Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW brake components

Options
  • 08-09-2006 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good website that explains in detail the components that make up BMW wheels/brakes? eg Bearings Hub Caliper etc..

background..... There is a loud clicking noise coming from my left wheel when I brake. It happens only once each time I brake (unless I brake really softly). The mechanic told me it was a cracked carrier plate. He said the part is not sold seperately and can't be fixed without spending a lot of money. Can anyone shed any light on this? I can't find any information about this online. All I find is BMW parts whenever I go near google!! Even after trawling through thousands of websites selling parts I can't find anything about a carrier plate!! Anyone know what it is or does? I'm sure it's possible to fix it without purchasing a whole load of other stuff... any help much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I find the Haynes service manual for the E46 3-Series very informative:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petrol-Service-Repair-Manual-Registration/dp/1844250679/sr=8-1/qid=1157697236/ref=pd_ka_1/026-2700859-2437200?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

It goes into great detail, and as far as I can recall it has an entire section on the brakes. It covers components, how to fit them (pictures included) and lots of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ocallagh wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good website that explains in detail the components that make up BMW wheels/brakes? eg Bearings Hub Caliper etc..

background..... There is a loud clicking noise coming from my left wheel when I brake. It happens only once each time I brake (unless I brake really softly). The mechanic told me it was a cracked carrier plate. He said the part is not sold seperately and can't be fixed without spending a lot of money. Can anyone shed any light on this? I can't find any information about this online. All I find is BMW parts whenever I go near google!! Even after trawling through thousands of websites selling parts I can't find anything about a carrier plate!! Anyone know what it is or does? I'm sure it's possible to fix it without purchasing a whole load of other stuff... any help much appreciated!!
    put the last 7 digits of your chassis number in here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and it will give you every assembly & sub-assembly for your car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

thank you for all for the replies. very much appreciated. i'm just about to start trawling through the hoards of information awaiting me!!!

good to know about these sites.

mods - any plans to make a sticky for such URLs? (edit: just saw you have ahuge list of links already - sorry! good work..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Lex Luthor wrote:
    put the last 7 digits of your chassis number in here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and it will give you every assembly & sub-assembly for your car

this site is amazing - cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ocallagh wrote:
    this site is amazing - cheers!
    the good thing about it aswell is the prices are fairly accurate, so you have a fair idea what they cost from the dealer before ringing Otto or GSF

Advertisement