Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to get wireless??

• 08-09-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi, i apologise in advance if this post sounds stupid or if there are already threads on the issue. I have got NTL broadband but i want to get wireless as i have a latitude D610 with xp prof with SP 2 and wirelsss capabilities that i wnt to use which is not being used much at the moment!

I do not know much about wirelsss and from the bit that ive read i am thinking that all i will need is a wirelsss router or something like that rather than getting rid of ntl and getting a wireless package off some other ISP.

Could anybody advise me on the best way to get wireless??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Buy a wireless access point and connect it to your router set it up in briding mode and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Superdub2 wrote:
    Hi, i apologise in advance if this post sounds stupid or if there are already threads on the issue. I have got NTL broadband but i want to get wireless as i have a latitude D610 with xp prof with SP 2 and wirelsss capabilities that i wnt to use which is not being used much at the moment!

I do not know much about wirelsss and from the bit that ive read i am thinking that all i will need is a wirelsss router or something like that rather than getting rid of ntl and getting a wireless package off some other ISP.

Could anybody advise me on the best way to get wireless??
    "Wireless Broadband" is not the same as "laptop wireless" (in very simple terms).

You just want to add a wireless "receiver" to your NTL broadband network, and then connect your laptop wirelessly to this other device, and through it to the Internet.

While you could get a Wireless Access point, you'd be better off getting a Wireless router - the extra few quid will pay off in improved flexibility in the future (and there's no bridging on an NTL modem).

The Linksys WRT54G comes highly recommended. I use a D-Link DI-524 to connect my PC wirelessllt to my wired broadband and have absolutely no complaints. (And it's cheaper than most Wireless Access Points).

Advertisement