Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to get broadband to use Skype

• 07-09-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm bewildered by broadband. Seriously not up on the jargon and terms etc. I've read through a few websites like broadband aware and the department of communications site on broadband and a couple more.

In my part of Connemara it's not possible (yet) to get broadband through my phoneline, the test keeps failing (although it did pass once by a freak accident I presume, teasing isn't nice Eircom).

I've got two main reasons for wanting broadband. The first being the obvious speed advantages for using the internet, downloading music, loading webpages etc. The second is so I can make Skype to Skype calls to another computer within Ireland which will reduce my phonebill greatly.

Ruling out getting broadband through my phoneline for the moment, what options are available to me? I presume (fixed?) wireless would be the way to go rather than satalite which seems ridiculously expensive to me. What should I know about the relationship between broadband and using Skype? Does VOIP have a bearing on my situation? Also these download limits, I'm rather worried about exceeding them and incurring extra cost, I use the net for surfing mostly although I could see myself downloading soem music with broadband. Would using Skype (likely to use it for 1-2 hours a day) have a bearing on this download limit?

Sorry for all the questions guys but I'm just so very new to all this and I'm pretty confused. All help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Hi John,

Yah it can be a bitof a maze: have you come across this link?

There *should* be a wireless provider in your area - ie your connection to the Internet is wireless, you don't have to have a wireless card in your PC.

If you find you can't get wireless - and as you said satellite is prohibitively expensive, check out irelandoffline.com and (not taking the p*** here) talk to your local TD.

Skype (a compny that does VoIP) shouldn't affect any "cap" on downloads you have.

Advertisement