Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off for Gaelic Players

• 07-09-2006 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Wondering if someone could confirm or dismiss a rumour that i was told tonight, that people who play gaelic for their local team are given sundays off during cadet/recruit training so as to play for their team. Is this true or bull?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

The Army excourages sports and will do their best to accomodate you and your teams requirements.........within reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

The DF sports policy is very clear on this look it up. It is beneficial to the DF to let these sportsmen off. Anyway very little training is done on Sundays anyway. If you are on exercise you wont get off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Where is it very clear on it? Anyway does it just mean time off for County players or does everyone who plays for a team get the day off if your not on exercise?

Where is it very clear on it? Anyway does it just mean time off for County players or does everyone who plays for a team get the day off if your not on exercise?

Hve you read it? it will answer your Q's. It is not just for county players it for any sport that can be deemed beneficial to the organisation. This includes everything from junior B hurling to potholing.

It is very hard to justify keeping someone in just for the sake of it when they could be off for a few hours playing a sport. THe army will become even more sport within the next year when a certain promotion takes place so get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I know a lad that went into the latest bunch of recruits about 2 weeks ago, he lives across the road from me, and plays senior for a local team, and iv seen him on several occassions, while other friends of mine in the same recruit group have had to stay in, so id say its true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

So whats the deal then if your starting, should you just bring a letter from your local team or what. I hope its not just gaelic you get time off for, as its soccer thats my game, and id hope to keep playing a bit for me team

No soccer is deemed to be a foreign sport and Army policy is very strict about it. You will not be allowed time off for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

muletide wrote:
    No soccer is deemed to be a foreign sport and Army policy is very strict about it. You will not be allowed time off for it.

Damn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DarkMuse

What about rugby?It was one vote away from becoming a gaeilic game:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

How do i join the SAS? Is there a website? or an application form? Whereabouts is it aswell? I know there's an English one. Is there an Irish one too?

• Advertisement

From the sublime to the ...........

For the SAS join the British Army first. Contact the British MOD the Internet is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just read that post myself. :rolleyes:

Tallaght01, please read the useful stickies at the top of the forum.
    Failing that use Google, Yahoo or any other search engine you like.
    DO NOT come along disrupting other threads with off the wall questions.
    You are getting to be a bit of a nuisance. Consider your card marked.

me card is marked? Nuiscance? What kind of a way is that to speak to another person? Where I'm from that's disrespectful. I know as it's the internet ur probably only about 15 years old, but you should still be old enough to know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

To be honest Tallaght01 your comment was completely off topic, even if you dont read the sticky's on the top of the fourm you can always create a new thread to ask your question and i'm sure everybody will help you to the best of their ability.

tallaght01 wrote:
    me card is marked? Nuiscance? What kind of a way is that to speak to another person? Where I'm from that's disrespectful. I know as it's the internet ur probably only about 15 years old, but you should still be old enough to know better.

It is against the Charter to discuss moderating decisions in thread. Use of textspeak i.e. "ur" is also against the Charter. Use PM or go to Feedback. Either ways suits me. For the record I'm not 15 I'm 50 and I'm actually being nice to you.

Now read the Charter before you post again. Last warning.

As foinse said feel free to start a new thread and ask questions there are plenty of people who would be only to glad to help provided you go about it the right way.

against the rules to discuss one of ur infallible decisions in a thread. You gotta laugh. Makes me laugh almost as much as you claiming that calling me a nuiscance constitutes being nice to me. Dunno where u were brought up, kid, but a 50 year old should know better ;)

Adios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Don__t_feed_the_Troll.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

muletide wrote:

forgive me if i sound stupid but is that really true?. i thought the various barracks have rugby and soccer teams. i know a couple of army lads who are/were involved with my local league of ireland team and they seem to get time off. (then again one of them has just head off abroad on peace keeping missions) sorry if this is a really thick question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Yeah its true if you fly the flag of Defence Forces in whatever you do they will give you time off for it. I know of Officers at Inter-County level who were allowed home during Overseas missions to play GAA. If you're anyway good at any sport they will give you time off...but be prepared to play for DF and Brigade teams in return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement