Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dampness-oh lordy

Options
  • 08-09-2006 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Signed a lease on a very nice four bedroomed house last week, however there is dampness in the downstairs bedroom. Because im so stupid and never pipe up with what i want im probably stuck with this room for the year. There is a visible patch of mould on one wall. I have no idea of the health consequences(very bad for you i take it?) and what the landlords responsibilities are regarding same, particularly since I signed the lease knowing that this was present (stupid, i know but it was too late to try and look for other accommodation). Id really appreciate any advice anyone may have on what i can get the landlord to do etc. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

From Threshold:

Standards
    Your landlord must, by law, ensure that your flat complies with certain minimum standards (e.g. free from damp, in good structural repair, hot and cold water, adequate means of heating and ventilation, appliances in good working order, electrical wiring, gas, pipes in good repair). If your flat does not comply with these standards, report it to your local authority or the Private Residential Tenancies Board. An inspection will be carried out and the landlord ordered to do any necessary repairs. Contact Threshold, the Private Residential Tenancies Board or your local authority for further advice.

I'd say it to the landlord, and if he doesn't make any moves to get it sorted, then seek advice from Threshold (www.threshold.ie). The fact that you've already signed a lease is irellevant to him getting it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Buy some anti mould spray and spray it on the wall. All over the whole wall where the mould is to be safe. Then make sure vents are not blocked, you dont dry washing on radiators or in the house and open windows or extractor fan when cooking.
    That will keep it away.

If it doesnt it is probably damp and will have to be looked at by your landlord, which he is required to fix, but mostly mould is due to lifestyle. By that i mean clogging up your living environment so there is no exchange of air with outside and then producing more water vapour (even breathing produces litres of water vapour every day. You'll see it on your windows in the mornings).

Causes of mould are usually one of the following.
    1. Dampness.
    2. Bad ventillation.

Dampness requires building work to remedy. Call your landlord.

The most common cause though is bad ventillation.
    Bad ventillation can be - no vent in a room, but is more likely that a person has closed vents.

Vents are there for a reason. To allow saturated air to be exchanged for fresh air. Still damp air will cause mould anywhere, so make sure this is not the case where your mould is. Also once it gets a hold, unless conditions are remedied it will just spread and get worse.

A lot of people close vents and dont open windows and dry wet clothes in the house. This is classically how mould appears, and people just have to air the place and use their chlothes line or chlothes dryer.

Hopefully this will help you out.

Advertisement