Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding free email services to sites

Options
  • 08-09-2006 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello All,

A client has asked me to look into adding free email services (like hotmail - obviously smaller!) to their site, where users can register for an account and log in to check mail etc.

Has anyone here ever set something like this up? Which software did you use? I can imagine that there must be a load of security and legal stuff that I'd need to know, so if anyone had any advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are quite a few software solutions and services that can handle this for you.

Everyone.net used to be handy, though I've no idea if they're still offering signups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Google are offering gmail to webmasters.
    Basically you get @domain.com email addresses but your users login @ something like google.com/user/domain/ and they use gmail as the mail client.

Pretty cool stuff.

Free at the moment but i'm not certain if they plan to charge for the service when it comes out of beta. You may have one or two privacy concerns using Gmail but they would be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 c_do

thats great - I'll check those options out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Free at the moment but i'm not certain if they plan to charge for the service when it comes out of beta.
    From what I've seen it looks like they will be charging for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Arch-Stanton

blacknight wrote:
    From what I've seen it looks like they will be charging for it

I have been testing the gmail on a couple of domains, yes it's a great service and worth paying for, however, when you use the web interface to check mail you see google adds on the right of the screen.

This will probably have the effect of keeping it free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Take a look at Hivemail
    I have worked with their system before and it's quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Outblaze is another company that will provide your site with a free email service (they will charge you for it though).

There is another software system that you can install on your own server (if you have your own server) but the name escapes me right now.

Aha, remembered: http://atmail.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

misterq wrote:
    Outblaze is another company that will provide your site with a free email service (they will charge you for it though).

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 c_do

:confused:

He means that they will set up the free email service on the site (as in for the sites visitors). But I'd have to pay for it.

Thanks again guys - I'll take a good look at all those.

:)

Advertisement