Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet: thumbs up

• 08-09-2006 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

So after being told by Eircom (and Smart) that my line was unsuitable (previous thread), Magnet switched me over in just a week.

The equipment arrived by courier on the same day Magnet got my line. They even sent it to my work address so I didn't have to hang around the house waiting on InterLink.

No setup fee; no hassle; and everything worked right out of the box, including VoIP.

For a line that was allegedly sh1te/carrier, I've now got a full 2Mbps dl on their Starter package.

My only gripe is that their router (2wire ADSL2+) uses WEP and not WPA.

40mxonq.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

ah yes, but can you get access to the router? It's password protected. I admit that they are prompt and the service is good, but they do not allow me access to the router, nor will they open ports for me. So I am currently feeling so-so about Magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

campers, can i ask, how long did it take for magnet to get access to your eircom line?

did you set it up yourself, i have ordered mine since wednesday, went through all the questions on the phone, just wanna know how long it takes really to get it and if its easy to install

When you say you cant access the router , do you know what ports are blocked. Is MSN blocked ? ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

campers wrote:
    For a line that was allegedly sh1te/carrier, I've now got a full 2Mbps dl on their Starter package.

they got the carrier off it, thats good news. eircom would not do that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

When you say you cant access the router , do you know what ports are blocked. Is MSN blocked ? ?

The router will assign your computer a public IP,
    so no port forwarding needed etc...

Nothing is blocked, so be sure you have a firewall installed,
    or put your own router / firewall behind theirs.

• Advertisement

for example, when I use azureus it shows up as firewalled/nat error. ie I can't access the ports. I may be on a different package from others on account of the fact I am signed up to magnet broadband base and not the full suite. this is due to the fact its not yet available in my area. msn is fine.

but does anyone know anything about how to use a bittorrent client from behind their router. off topic i know but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

With Azureus you can set up UPNP ... not sure if this would help though...

Wiki info - http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/UPnP

UPnP is short for Universal Plug and Play - it is a feature that works with some compatible routers to open the required ports automatically.

... also check out portforwarding.com as they provide a client to set this up ... though at the same time these suggestion may be useless if it something implemented/enforced on Magnets side of the NW

cheers,

however, the 2wire router supplied does not support UPnP. Which is a major pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

The router will assign your computer a public IP,
    so no port forwarding needed etc...

pinksoir wrote:
    however, the 2wire router supplied does not support UPnP. Which is a major pain in the ass.

Why do you need UPnP if your computer is assigned a public, unfiltered, IP?

Advertisement