Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name for new shopping centre - your suggestions?

• 07-09-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

It looks as if the dreadful "Brewery" name has been dropped for the new city-centre development, but nothing appears to have been proposed in its place.

It will be great if whoever is responsible for naming it can choose a name that classy and distinctive, whilst retaining a link with the local area. Personally I would steer clear of "Centre" or "Mall" as part of the name.

My pick is "St Stephen's Square". For some reason it brings a snow-covered Vienna and Strauss waltzes to mind, although I've never ever been to Austria. It also has a direct link with one of the neighbouring streets.

Still though, a little part of me would like an Italian name for the place. I just love the name of the Frascati Centre in Blackrock, and there's a place in Rome called "La Rinascente". I guess it would be a little too pretentious for Waterford though, not to mention how it would sound in our accent!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The McCann Centre? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trotter wrote:
    The McCann Centre? :p

Hehe, might be a good strategy to stop him from objecting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

A De La Salle man myself... but...

Houses No 7 & 8 New Street are on the grounds of where Br Edmund Ignatius Rice opened his first school in 1802 thus founding the CHristian Brothers. He was worldwide fame So how about "The Br. Rice Emporium" or something similiar..

Just my 2c

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Emporium sounds abit much, how about Edmund Rice Square or just Rice Square?

I'd imagine if you try put brother into it it';ll be shot down straight away...especially into todays inviroment.

Square is a bit common. We have City Square, The Square Tallaght et all...

I was trying to think of something original. suggest that it is not just another shopping centre, because it isn't especially if it is going to have a hotel, arts centre etc in it.

Currently in Waterford we have the William Vincent Wallace Plaza and The Millenium Plaza, so to keep in vogue we could have the Edmund Rice Plaza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

How about the " it's great to see progress and employment in this town, but the fact that most people who actually have internet access will buy most of the stuff that is on sale there online instead because it'll be just another example of rip-off Ireland and you'll end up haemorrhaging money if you so much as walk past the place, but that's all ok because it's shiny and new and people love that shite and they're dumb enough to buy into the whole concept while the real issues that afflict Waterford get swept under the carpet for another year or two Centre?".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Roen wrote:
    How about the " it's great to see progress and employment in this town, but the fact that most people who actually have internet access will buy most of the stuff that is on sale there online instead because it'll be just another example of rip-off Ireland and you'll end up haemorrhaging money if you so much as walk past the place, but that's all ok because it's shiny and new and people love that shite and they're dumb enough to buy into the whole concept while the real issues that afflict Waterford get swept under the carpet for another year or two Centre?".

Its abit long but its a good name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roen wrote:

Good name, but it sounds like it's probably already been used...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Roen wrote:
    Very snappy that'd really stick in peoples minds !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How about something like Suir-side centre, or Water-side? Make use of the river association. Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I still prefer mine ;)
    Seriously though would naming it after a historical figure or street be giving the wrong signal? Should the name break links to the past and try to look to the future?

The river idea is good but it's far away from the Suir and Waterford people obviously have no pride in John's river seeing as it's been allowed get to the state it's in now.
    It's a tricky question alright.

We should treasure our history more. Afterall we are Irelands oldest City and this shopping centre is being built in the oldest part of this City. By naming it after someone famous it will have tourism potential.

Imagine re-creating a classroom on the grounds of where Edmund Rice opened his first school there in 1802 within the Centre. and a plaque commemerating this. Do you not think it would increase footfall and get people who otherwise might not visit waterford.

Just another thing to add to our Tourism heritage and keep Messrs McCann at bay.

Advertisement