Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network Setup...

• 08-09-2006 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I Currently have a Wireless Network setup in the House.. With 3 other people using it... I am using a Linksys Router...What i want to be able to do is see how much bandwidth each person is using... Also limit there speed if need be?Any Advice?I also have shared folders on a server i have i also want to monitor them if possible who accessed what etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

If you could set up a proxy such as squid and share your internet connection through that, you would be laughing. It has plenty of analysis tools available for it. Downside is,its not terribly easy for the unfamiliar to get to grips with.

Im sure there are plenty of hardware implementations of what you are looking for. They are probably quite pricey though.

But yeah, cheapest way would require you to set up a proxy, where you can centralise and control all internet access by machine

edit: just saw the file sharing question; again, no real easy way of extracting that info. Controlling access and auditing who did what would involve you setting up some kind of file server/domain madness. Alternatively, you could put the files on an ftp box and put this outside of your proxy, and get it to relay all connection requests, that way again, your proxy will control and allow you to analyse who's doing what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Running the traffic through squid will give you the ability to monitor, internet traffc, bandwith, logging ......... (google Squid as a transparent proxy).

IPtables on a linux box with squid will give you the ability to traffic shape and limit bandwidth etc (suggest you use scripts to alter settings on the fly).

As for whos accessing what on the server that can be done using the servers event log/syslog (ull have to google it)

Another option would be to use dd-wrt on the linksys router and turn it into a little linux box. (If the setup goes wrong ur router may die)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I am using a Linksys Router...What i want to be able to do is see how much bandwidth each person is using... Also limit there speed if need be?Any Advice?
    If you have the right version of the Linksys WRT54G, you can replace the firmware with a version that supports traffic monitoring (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ddwrt.php.

I haven't done this, and it's not entirely trivial, but there is a lot of information available on the web about what's involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I've a version 5 WRT54g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I've a version 5 WRT54g
    This list suggests that that version is upgradable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement