Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement etiquette?

• 08-09-2006 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with popping the big question? Ive been told you have to spent 4 times your monthly wage on a ring. to be honest i can't afford that

would it be ok to offer the girl an old engagement ring thats been in the family,(the original owner has since passed away) or is that a bit weird?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My husband bought an antique engagement ring for me - no idea of price as I wasn't consulted...the only thing that mattered to me was that it came with a proposal of marriage to the man I loved - can't imagine you are marrying a girl who checks the price tag of her engagement ring & calculates what percentage of your wage it cost so just go for something you like, I think the family heirloom sounds lovely! Congrats in advance! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

giftgrub wrote:
    Ive been told you have to spent 4 times your monthly wage on a ring. to be honest i can't afford that

Bollax. You spend what you can afford. You should not (or she should not) pick a ring by it's price. She should pick one she wants because she likes the ring not the price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You're welcoming her to be your family now by giving her an heirloom. Very nice gesture - as long as the ring is nice! What does it look like?

Double post... Sorry.

giftgrub wrote:
    would it be ok to offer the girl an old engagement ring thats been in the family,(the original owner has since passed away) or is that a bit weird?

I'd ask her tbh. Maybe pop the question with that ring and then let her make the choice if she wants a new one. Congrats by the way :)

If you do decide to buy new may I suggest www.cooldiamonds.co.uk which is where my wife (only got engaged last year, married in December) picked hers. Would also be worth while searching for threads on engagement rings as I know good advice has been given buying in New York and Dubai. Better that than getting ripped off at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

giftgrub wrote:
    Whats the story with popping the big question? Ive been told you have to spent 4 times your monthly wage on a ring. to be honest i can't afford that

I always heard that it was 2 months wages. But to be honest it's all rubbish. Like the others have said, pay what you can afford.

If you think she'd like the family ring then go for it.
    There's a good engagement ring thread here that might be of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

spend what you can afford, it would be terrible to start of a relationship in debt. Believe me the ring will be the cheapest part of getting married. When you factor in a house, wedding etc. If it was me i would give the antique

Congratulations,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're welcoming her to be your family now by giving her an heirloom.
    Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

take her to the ring shop and ask her what she likes the bottom line is you don't have to wear it for the rest of your life she does, so she should like the ring, also all her girlie friends will be checking it out, I suggest if any of her mates are engaged check out their rings, to get a better idea, I would suggest not going cheap on the engagement ring the wedding ring will cost less. Get a loan and splash out she will thank you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Yeah spend what you can afford, also 4 months wage is a big ring and she may not want to wear something so expensive. I know from talking to my girlfriend she wouldn't want anything over 1000-1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If the old engagement ring is nice, I'd definitely use that, love the idea of proposing to someone with a ring that was a mark of a successful marriage. If it's not to her taste, any good jewellers will be able to re-set the stone(s) in a new ring which would save you a fortune as well as keeping the heirloom going.

Personally, I'd propose with that ring and let her know if she doesn't like it, you're happy to have it reset in a different setting (it'll probably need re-adjustment to fit her finger anyway). A friend of mine recently proposed to his girlfriend with his granny's engagement ring and she was chuffed to bits about the fact it was an heirloom rather than something he'd just picked from a catalogue :)

EDIT: whoever told you an engagement ring should cost 4 months salary was having a laugh imho. You'd be spending WAY too much on a ring for someone to comfortably wear it on a daily basis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The old ring is a great idea, I would use it. I don't go along with buying expensive wedding rings or whatever other people set as the correct price to buy one. I'd rather (and she probably would) that you save your money for the future, house or whatever instead, just my opinion. Congratulations and best of luck, let us know how you get on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

We've been together 7 years, if i spent crazy money on a ring i'd probably get a slap!..............now to pluck up the courage.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

be a romantic, send her this thread! :p

Have you decided on a location/setting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea I heard that 4 times your salary thing recently and nearly fell off my chair!

Fecking lunacy

2 times was what I was going on before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can I just point out that you're getting to spend the rest of your life with the girl, so I think four months salary is a good trade-off for that ;)

On a serious note, I think a vintage heirloom ring is tres romantic, think of the history attached and the long and happy marriage the previous owner had, and preferable to a new one in many ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

giftgrub wrote:

i know what my ring cost- it wasnt anywhere close to 4 times a monthly wage but it didnt matter-I think a ring from the family is the best thing you can give-It shows how imporyant they are you you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

And diamond mining is terribly harmful to the environment and usually involves the displacement and near-slave labour of the local people. Using a family ring is an ethical solution.;)

Perhaps you could confide in one of your g'friends friends and ask her what she thinks of the ring. She might have a better idea of her taste in jewellery than you do. No offence, it's just that women often discuss their dream engagement ring with their girlfriends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My partner got 2 diamonds from an antique jewlery sale and the saphire from his parents and got it made up himself...in the end of the day it is priceless to me, all that I ever cared about was being his, not the ring (though I did cry when I first saw it)...a ring that has been in the family sounds lovely and very romantic. Oh, and congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Antique antiquue antique. Go for it. It's a great idea. Don't even consider a new one. Reset if if she insists, but she won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

giftgrub wrote:

As suggested elsewhere consider using it as the basis for making a more modern piece. [Pimp my ring soto speak:) ]This can work out well. and gets away from the problem that the ring, unaltered, was from a dead person, I have seen that issue before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

giftgrub wrote:
    Bull. It used to be a month's wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

As others have said don't make your decision based on price. Spend what you can afford but the most important thing is that she likes the ring.

Does your girlfriend like antique jewellary? If so then the heirloom is a nice gesture. It really depends on the person though. I personally would hate it but thats because I generally don't like that sort of jewellary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ye can get whopper ringz in da argos

its da tought da' countz init

;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Congrats! If the family ring is meaningful in some way, sure, it may be a way to go. I could never get into the engagement ring thing. So much money for a couple starting out that could be better spent on other things. Your relationship is the most important thing, not the symbols on someone's fingers. If surprise is not an important element for you two, then perhaps you might ask her about this, too?

Advertisement