Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Laptop

• 08-09-2006 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I bought a laptop a year ago and the thing is a piece of crap. It's a toshiba. I don't know the exact spec. The thing is it is so slow. It can take 5-6 mins to start.

Does anyone know where I can take it for someone to give it a thorough check to see what is wrong with it? I would really like to get use of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Have you tried:

- Defragmenting the hard drive?
    - Checking for viruses/spyware?
    - Ensuring the hard disk has plenty of free space?
    - Uninstalling unnecessary software?
    - Installing more RAM?

If taking the above measures doesn't fix your problems, then you should reformat your hard disk and reinstall Windows. In my experience, computer repair guys aren't usually worth giving money to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Without info on the current spec, it is harder to know what the problem is. What is the model of the Toshiba?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Could be spyware, virus, dodgy hard drive....the laptop itself is probably largely fine.

Always make sure you have the latest antivirus and anti-spyware/adware tools installed.

Free antivirus: free.grisoft.com
    Free anti-Spyware/Adware: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Try installing and running both those apps, see how you get on. It might be, and often is, all that is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ultimately the best option is to reinstall windows from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Stephanos wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can take it for someone to give it a thorough check to see what is wrong with it?
    These guys are always advertising on the radio, no personal experience but the consultation is free.

The above advice is all good but the problem could be in a multitude of places. Unless you have time and the know-how getting somebody in might be your best bet. Do you not have a techie that in work that might take a look for a nominal consideration?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

PaschalNee wrote:
    These guys are always advertising on the radio, no personal experience but the consultation is free.

The above advice is all good but the problem could be in a multitude of places. Unless you have time and the know-how getting somebody in might be your best bet. Do you not have a techie that in work that might take a look for a nominal consideration?

Yea exactly. The BF took a look and he is in IT and couldn't figure it out. I wouln't be able to do any of those things suggested. I think bringing it to someone is the easiest solution. I just want to be able to use it.

Advertisement