Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer parts store in the city?

Options
  • 08-09-2006 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am now needing more computer stuff, as some of it was damaged during my move, as well as possibly just wanting to upgrade. I was wondering if anyone knew of a computer parts store that was cash and carry (ie I can generally pick up items the same day not order and wait) in the city center or at least walking distance.

Specifically I need a computer case (no fans/power supply as those are good but the move horribly damaged my case and it doesnt look like it can be repaired quite the same as it was)

I also need power cables (from the back of the computer to the wall). I only have north american cables and the adapters I am using well I dont like em but they work.

I might also be interested in hard drives and other goodies, worst case I am going back to America to finalize my move, and can get stuff there (probably cheaper too, but meh) and bring it over.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

Maplins near the Blackpool shopping centre is probably your best bet. They have a decent selection of PC components, mostly the unflashy stuff like cases, cables and hard drives, rather than things like cutting-edge graphics cards and processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

Trode wrote:
    Maplins near the Blackpool shopping centre is probably your best bet. They have a decent selection of PC components, mostly the unflashy stuff like cases, cables and hard drives, rather than things like cutting-edge graphics cards and processors.

Where is blackpool? google maps is not being helpful ... I know its a suburb but dont really know where it is. I would really prefer that it be in the city centre but that may not be possible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

The quickest way from the city centre is probably
    -Find the Opera House
    -Cross the bridge near the entrance
    -Keep going straight on this road. If you pass the brewery you're going in the right direction
    -If you keep going, you'll get to a junction where you have to go right up a hill or left and down. Go left.
    - You should see the Blackpool shopping centre on your right as you come off the hill.
    -Go just a bit further and on your right will be a complex with a Reel Picture cinema. In there is a square car park surrounded on three sides by shops. One of them is Maplins(the others include, I think, an Argos and a Carpet World).

It's maybe 15-20 minute walk from the city centre, but I'm a just guessing as I don't walk that way often. Plus I'm quite a slow walker.

Thanks I will go up there tomorrow, at least it will give me a change of scenery. I havent gone too far from the city centre since moving, mostly I get distracted far too easily by blinky lights and shiny things :)

went to maplin today, its not a bad store and at least I know that they have *some* electornic components (resistors, soldering irons, stuff like that). They also have kits which are good for kids and adults to learn and play with electronics (if you are into that, if you have a kid GET THEM KITS or at least the wonder boards that lets em play and experiment - it will be good for their future if they are more knowledgable even if they dont go into the electronics field since electronics arent going away).

The walk there was not bad at all, and google maps does show the shopping centre, I was just not looking far enough north until I had directions there (thanks for that). Some of the area seems a bit dodgy to me, while its probably ok, there seems to be a youth element that is less than socially responsible. But that is just me...

Thanks for the help (again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

trixter wrote:
    there seems to be a youth element that is less than socially responsible.

What an eloquent way of saying you saw some scumbags!

rymus wrote:
    What an eloquent way of saying you saw some scumbags!

I didnt see any actual scumbags, just what appears to have been scumbag droppings. Not to mention dog droppings and bird droppings all over the sidewalk. Dont take your eyes off the walkway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

indeed not.. or your wallet... or in some cases, your internal organs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Bloody americans, coming over here, highlight our scumbags, litter, high prices, et cetera. (You forgot high prices. And the gardaí. And the construction, and all the apartments, and the smell of the river at low tide. And PROC ffs, PROC!)

PS. Welcome to Cork. I shouldn't love it, but I do.

daveohdave wrote:
    Bloody americans, coming over here, highlight our scumbags, litter, high prices, et cetera. (You forgot high prices. And the gardaí. And the construction, and all the apartments, and the smell of the river at low tide. And PROC ffs, PROC!)

PS. Welcome to Cork. I shouldn't love it, but I do.

garda I dont have a problem with (nor any ability to type fadas on this keyboard) other than immigration - we cant help you call dublin, dublin says 'we cant help you unless you live in dublin call cork'. Round and round I go til I am dizzy and fall over.

High prices I am not that unaccustomed to as I did live in Edinburgh for a bit and its not that different here :P Plus I made a killing off of the high prices a few years ago when I sold mp3 players and other stuff from america where its nice and cheap. And I can still get stuff from there for personal use easily enough, so the only high prices I deal with are on cash and carry items :)

The construction here is less intrusive than where I lived in america. Its taken them over 2 years to pave 1 mile of road. Yet there are people 'working' almost every day. Hmm..

There arent enough apartments, were there more the rent would be less. So hizzah for the apartments that are here :P

I live right on the river and only smell it when I cross a bridge. Although the other day I did walk by a garda station and I swear it smelt like they just raided a brothel. The river had overflowed infront of the building earlier in the day.

Any other comments? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 whateveryoulike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

trixter wrote:
    garda I dont have a problem with
    Me neither. I'm just pissed cos of my six revenue-generation-specials penalty points.
    High prices I am not that unaccustomed to
    Doesn't make it right. We're being f*cked in Ireland, and the worst thing is the accepting attitude.
    The construction here is less intrusive than where I lived in america. Its taken them over 2 years to pave 1 mile of road.
    We farmed all our road construction out to private contractors, and now the roads are built at a much faster pace. Still the same old **** Cork roads though. Cork road workers seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about the whole process. Straight lines are a definite problem. Driving along a Cork road feels much akin to a session in a bouncy castle. Now the Waterford folk, they know how to build roads.
    There arent enough apartments, were there more the rent would be less. So hizzah for the apartments that are here
    I wasn't talking about quantity, I was talking about obtrusiveness. Course there's the arcitecture too, with beautiful buildings like the Clarion juxtaposed against horrendous monstrosities like the old Telecom building. A building that makes me want to find the architect responsible and vomit down his throat (sorry).
    I live right on the river and only smell it when I cross a bridge.
    You haven't experiences a good Lee low tide yet, believe me. :)

daveohdave wrote:
    You haven't experiences a good Lee low tide yet, believe me. :)

Does it smell like a 50 cent hooker at the docks on payday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Just to return to the original topic :D - I got a pretty decently priced power supply from Cork Computer Clinic (they were the cheapest, admittedly that was before Maplin, but hey, they ain't cheap either). They're across from Lee Garage (South Mall) just cross the River at the end of Grand Parade turn left walk along the River towards City Hall. You will see Lee Garage on your right, can't miss ist. CCC is just across.
    Otherwise there isn't much left in the way of computer components, actually Argos have some of the less esoteric ones, I think HDD's and peripherals. Soundstore stocks some as well but are (a) clueless and (b) expensive.
    Check out Komplett.ie although shipping is always a bummer for small items ..

morgana wrote:
    Just to return to the original topic :D - I got a pretty decently priced power supply from Cork Computer Clinic (they were the cheapest, admittedly that was before Maplin, but hey, they ain't cheap either). They're across from Lee Garage (South Mall) just cross the River at the end of Grand Parade turn left walk along the River towards City Hall. You will see Lee Garage on your right, can't miss ist. CCC is just across.
    Otherwise there isn't much left in the way of computer components, actually Argos have some of the less esoteric ones, I think HDD's and peripherals. Soundstore stocks some as well but are (a) clueless and (b) expensive.
    Check out Komplett.ie although shipping is always a bummer for small items ..

Thanks, however I am going back to america to finalize my move and will pick up a bunch of stuff there. One big difference in prices in america is the sales tax/VAT issue. In america sales tax is *only* applied when it is sold to the end customer, never to a reseller. In IE (and most if not all the EU) VAT is applied every time a product changes hands. The IE gov example of how the 21% VAT works really made it work out to 50% of the end sale price!

I have a certificate for america that lets me buy without paying sales tax (legally) and sell to anyone that is outside the state I operated in (legally) and if I sell to myself outside that state I legally dont have to pay tax :D I will just toss a ton of stuff in a bag and take it over. Without really looking anywhere prices for like 250GB SATA II drives are like 50 EUR there. Dual core pentium D 3.4GHz chips are like 135EUR. I havent looked here, but I'd imagine they are considerably more. I am inherently cheap, even when totally drunk and can barely walk I refuse a taxi because it costs money :P Must be my scottish ancestory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 legalimmigrant

trixter wrote:
    Thanks, however I am going back to america to finalize my move and will pick up a bunch of stuff there. One big difference in prices in america is the sales tax/VAT issue. In america sales tax is *only* applied when it is sold to the end customer, never to a reseller. In IE (and most if not all the EU) VAT is applied every time a product changes hands. The IE gov example of how the 21% VAT works really made it work out to 50% of the end sale price!

Stunningly incorrect, that.

VAT is not the same as a sales tax. If you find yourself charging VAT (which is optional until you're selling X euro of stuff per quarter, and compulsory after), you deduct any VAT you paid in the course of your business from the amount you send to the Revenue.

VAT's only ever charged once (net), at the point the goods move from the possession of someone who collects VAT for the Revenue, to the possession of someone who doesn't. Everyone else claims it back.

Stunningly incorrect, that.

VAT is not the same as a sales tax. If you find yourself charging VAT (which is optional until you're selling X euro of stuff per quarter, and compulsory after), you deduct any VAT you paid in the course of your business from the amount you send to the Revenue.

VAT's only ever charged once (net), at the point the goods move from the possession of someone who collects VAT for the Revenue, to the possession of someone who doesn't. Everyone else claims it back.

Your description makes it the same as sales tax, thanks for clarifying that it is infact the same.

I guess I misunderstood what the irigsh government itself said about VAT. They did not mention anything about deducting VAT when they described the inflation of a 100 euro item going upto 600 euro as it went from manurafcturer to customer. I cant find this article again, and perhaps the rules changed since (it was about 2 years ago when I looked this up). The original document I read said punt, although the euro was in use at that time, however revenue.ie insisted that it was accurate information when I read it.

Carousel fraud comments would seem to indicate that people are buying VAT free from EU meber states (not getting rebates but not paying VAT in the first place).

As for the amounts that are required in Ireland its like 55k EUR for goods (which doesnt incl vat but does incl the cost of the goods that are resold) or 27k EUR for services, both are per annum. Those arent really that high before you have to start charging VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Trixter, LI is correct. Please see wikipedia for a description and example of the difference between VAT and US-style sales tax.

More reading, less typing.

Trixter, LI is correct. Please see wikipedia for a description and example of the difference between VAT and US-style sales tax.

More reading, less typing.

yes more reading less typing may be in order, specifically the fact that I admitted that the information I had may not be accurate. The only thing I suggested he was wrong on, and he was, was when he implied that sales tax appies to each transfer along the way. It doesnt.

I even cited additional information that goes along with what LI said, which further proves that I was admitting the information I provided (which was from iirc oasis.gov.ie somewhere but its been a while so I may not remember that correctly, it may have been revenue.ie or something) was incorrect.

Please if you are going to tell me I am wrong, read everything that I have typed, and dont try to correct me days after I corrected myself, basically telling me that I was right when I corrected myself.

Advertisement