Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close.

• 07-09-2006 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hello there,
    anyone out there have any idea what this message is all about?
    I'm on dial-up and windows xp and most times I've used internet explorer over the last few weeks, I get the generic host process message and explorer shuts down. It won't reconnect either unless I restart the computer.
    Anyone know what's causing this?
    Virus?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is windows uptodate with patches?
    What operating system are you using?
    Are you running an up to date antivirus and spyware scanner?
    This is most likely a virus but could be something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep thats a virus, either Sasser or msblast (family of worms). Like the picture below? What anti-virus have you got?

rpc.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Windows XP but I've never downloaded any patches. That might help.
    Running Norton Antivirus but wouldnt say it's bang up to date as I don't think it's been updated since we got the computer two years ago.
    Ruu, Message doesn't look exactly like that. A box comes up with Generic host process needs to close. Gives you a choice of sending error report or not sending.
    I wouldn't be great on computers so when something like this comes up it's a problem.

Do yourself a favour and chuck Norton in the bin and get one of the free anti-virus scanners (AVG, Anti-Vir, avast!), get Windows up to date.Have you a firewall and have you got Service Pack 2 installed (if not, do that also). There is far too many holes in XP so you need to have it updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Right, I'll look up some of those free anti-virus scanners. I presume they'll take ages to download on dial-up! Would that service pack 2 be available on microsoft website? I'll check that out too.
    Thanks lads...

• Advertisement

You can probably get SP2 from Microsoft on CD or get someone (with BB) to burn it to a disc for you along with some of decent anti-virus programs.

Advertisement