combines, dumpers, JCB's, etc etc allow a huge build-up of vehicles behind them. They should pull over for a minute (as soon as they find a suitable place to do so) and allow cars to pass by.
    It's not like years ago when there was a lot less traffic on the roads - nowadays a big line of traffic can build up in a matter of minutes.

In most EU countries drivers of slow vehicles MUST (by law) pull over when there is more than c.5 vehicles behind them

Having said that, drivers of slow vehicles in Ireland who allow a large build-up of traffic behind them CAN also be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention (A member of the Traffic Corps told me this!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Silvera wrote:
    It's not like years ago when there was a lot less traffic on the roads - nowadays a big line of traffic can build up in a matter of minutes.

thats the problem i think, the drivers of these vechicles would find themselves pulling in every 2 or 3 minutes on some roads which considering the slow and cumbersome nature of there vechilces would considerably increase there travel time, i think the drivers who dont over take them when a clear chance is presented are much more of a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

and if they are working on the road then thats the site so they dont need insurance disc or tax
    But in the OPs case he was driving his car on a public road when he became stuck behind the machinery. So the machinery was on the same part of the public road as the normal traffic. AFAIC all motorised vehicles on a public road should be registered taxed and insured. I doubt the fact that there was construction going on on that particular stretch of road would make any difference to these requirements.

I started a thread about tractors and other machinery on the road a few weeks back in the Commuting/Transport forum but with the messed up search I can't find it now. If anyone can find it it is quite a good (if heated at times :)) thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I agree with the slow moving vehicles being frustrating when you're behind them but I absolutely loath people like you who haven't the slightest bit of patience and are desperate to overtake any "inconveniences", often very dangerously. I sure hope to god you didn't overtake any other cars to get around the moxy tuck. I've seen it so many times - madness.

Do you drive a beamer? God forbid you get in their way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MivecSocky

And of course there is always an idiot behind him, too scared to overtake, making it harder for the rest of us to overtake anything.

I know what your on about with 20 cars stuck behind a truck but as has been said often the trucks are loaded and cant go over a certain speed safely, yes they should pull over but remember that under the new system you cant use the hard shoulder (2 points).
    As for muppets behind the truck being scared to overtake thats easy for you to say and you 5 cars back, you can see the road ahead, nothing worse than being the car behind the truck, not being able to see whats coming and forty eijits behind you wanting to be the big man overtaking everyone..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MivecSocky wrote:
    I know what your on about with 20 cars stuck behind a truck but as has been said often the trucks are loaded and cant go over a certain speed safely, yes they should pull over but remember that under the new system you cant use the hard shoulder (2 points).
    I believe the new system is about "Driving on the hard shoulder on a motorway".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

MivecSocky wrote:
    and forty eijits behind you wanting to be the big man overtaking everyone..

Of course they want to overtake, do you think they want to sit at construction traffic speed, hell no. They want to get on with their lives. Also, overtaking isn't wrong, if it gets me ahead of slow moving traffic I'll do it, just like on a motorway in the overtaking lane

Elessar wrote:
    but I absolutely loath people like you who haven't the slightest bit of patience and are desperate to overtake any "inconveniences", often very dangerously. I sure hope to god you didn't overtake any other cars to get around the moxy tuck. I've seen it so many times - madness.

Patience I have, but when some of us are travelling to work, being unnecessarily late is not an option.

Also, I'm not desperate to overtake "inconveniences". Traffic flow should be at a steady, safe speed, not at a snails pace, which infact is more dangerous. People will overtake, and blood pressures will rise.

Elessar wrote:
    I sure hope to god you didn't overtake any other cars to get around the moxy tuck. I've seen it so many times - madness.

Yes I did actually, it's not against the law. I didn't break the speed limit 80Kph, and it was over a broken white line.
    Elessar wrote:

No I don't, but i fail to see the relevence of this comment. Actually it's very rarely a car overtakes me, and if they do, they would be breaking the law. If a limit is 100kph I stick to it, if it's 50kph i stick to it. I drive to the maximum of the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

God almighty. When I used work for contractor i always got the same grief. Answer me these questions will you neuromancer...
    1) If he had the safety ticket etc to drive this vehicle why shouldnt he drive it.
    2) Would you prefere them not to be on the roads and have even worse roads than already?
    3) These vehicles arent able to go any faster
    4) Why should he have to pull in? He is working and therefore needs to drive the moxy. Cant really do much if hes pulling in every time something comes behing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Signpost wrote:
    4) Why should he have to pull in? He is working and therefore needs to drive the moxy. Cant really do much if hes pulling in every time something comes behing him.

It's a matter of simple courtesy to other road users who share the road. If we all went out with an attitude of "well I own the road" then the place would be a disaster. I agree with OP, the road is a shared resource and drivers of ultra slow vehicles should be forced to offer consideration for other road users if they don't want to show it naturally.

If you've ever driven the Glendalough road you'll know how much you wish for a set of rockets on the front of the car. There is always some muppet doing 25 mph with half the world behind him.

Its not by choice he is doing 30km. The gears will only let him do that. God rest assured ever person who ever drove them wishes they had another 4 gears by alas they dont! If he was to pull in for everyone on a busy road there would be no work done at all and then we'd be reading a post on "idiot moxy driver letting cars pass him rather than fix the roads"

Signpost wrote:
    1) If he had the safety ticket etc to drive this vehicle why shouldnt he drive it.

Safety yes, courtesy no. If he isn't aware of traffic around him, he shouldn't really be on the road. If he looked in his mirrors he would see the tailback. No mirrors, not road legal.
    Signpost wrote:
    2) Would you prefere them not to be on the roads and have even worse roads than already?

Yes i would prefer them not on our roads. If anything they make the roads worse, our roads are not designed for construction vehicals like this. They should be on a construction site. The R403 is not a construction site.
    Signpost wrote:
    3) These vehicles arent able to go any faster

Not able to go any faster, he should have kept to the left, which he could have and didn't. To allow for faster moving vehicals.

Signpost wrote:

Courtesy. One or two cars behind him ain't so bad, a tailback of 15-20 cars is a problem, it's bordering on traffic jam.

Signpost wrote:
    then we'd be reading a post on "idiot moxy driver letting cars pass him rather than fix the roads"

Very doubtful. Unless you create one to make a point, which it wont.

I like your recent Thread on Road tax by the way, interesting subject.

I accecpt your points neuromancer. If there was a laneway to keep into he should have kept in. Thats what we were always informed to do but please people understand these people have to be on the road. There is no other way to do the work. Granted tractors and dumptrailers could do the work but they would take longer due to smaller trailers and effect traffic for longer periods. Also disagree on damaging the roads. Due to new law they cant exceed weights of a certain capacity and this is closly monitored by the guards. Sorry for attack but having being in this situation (motorists physically making you stop the vehicle to talk pure b****x to ya about it) i can see his standing point but I do agree with you giving out if he could but didnt keep in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I am a bit surprised but really delighted to see so many level headed people here with regard to slow moving Construction \ Agricultural traffic.

1) There is eff all they can do. There vehicles are slow. They cannot make them any faster.

2) NO they cannot pull into the side of tha road for every Tom Dick and Harry who is in such an unmerciful hurry for work that if they don't get past them their heads will quite simple EXPLODE....!!!! If they did that.... they would spend their whole time sitting on the side of the road because there are an awful lot of neuromancers who are just so important that their time quite simply cannot be wasted staring at the back of a truck.

3) "Patience I have, but when some of us are travelling to work, being unnecessarily late is not an option. "

If being on time is so important why don't you leave on time. If I have to be somewhere that is normally 2 hours away, and it is so important that being unnecessarily late is not an option, then I'd leave an extra 30 minutes. Maybe....just in case.... I get stuck behind a truck or something like that.....

4) And one last thing....
    "Most of these vehicels have insufficient lighting, lack of or no reg plate and without tax disc or insurance disc."

Utter Utter Utter bull crap. Just because you are feeling sorry for yourself because you didn't leave for work on time, there is no need whatsoever to make up lies.

The people driving these machines aren't out for a burn. They're not out for a Summers day drive. They are working. And they have as much right to be on the road as some moron who thinks the world will end if he doesn't get his Frappachino in the office before 8 am.

My thoughts aswell BnA but in defence to neuromancer original message there was a place for the driver to keep in but didnt. here i disagree with his driving practices but apart from that well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I remember when they were working on the Nangor road bus lanes, they would stop the traffic in both directions at peak morning times to allow a gravel truck to reverse and tip his load (i know), and drive off again. At times the truck would be required to be at right angles to the path, and at the time the road wasn't as wide as it is now, so this procedure could take a good few minutes.
    The result was that literally hunderds of cars would suffer major conjestion for ages afterwards, such is the nature of traffic movements.
    I could never understand how this was allowed to happen. Hundreds of people being delayed by 5/10 minutes each, versus one truck waiting 1 hour at most, until the main rush had gone.

Bloody ridiculous. I actually since learned that most road construction projects planning permission states that they will not obstruct the traffic during designated times.

BnA wrote:
    I am a bit surprised but really delighted to see so many level headed people here with regard to slow moving Construction \ Agricultural traffic.

1) There is eff all they can do. There vehicles are slow. They cannot make them any faster.

3) "Patience I have, but when some of us are travelling to work, being unnecessarily late is not an option. "

If being on time is so important why don't you leave on time. If I have to be somewhere that is normally 2 hours away, and it is so important that being unnecessarily late is not an option, then I'd leave an extra 30 minutes. Maybe....just in case.... I get stuck behind a truck or something like that.....

4) And one last thing....
    "Most of these vehicels have insufficient lighting, lack of or no reg plate and without tax disc or insurance disc."

Utter Utter Utter bull crap. Just because you are feeling sorry for yourself because you didn't leave for work on time, there is no need whatsoever to make up lies.

some moron who thinks the world will end if he doesn't get his Frappachino in the office before 8 am.

1. Would it be too much trouble for them to move over, probably not. If I had to drive slow because i had a slow puncture I would move over. There is a thing called courtesy.

3. I did leave on time. It makes no sence for me to leave 30 minutes earlier for work, if it's 25 minutes away. I don't get paid to sit in work for 30 minutes because i'm early. Slow moving vehicals are an unnessary traffic problem, they are not a solution to traffic managment.

Lies, really, and your basing this on what fact. They are usually covering in muck and dirt. The indicators are sometimes broken. The reg plate is behind the front axel wheels or covered in muck or on the back of the cab which is out of site due to the size of the tipper it has. THIS IS FACT.

Utter Utter Utter bull crap. I don't think the world will end. i don't drink Frappachino and I don't work in an office.

lol no need to rip each others heads off. Its a discuccion not a massive attack session! I have seen vehicles that have been in totall disrepair, broken lights, dirty etc etc but then I know a lot of companys where you must wash your machine every evening and have it in 100% road worth condition. I drove machines on the road long enough and i can safely say i never drove without all my lights, flashers and obeying all rules governing the vechicle on the road. I'm almost positive aswell that if there on site there obliged to have all lights and safety equipment working properly. correct me if im wrong thou. I have also seen cars on the road aswell thou in brutal condition where they are so dirty cant see plates, broekn & non working lights etc... not just work vechicles coming off sites.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with you on your points.

Lies, really, and your basing this on what fact. They are usually covering in muck and dirt. The indicators are sometimes broken. The reg plate is behind the front axel wheels or covered in muck or on the back of the cab which is out of site due to the size of the tipper it has. THIS IS FACT.

So now you are saying that....Indicators are sometimes broken and the reg plate is sometimes hard to see.....

Lets compare that to your original point....

"Most of these vehicels have insufficient lighting, lack of or no reg plate and without tax disc or insurance disc. Furthermore, I'd bet a you all that the driver of these construction vehicels are not carrying a licence. "

MOST of them have, insuffient lighting....lack of or NO reg plate and without tax or insurance disc....?

I will tell you this

MOST of them have plenty suffient lighting.

MOST of them have 2 Reg plates that are well visible.

As for tax and insurance and Licence....? Are you mad.....?????? I'm sure there are one or two chancers out there but the amount of time these vehicles are stopped and checked, they most certainly are NOT driving around without Tax and Insurance and Licences.

As for...."I'm sure some of these heavy vehicles are the common reason for our depleting quality roads. Of which they probably don't have road tax."

What kind of an idiotic comment is this....? These vehicles are the common reason for our depleting roads....!!!!!... These vehicles...which are being used to build our roads..... are the common reason for our depleting roads....!!!!!!!!! What do you expect them to do.....????? Fly in with the stuff in a freakin' helicopter.....!!!!! I'd like to see what our road tax will be when we have 50 helicoptors working on the Ennis By Pass....????

Look...

If there is a hard shoulder that they could be driving in..... Then they should be in it.

But just because you were caught behind one fro a few minutes this morning, there was no call at all for your comments. Insinuating that practically all of them are illegally on the road and that they should all get off the road during rush hour were just ridiculous.

As for tax and insurance and Licence....? Are you mad.....?????? I'm sure there are one or two chancers out there but the amount of time these vehicles are stopped and checked, they most certainly are NOT driving around without Tax and Insurance and Licences.

Really, and you know this how, by checking everyone of them? I rarely see discs in their windows.

As for...."I'm sure some of these heavy vehicles are the common reason for our depleting quality roads. Of which they probably don't have road tax."

What kind of an idiotic comment is this....? These vehicles are the common reason for our depleting roads....!!!!!... These vehicles...which are being used to build our roads..... are the common reason for our depleting roads....!!!!!!!!!

You just proved me right with this comment.

What do you expect them to do.....????? Fly in with the stuff in a freakin' helicopter.....!!!!! I'd like to see what our road tax will be when we have 50 helicoptors working on the Ennis By Pass....????

They don't use Moxy trucks to tar our roads or lay chippings, do they?

For traffic reasons I think they should not be allowed on the road at peak-times.

Also, judging by your location you have never been on the route that I mentioned in the OP. So, you clearly have no grounds for an attack on me. You were not there and do not know what happened.

Really, and you know this how, by checking everyone of them? I rarely see discs in their windows.

Hey... You are the one making the accusation. You have clearly said in black and white that MOST of them are insuffiently lit up, have NO number plates and are NOT Taxed and Insured and driven by unlicenced drivers ? And then you claim that this is FACT. Well what are you basing your FACTs on ?

You just proved me right with this comment. ?

Did I ? I must have missed that.

They don't use Moxy trucks to tar our roads or lay chippings, do they?

So you have never seen a Moxy working on a road ? And even if you haven't I still don't see how the hell you could be blaming them for the state of the roads. That's just childish.

For traffic reasons I think they should not be allowed on the road at peak-times.

That's crap. What's peak times ? Maybe 7 to 9.30 in the morning and 4:30 to 7 in the evening. That is a good 5 hours out of a working day that you expect these machines to be parked up because you couldn't be bothered leaving on time for work. Do you have any idea how much these machines cost to buy, tax and insure. (Not that tax and insurance matters I suppose as most of them don't bother with that apparently...!!!!) . Jezzzas H, it takes long enough to get something built in this county. If we had to work by your hours, they'd still be working on the Port Laois By Pass...

Also, judging by your location you have never been on the route that I mentioned in the OP. So, you clearly have no grounds for an attack on me. You were not there and do not know what happened.

1) I'm not attacking you. I'm just pointing out that some of your FACTS are in fact...not FACTS at all

2) I really don't see why I would have to have travelled the road to understand the situation.

Look, as far as I see it, it's as simple as this.

You were stuck behind a truck this morning for a few minutes.

Being an impatient type and having such an utterly importat job you felt the need not to wait your turn to pass him out and had to skip the queue.

Having got to your oh so important job, you begin whittling the day away on Boards.ie and you start it all off with an attack on all Moxy Drivers because you took a dislike to one this morning.

Do I really need to go to Clane to understand that....?

i do agree with BnA that these machines cost about €70 per hour to hire so big money business.
    Have to be taxed and insured to have a safety cert so can gurantee 99% of them are insured and taxed.
    they do not lay chips or tar but have you ever seen one of them draw away soil etc to make the road in the first place? without them there would be no need for tar and chip machines because be no road to lay them on.
    However BNA i feel you were unjustified in saying he should leave for work early. Not going to meet this sort of obstruction every day so no need. just unfortunate that you met one this particular morning.

BnA wrote:
    I will tell you this

MOST of them have plenty sufficient lighting.

MOST of them have 2 Reg plates that are well visible.

As for tax and insurance and Licence....? Are you mad.....?????? I'm sure there are one or two chancers out there but the amount of time these vehicles are stopped and checked, they most certainly are NOT driving around without Tax and Insurance and Licences .

You wrote this first and it’s just opinion. Maybe I wrote things that were my opinion, but you wrote this as opinion, no fact.
    BnA wrote:
    So you have never seen a Moxy working on a road? And even if you haven't I still don't see how the hell you could be blaming them for the state of the roads.

Nope. I can see that a Moxy with a 60ton capacity is going to cause more damage than a transit van.
    BnA wrote:
    That's crap. What's peak times? Maybe 7 to 9.30 in the morning and 4:30 to 7 in the evening. That is a good 5 hours out of a working day that you expect these machines to be parked up because you couldn't be bothered leaving on time for work. Do you have any idea how much these machines cost to buy, tax and insure. (Not that tax and insurance matters I suppose as most of them don't bother with that apparently...!!!!) . Jezzzas H, it takes long enough to get something built in this county. If we had to work by your hours, they'd still be working on the Port Laois By Pass... .

5 hours of a working day that they would sit up. There are more than 5 hours in a day. Maybe all construction work should be at night-time, where the workers could get a shift premium for working unsociable hours. Also, they might find it easier with less traffic for them to hold up.
    BnA wrote:
    Being an impatient type and having such an utterly importat job you felt the need not to wait your turn to pass him out and had to skip the queue.

Oh, so no-ones job is important except the slow driver in front, so we should all just sit behind him like sheep. A queue in which he created. Don’t think so
    BnA wrote:
    Having got to your oh so important job, you begin whittling the day away on Boards.ie and you start it all off with an attack on all Moxy Drivers because you took a dislike to one this morning.

I typed it at home on my break. No attack on all Moxy drivers, just my annoyance of one yesterday morning. I’m sure there are more, and I’m sure there are decent courteous drivers too.
    BnA wrote:
    Do I really need to go to Clane to understand that....?

I’m sure there are more of them around than just Clane.

You wrote this first and it’s just opinion. Maybe I wrote things that were my opinion, but you wrote this as opinion, no fact.

Nope. I can see that a Moxy with a 60ton capacity is going to cause more damage than a transit van.

This is totally untrue!!!! They cannot carry their full load on public roads! Their is very severe penalties for doing so so i can gurantee that no one chances doing it!!! Please have facts right both parties if ere going to insist going tit for tat. False accusations seem to be flying from all corners now and only heightening bull**** for lads to start throwing around in the pub tonight.

OK...so it is your OPINION that

"Most of these vehicels have insufficient lighting, lack of or no reg plate and without tax disc or insurance disc. Furthermore, I'd bet a you all that the driver of these construction vehicels are not carrying a licence.

I'm sure some of these heavy vehicals are the common reason for our depleting quality roads. Of which they probably don't have road tax."

What are you basing your opinion on ?

And before you ask. I will tell you what I am basing mine on. I know for a FACT (yes I'll use that dirty word) that these vehicles are subject to regular inspections from the likes of the HSA. As I said already, I am sure there are a few chancers around, but you certainly would not get away with it for long.

So how exactly do you propose large amounts of earth should be moved....? In Transit Vans....?

5 hours of a working day that they would sit up. There are more than 5 hours in a day. Maybe all construction work should be at night-time, where the workers could get a shift premium for working unsociable hours. Also, they might find it easier with less traffic for them to hold up.

Are you serious. You would expect all Moxy Drivers to get off the road for 5 of the peak working hours in the day.

What else should get off the road for those hours ? Tractors ? Cranes ...? Tippers ? Buses (I've been stuck behind many a bus in my day) ? Where do we draw the line ?

As for your suggestion that all construction should be done at night.... I'll just let that one slide.

No attack on all Moxy drivers, just my annoyance of one yesterday morning. I’m sure there are more, and I’m sure there are decent courteous drivers too.

I beg to differ. To say that in your OPINION MOST of them are driving around in Untaxed, Uninsured and Unsafe vehicles and that they should not be allowed to work for 5 hours in the day, is indeed an attack on Moxy Drivers.

This could go on all day and night, and I really don't have anymore time to argue. I have some of my points across, and have heard some.

Also, is Frappachino nice?

• Advertisement

get back to ya on that neuromancer! was wondering the same thing!

Advertisement