Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What does Gerry Ryan drive ?

Options
  • 07-09-2006 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know this thread is a little obscure for me but.......

I was listening to G Ryan ranting on this morning about VRT on his show when he mentioned the he had imported two cars from the UK, as he called them - "a his and hers cars". He said the the VRT cost "thousands" and that the Road Tax "cost €1200" on each of them.

Now he wasn't really giving out at having to pay this money (he can well afford it!), he just reckoned that it went against the rules of the EU supposedly 'open market economy'.

Anyway, it left me wondering what sort of cars did he import ?
    I'm imagining something slightly exotic ??

........but on past form he has a fondness for Mazdas! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

probably some big engined mercs, but who cares? he's a tosser.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He used to drive a Mazda Xedos 6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

One of these perhaps? Notice any similarities between car and driver?
    peugeot-407-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

did he mention anything about it being identified as being an illegal tax by the european union?

not that it matters, isnt his show just a place for people to complain but not do anything about it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

He used to drive Mazda's cos his brother works in Ballsbridge Motors.

He has and old Merc at the mo thik its a CL280 from the 80's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Silvera wrote:
    and that the Road Tax "cost €1200" on each of them
    Strictly speaking he could not have paid €1,200 on each car. It must have been €1,109 or €1,343.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Strictly speaking he could not have paid €1,200 on each car. It must have been €1,109 or €1,343.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

On one of the few occassions I've heard him in the last year he mentioned he had a 6 series bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

He lives up the road from me. It was a mazda alright and his missus drives a very old merc. I think he is in a Lexus now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are often a number of cars parked outside his house, one being an 8 Series BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I may have imagined this, but I could have sworn years ago he pulled up beside me in a black Pajero. I would have been early teens back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

kbannon wrote:
    There are often a number of cars parked outside his house, one being an 8 Series BMW.

Saw him in this at the weekend. Light metallic blue. Looking like quite the prat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, whatever he drives, that is where our TV licence is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I heard him mouthing off on the radio a while ago that Mazda Ireland gave him a call for free. Distributors do this with ceratin celebs to raise brand awareness, like free advertising. Apparently Brian O' Driscoll gets a similar freebie from BMW or some distributor like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

He imported an 8 series BMW from the UK like kbannon said...GR spoke at length about this and how he went about importing it on a previous show broadcast months ago.
    and at some stage he drove a few mazda xedos`ss!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

draffodx wrote:
    not that it matters, isnt his show just a place for people to complain but not do anything about it?

Oh the irony,
    Someone posting that on Boards.ie

ROFL

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

once you hit the €1,393 barrier there's no further to go, 3 litre and up. So whatever he & she are driving them's are big engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Max_Damage wrote:
    Well, whatever he drives, that is where our TV licence is going.

Not really as the Radio Stations are pretty much self financing, the TV licence goes to make quality programming like Fair ****ty and The Lyrics Boards. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

Darragh29 wrote:
    I heard him mouthing off on the radio a while ago that Mazda Ireland gave him a call for free. Distributors do this with ceratin celebs to raise brand awareness, like free advertising. Apparently Brian O' Driscoll gets a similar freebie from BMW or some distributor like that.

Brian O'Driscoll is with Toyotas (and there may have been a Lexus SC430 at one stage) He used to have a nice Celica. Gordon D'Arcy gets BMWs. He was driving a 318, then they gave him an X5 and now he has a 6 Series Convertible.

All the cars are on loan, so it is a cheap way of advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Gerry actually always drove the Xedos 9's, the bigger one. He had two of them for years !

I know he has BMW's now but I heard him last month talking about the "i-drive" systems so I assumed he had a new 5 series !! He also stated that his wife has the exact same car !

Cant see him importing two 8 series cars ?? You sure about that, or does he have that aswell ?

He stated yesterday that the Irish MEP's all voted against the abolition of VRT !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

8 series?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've seen him in an 840i (it's black iirc, or at least a dark colour). I pass his house every other day in my car, and it's always parked up there of an evening.

http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/bmw/840/840.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know someone who has one of Gerry Ryan's old Xedos 6's.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Really! Mike you have gotta close this one now. Who really cares what he drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Chonker wrote:
    Really! Mike you have gotta close this one now. Who really cares what he drives.

Mmmm...'What does Gerry Ryan drive?' A really uncool thread... And still it spreads out over 2 pages... OK it's superficial, but no more so than lots of threads that appear on these forums.

Relax & stop trying to play the kool card...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

pburns wrote:
    Mmmm...'What does Gerry Ryan drive?' A really uncool thread... And still it spreads out over 2 pages... OK it's superficial, but no more so than lots of threads that appear on these forums.

Relax & stop trying to play the kool card...

The Kool Card?

Pot calling the kettle!:cool:

I just thought! Who really cares, didnt know that made me Kool?

Sorry if ive upset you pb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

While Ryan makes me sick anytime I hear him for the few micro seconds while flicking through the radio stations however I once heard him say that he and his wife love their cars - and I have no problem with that - fair play to him if he can afford them.

I was in a 2005 BMW 520d this evening and it was a real jem - although I think a 2.0 diesel is a bit underpowered for such a heavy car.

I am always interested to hear what celebs drive but for some reason most go out of their way to keep it a secret. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭themonk

While Ryan makes me sick anytime I hear him for the few micro seconds while flicking through the radio stations however I once heard him say that he and his wife love their cars - and I have no problem with that - fair play to him if he can afford them.

I was in a 2005 BMW 520d this evening and it was a real jem - although I think a 2.0 diesel is a bit underpowered for such a heavy car.

I am always interested to hear what celebs drive but for some reason most go out of their way to keep it a secret. :rolleyes:

any chance we could start a derek davis thread so

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

BrianD3 wrote:
    One of these perhaps? Notice any similarities between car and driver?

A big mouth?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've seen him lots of times in the 8 series, and if I'm thinking of the right house there's an A8 and a Range Rover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement