Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not the nicest thing

Options
  • 07-09-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

The night after I drink a lot when I go to bed and begin falling asleep I start almost hallucinating or something, weird sh1t starts flashing in front of my face. Then when I'm almost asleep it starts to feel like someone is pulling me out of my bed by my arms and I'm awake but I can't move. There is a really loud rushing noise in my ears all through it. Then when the noise gets really loud and I feel I'm just about to fall out of the bed or something, it just stops all of a sudden and I can move again. It's so fu<king weird and really scary at times too. I've heard people refer to weird things that happen to them after drinking called 'the fear', wonder is this it. Does this or anything like this happen to anybody else or am I on my own here?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Such dreams would get me to drink less!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭djeddy

[Then when the noise gets really loud and I feel I'm just about to fall out of the bed or something, it just stops all of a sudden and I can move again. It's so fu<king weird and really scary at times too.

not been able to effing move, and to be awake or in an effing weird dream are effing scary,

(i posted something like this before)

i remember a few times it happening to me, and i was not drunk,

trying to role out of the bed to wake myself or whatever, once after struggling to whisper jesus i was thankfully released from what ever the f it was that had me trapped, other times i called on loved ones gone before and was released again thankfully,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

christ that sounds nasty...!
    i've had those kind of dreams but not as bad, as in i feel like im falling, or i keep tryig to scream but cant wake up or make a sound.

i wonder if that rushing noise in your ears is just from a loud nightclub or something, you know the way after being in a nightclub for a while your ears tend to be buzzing, maybe you're particularly sensitive to it all?

i'd get that looked into if i were you, not suggesting that it's something wrong with you but just out of curiosity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

smk135 wrote:
    christ that sounds nasty...!
    i've had those kind of dreams but not as bad, as in i feel like im falling, or i keep tryig to scream but cant wake up or make a sound.

i wonder if that rushing noise in your ears is just from a loud nightclub or something, you know the way after being in a nightclub for a while your ears tend to be buzzing, maybe you're particularly sensitive to it all?

i'd get that looked into if i were you, not suggesting that it's something wrong with you but just out of curiosity...

happens me too, not always but quite regularly when ive been on shorts or red wine all night long the night before and havent had a lot of sleep, scary bananas!
    also suffer from sleep paralysis which i find similar but not as disruptive. drinking less has helped reduce the scary episodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Its just so weird! I get the trying to scream and can't as well, its weird. I don't think the loud noise is from loud music, don't know what it is. Maybe I should drink less, haha----by the way I'm not a raving alcoholic as this thread would have you believe!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I kind of want to experience the semi-dream where you can't move, but your awake. Your body is still asleep, but your mind is awake. It sounds scary but I would like to try this.

I've never had anything like you described, but for a week or so when I was drinking every night, everytime I closed my eyes as I was going to sleep I could swear I was still with my friends talking to them. It was weird

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

this has happened to me a couple of times... hard to describe,, not caused by drink, as ive been sober on a couple of occasions

once or twice i seem totally awake but cannot move,, feels like the duvet is holding me to the bed...... the body feels really heavy.. its a horrible feeling

another feeling i get is when you feel miles away from your own body. not in a seeing sence,, just a feeling,,, like your hands are a million miles away. your arms,, your legs, . its quite scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

Did you see the sleep paralysis thread it pretty much describes what you experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

do you suffer from anxiety, ocd or panic attacks? Or do you even worry about your health at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

What everybody seems to be describing is sleep paralysis (am familiar with it both personally and professionally!).

It's usually a self-limiting and harmless condition (but try telling that to anyone who has the terrifying sensation of not being able to move for what seems like an eternity!). It can be associated with hallucinations in some. At least half the world's population, perhaps a lot more, experience this at least once in their lifetime. So that's reassuring.

We all undergo near-paralysis as part of normal REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. However, in sleep paralysis the brain is awakened from a REM state into essentially a normal fully awake state, but the body paralysis is still present. You feel like you can't move nor speak whilst falling asleep or waking up.

Alcohol, which often facilitates sleep onset, can lead to decreased REM sleep and sleep disruption. It can cause a range of sleep disturbances, some of which are mentioned above.

Stress and sleep deprivation offer trigger an episode of sleep paralysis.

To re-emphasise, sleep paralysis is surprisingly common. It can be associated with narcolepsy but by and large it is not indicative of any other condition and isn't anything to worry about per se.

As always, going to a GP if you're concerned is a good idea.

There isn't much literature about sleep paralysis...what you'll see on Wikipedia is as good as any. And of course there is another (fabulous) boards thread on here about sleep paralysis.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2054968826

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I used to have scary disrupted sleep after drinking as well.
    It happened all the time a couple of years ago. It would be the night after I had been out and I would be asleep and have the feeling that someone was sitting on the end of my bed. It always felt like I was awake and if I looked at the end of the bed it was a dark silhouette sitting there. Usually I was afraid to look but I would try to wake myself up by moving around in the bed. It got to the point where I had to leave a light on in the hallway so my room wasn't totally dark.
    I always felt afraid that the person/thing was going to hurt me.
    Anyway after a while it stopped and hasn't happened for ages now. I wondered for a while if the house was haunted!! But I think it was just weird alcohol-hallucinations.

I used to have scary disrupted sleep after drinking as well.
    It happened all the time a couple of years ago. It would be the night after I had been out and I would be asleep and have the feeling that someone was sitting on the end of my bed. It always felt like I was awake and if I looked at the end of the bed it was a dark silhouette sitting there. Usually I was afraid to look but I would try to wake myself up by moving around in the bed. It got to the point where I had to leave a light on in the hallway so my room wasn't totally dark.
    I always felt afraid that the person/thing was going to hurt me.
    Anyway after a while it stopped and hasn't happened for ages now. I wondered for a while if the house was haunted!! But I think it was just weird alcohol-hallucinations.

Its called succubus or old hag syndrome. I get it quite alot, a few times a week some weeks. Other times it feels like I'm falling out of me bed (top bunk) trying to get away and when I hit the floor I'm back in bed but still feeling the presence etc. Wake up the first time sometimes, others it happens a few times before I wake. Paralysed most times, but I've learned how to stop it now so its handy. All you do is wiggle a toe, or move a finger and you'll find that the arm or leg will soon follow. To avoid slipping straight back into an "attack"(for want of better word), stare at a light for a few minutes. Don't know why this works but it does, I usually put the screen of my phone which is usually beside my pillow up close to my eyes for a few seconds, saves getting up and losing my cosiness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

ive been suffering from I have found to be called night terror. About an hour and a half after I fall asleep I sceam and shout and sometimes get out of my bed and sometimes I have my eyes open. I never remember these episodes and it can happen up to three times a month. it shas little to do with me drinking as it happens at any time. It has happened when I am at home, holidays or on sharing a room with stranger, i.e work colleagues on a training week. I have done some research into this and it is called night terrors. In the forth stage of sleep is when it happens. It is not a serious condition although with everything the websites suggest seeking a gp or sleep consultant(us websites so the usual nonsense)

Anyone else suffer from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I had a dream whereby i was desperately trying to move and breathe. Eventually I woke up covered in sweat.
    Afterwards i had a cigarette and tostated how precious life is:)

Advertisement