Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The whole 'Nazi' jibes at McDowell

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

partholon wrote:
    oh for gods sake get off your PD/FF high horse, you'll give yourself a nose bleed, where did i mention micheal macdowel in regards to the martin ferris thing? i was responding to the corinthians comment about dictatorships and i provided examples of where the state swung in to interfer with the democractic process, something he obiviously doesnt thinks happens according to his post. the only mention i made in that post about mickey d was where he actually increased the powers the gardai have.
    I'm sorry, we thought this thread was about McDowell being likened to a Nazi as opposed to a general rant about the government. Our mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

partholon wrote:
    the only mention i made in that post about mickey d was where he actually increased the powers the gardai have.
    And the police in Nazi Germany had lots of powers, therefore anyone in favour of more powers for the police is a Nazi.

In other news, Hitler had brown hair. Therefore anyone who dies their hair brown is a Nazi.

partholon wrote:
    oh for gods sake get off your PD/FF high horse, you'll give yourself a nose bleed, where did i mention micheal macdowel in regards to the martin ferris thing?

As Corinthian has pointed out, the thread is in fact about Michael McDowell and the Nazi comparison. You mentioned the arrest of Martin Ferris, and specifically asked 'who ordered that'? Now you say that by such rhetorical question you clearly referred to the State! I don't buy that, that old 'stop digging' line springs to mind. By 'who' on a thread about McDowell I think we can all guess which individual you had in mind, don't pretend you actually meant a country or institution just because you have been called to substantiate your allegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

As Corinthian has pointed out, the thread is in fact about Michael McDowell and the Nazi comparison. You mentioned the arrest of Martin Ferris, and specifically asked 'who ordered that'? Now you say that by such rhetorical question you clearly referred to the State! I don't buy that, that old 'stop digging' line springs to mind. By 'who' on a thread about McDowell I think we can all guess which individual you had in mind, don't pretend you actually meant a country or institution just because you have been called to substantiate your allegation.

:rolleyes: *drums fingers on desk top vainly waiting for people to actually answer the question i asked instead of launching off in flights of fancy. particularly when it was pointed out macdowel wasnt in charge then!

partholon wrote:
    :rolleyes: *drums fingers on desk top vainly waiting for people to actually answer the question i asked instead of launching off in flights of fancy. particularly when it was pointed out macdowel wasnt in charge then!
    Noone has answered your question because it has nothing to do with Nazi Germany. If you want to start up a discussion on how you don't agree with a particular decision the minister has made you'll have to do it in another thread. If you have evidance that the minister plans to invade Poland you may post it in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

John_C wrote:
    Noone has answered your question because it has nothing to do with Nazi Germany. If you want to start up a discussion on how you don't agree with a particular decision the minister has made you'll have to do it in another thread. If you have evidance that the minister plans to invade Poland you may post it in this thread.
    From a moderator perspective, that's good enough and put well enough for me.

On-topic is fine, vaguely on-topic is fine, attempting to drag the thread totally off-kilter for no particular reason when the "New Thread" button is available for reasonable discussion based matters is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I wouldn't call him a nazi, I can see why others do and I've asked Mrs Doyle to clean that window, seriously though I pay no attention to throw-away smears like that.

Whether it was intended or not, this thread is shining light on things I'm sure McDowell would prefer to be forgotten about, more solid material than some might have had from tabloid froth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Well we had two: father and son act Bobby and Ben Briscoe.

In fact, the Jewish community in Ireland, although tiny, has punched way above its weight in terms of political influence. Even if the entire Jewish community in Ireland lived in a single constituency, which it doesn't, and even if it all voted for the same party, which it doesn't, its combined vote would not be enough in itself to get a single candidate elected. Yet in the history of the state it has produced:

One lord mayor of Cork--Goldberg
    Two lord mayors of Dublin--the Briscoes
    Four TDs--the Briscoes (FF) Mervyn Taylor (Lab) and Alan Shatter (FG)
    One president of Israel--Chaim Herzog

In fact this current Dail is the first one since 1927 not to have a single Jewish deputy. Taylor and Briscoe had retired and Shatter got swept away in the general FG melt down last time out. He is likely to be back at the next election.

Incidentally (and in a link that may get us back on topic) a feature on Shatter in a recent issue of the Phoenix puts forward his charming theory as to why the three main parties all have or had until recently Jewish TDs whereas the PDs never had. "You need to be a complete prick to stand for the PDs"

Oldie but goodie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Mad Finn wrote:
    Even if the entire Jewish community in Ireland lived in a single constituency, which it doesn't, and even if it all voted for the same party, which it doesn't, its combined vote would not be enough in itself to get a single candidate elected.
    You mean Gentiles cannot vote for Jewish candidates?
    One president of Israel--Chaim Herzog
    Ireland elected the president of Israel?

You mean Gentiles cannot vote for Jewish candidates?
    I don't think he meant that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement