Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving My Game

Options
  • 08-09-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Right, after last night I'd like to get some info off everyone on how I can improve my game (remember, we're all going to be on the same team so even off whoever was on the other team last night;)). First thing, could somebody give a run down of all the on pitch lingo and an explanation for each expression?

Situations I noticed myself getting into are say for example I'm marking a guy in defence and someone is attacking coming towards me and has got past my team mate in front, what's the best way to keep both the him and the guy I'm marking secure?

If there's a corner and the attacker I'm marking goes up to defend the corner, how far should I follow before I lose him if I want to remain in defence or should I just keep on him and be an extra man in the box for the corner attack?

A few times last night I was making a move that I thought was the best but when I'm half way into doing the move (be it going to an attacker, going out to a wing or whatever) I was to do something else, by which time it was pretty much too late to do that and then I lose concentration on what I was already intending to do myself.

These are just a few things I can brush up on and I'd like as many comments and criticisms as possible so I know where I'm going wrong or what I'm doing right even.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

cormie wrote:
    say for example I'm marking a guy in defence and someone is attacking coming towards me and has got past my team mate in front, what's the best way to keep both the him and the guy I'm marking secure?
    cormie wrote:

Always stay with your man, let the attacker come towards you. don't charge out and lose your man.

cormie wrote:
    If there's a corner and the attacker I'm marking goes up to defend the corner, how far should I follow before I lose him if I want to remain in defence or should I just keep on him and be an extra man in the box for the corner attack?
    cormie wrote:

depends how many is left in defence. Should always be 2 defenders in your own half of the field for corners. Let him off up the field, decide between the defenders who is going to go up and attack the ball for the corner. Generally speaking though, the attacker shouldn't be going back to defend a corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

cormie it all depends on what system we're gonna use and all that stuff you're asking is probably best explained in person with demonstration.

At Parkvale we played a pressing system to great effect and it meant that if you're up front you know it's worth chasing down the defender cos you know the man behind you has pressed up on their next man so you're really putting them under pressure. It's a great system when everyone on the team understands it and puts the effort in, but I suspect the lack of offside will limit its impact.

Thought you did very well last night to be honest Cormie, maybe get a little closer to the back of the man you're marking so he doesn't have time and space to turn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On pitch lingo?

What do you mean?

'Man On' - there is a man approaching you from a position that you can't see, if you are in posession try and pass it to a team mate before he tackles and dispossess you.

'Goal Side' - When marking from a corner or free kick, always try to stay on the side of your man that is closest to the goal you are defending.

'Time' - This means that if you receive a pass you have some time to decide what to do with the ball, there is no 'man on' - not much mind, especially on astro.

Is this what you meant?

If you receive the ball, and someone tells you you have 'time', they generally mean don't just blast the ball without looking where you are putting it. Look up, if in a midfield or defensive position, check your options. Is there a man wide you can play it to, a midfielder in a beter position further up the field, a forward making a run, can I go with the ball myself etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah that's what I meant, I copped all them but I think there was one or two other things I wasn't sure of, last night was first time I heard goal side anyway:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

'house' was a great one we used to use. means peg it up the field cos you're about to get creamed!

we never did play nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Ha yeah thats right. "house"

Usually its "Ya got a man on!".."oh **** HOUSE!" *CRACK!*

School boy soccer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

goal side is generally when talking to the side backs, ie you keep between the attacker and the goal so as he has to beat you to get the possibility of getting further... also for side backs its important to keep behind your man if your team doesnt have possesion, too many times last night our team (blues) side backs were infront of the men exposing them to balls over the head and the man has a straight oppertunity for a cross or shot

Side backs?

:eek:

Full backs in my part of the world.

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

He is one of them weird Lucan people, gotta watch out for them folks ;)

11 a-side soccer, I call them full backs. But 7 a-side I call them side backs.

But this is 11 a-side astro so I'll call them what ever everyone else is calling them :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

blah its all the same :p

im in a similar boat to cormie from last night in regard to making some bad decisions,there was times when i had to do a forward run to take some pressure off dara(blackwizard) up front (ill admit at times it was practically 4-3-1-1) but it left abit more for keith/cormie to do to hold midfield on their own and towards the end i could feel the runs catching up on me making it harder to get back to cover the defensive duties...though i thought the pitch was longer than a soccer one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Last nights pitch was probably about Astro pitch length I thought.

A bit more understanding will come in the middle of the park (shame I wont be part of it!) and things will be grand, essentially, if whoever is in the middle can let each other know who's doing what, it will be grand.

If you make forward runs you have to get back, if you make a forward run you have to let the other guy know and if you arent going to run back you dont run forward.

Still, its 4 nights in and these things can take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Draupnir wrote:
    If you make forward runs you have to get back, if you make a forward run you have to let the other guy know and if you arent going to run back you dont run forward.

Nail >> Head
    If anyone from defence -> DMF makes forward runs/up for corners/free kicks etc , you have to make sure you get back. If you lose the ball in ANY position on the field you should chase it back. Keep the opposition under constant pressure, chase every ball down, and don't let them settle on the ball for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah Gileadi, myself and you were messing up quite a bit on the MF position. Are we going to try some different positions in training maybe? I'd like a shot right wing to even see myself how I compare to other positions.

Advertisement