Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye NTL

• 08-09-2006 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I used to be very happy with my NTL broadband. Was always unhappy with their very poor customer service when things went wrong ("we'll have an engineer out next week but can only give accuracy to half a day so take a half day off work to let us fix our mistake" is a unacceptable) but in fairness things rarely went wrong.

For the last month and half my connection has been terrible. I have a 250 modem so it's not that, and I'm seeing the same symptoms as others here and its clear the problem is on their end so I'm not prepared to waste my time waiting for an engineer to show to my house when that's not where the problem is.

And to cap it off they're now booting people off for over use without providing a means for monitoring usage, and their claims to have sent out 4 warning letters seem dubious at best.

All in all I feel they don't deserve my business anymore and I'd like to go elsewhere. I also use NTL for digital TV and agree that it is sluggish at best.

I live in Crumlin, D12 and do not currently have a landline. What would be my best option for replacing NTL, broadband definitely, possibly TV too? Are Magnet an option, and would it be a good move?

If anyone else is thinking of leaving NTL post on here cos it might help them get the message that their new business model is crippled by a poor product and customers are starting to walk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Yep , I agree completely !

They have enough bandwidth to send 200 shopping channels down, but not enought for BB :rolleyes:

My guess is that the next step for them is to 'give in' to customer requests by announcing a new Cap-less set of options, but then charging thru the nose for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would go for Smart for BB maybe sky for TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Check out http://www.callcosts.ie/home/default.asp for price comparisons.

Funny thing is, I was half thinking of moving to NTL before I joined Smart.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Smart are a no go down here in Waterford. Their BB product is fine but the phone service is pure ****e. In the last 3 weeks, I have come accross people who have signed up and are now trying to get out because the phone line quality is so bad. Big problem is when someone rings them, the caller cannot hear anybody on the other end. Also, the noise on the line is awlful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Have to agree. Service is gone to **** since the network changes. Pings doubled for a period, random disconnections, traffic routed through Amsterdam, no peerage in INEX, usenet service removed, hilariously rubbish CS, booting people off who supposedly got warning letters but didnt, no bw monitoring tool even though cap is now enforced, removing people for using the service in exactly the same manner as they have for the last 6 years to claw back some performance lost through their own incompetence.

If NTL even send me a warning letter Im cancelling BB along with TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They used to be class, change of network...now they are far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I miss eircom more and more as my isp and i think that says enough....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i havent had a bit of bother with them tbh, in work our eircom ehanced package can be slower than NTLs BB starter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Yip I think I'll be switching over to smart very soon now.

I end up paying 25€ for my phone 40€ for broadband max and I have to pay 20€ for a TV service I don't use as I have Sky. So by switching over to smarts 6MB package fro 65€ I'll be saving 20€ a month or 240€ a year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Its because the same fxcking crowd who run chorus owns them now, and having seen the bb that Chorsh&te provide my dad I had a feeling this would happen. It was a sad day that NTL decided to sell out

Snake :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mojito wrote:
    Yip I think I'll be switching over to smart very soon now.

I end up paying 25€ for my phone 40€ for broadband max and I have to pay 20€ for a TV service I don't use as I have Sky. So by switching over to smarts 6MB package fro 65€ I'll be saving 20€ a month or 240€ a year! :D

And if you are in certain parts of the country, you will then have a ****e phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭schqually

I have tried absolutely every option on their call answering sustem and it is not possible to speak to a person today. This means it is not possible to upgrade a subscription or subscribe to a PPV event.
    I can't give them more money and I'm annoyed at them? Imagine how stupid i feel!
    Anyway, I'm going to try to get out of my contract early with them - any ideas on the best approach to take?
    Anthony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Not sure it would work but if you can 'prove' that they aren't living up to their contractual obligations to provide a decent service you may be able to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Apart from one brief outage I have no reason to complain about the NTL service. It suits me very well.

However I consider it quite unacceptable that they can not be contacted outside normal Monday-Friday office hours. This is a domestic/residential service they're providing which means their service is mostly used when they're not available to deal with customers. Very poor.

I've no plans to change at this time but if I suffer a weekend without service because I can't contact them, I may change my mind quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

Sarsfield wrote:
    Apart from one brief outage I have no reason to complain about the NTL service. It suits me very well.

However I consider it quite unacceptable that they can not be contacted outside normal Monday-Friday office hours. This is a domestic/residential service they're providing which means their service is mostly used when they're not available to deal with customers. Very poor.

I've no plans to change at this time but if I suffer a weekend without service because I can't contact them, I may change my mind quickly.

I know someone who works for NTL and there opening hours are mon to Sat 9am to 8pm for Sales , Customer Service and BB Tech Support and sun 10am to 8pm for Customer Service so they are avail 7 days a week. Bearing in mind when trying to get through to NTL that the call centre staff were told a few weeks ago they are out of a job because they are moving the support to chorus (which I hear is worse then NTL) a lot of people have since left the company to look for new jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Yeah im thinking of leaving. 120 ping during the day is completely unacceptable ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

freefall20 wrote:
    I know someone who works for NTL and there opening hours are mon to Sat 9am to 8pm for Sales , Customer Service and BB Tech Support and sun 10am to 8pm for Customer Service so they are avail 7 days a week.

Well, when I phoned them during my recent outage, I got a recorded message telling me they'd all gone home and that, basically, they were available Mon-Fri 9-6 :confused:

Maybe their automated call directing service was broken, as I've checked the NTL site. The hours you give are correct, but I got the recorded message for the billing dept. hours. I called a couple of times so I'm sure I pressed the right buttons for faults & general enquiries.

Advertisement