Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to change chain

Options
  • 08-09-2006 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

I've a trek 7200fx which I use mostly for travel to work.

I bought it new and there's about 2000 or so miles on it in the year.
    I'm wondering when the chain should need to be changed. Obviously I want to avoid excess wear on the sprockets if the chain is worn.

Is there an easy way of checking the wear? How hard is it to change the chain myself - just get the tool to split the chain, there doesn't seem to be much more to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Place a ruler against the side of the chain, with the 0 mark at the centre of a rivet. Count off 12 complete links on the chain. On a new chain this will be exactly 12 inches. If it's 1/16th longer it's a bit worn and you should consider replacing it, if it's 1/8th longer it's way too worn.

They're easy to replace - just get a chain tool and shorten the new chain to match the old one (assuming it's the correct length).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I got a new chain recently, and it has one link that is hand-removeable. It's an SRAM powerlink I believe.

Handy thing to have!

Advertisement